Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM

49 posts, read 247,921 times

Advertisements

I think we found our future home, but want ya'lls opinion on the East Lake neighborhood please? We know it's in older area, not like St Elmo/Highland Park homes, but curious about type/mix of people there. Do any of you live there? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanx!
Viki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Good morning Giz. I work just down the road from there and cruise the neighborhood often. On a good note, there is a wonderful park and pond there that we love to go to for lunch or on the weekends for play and a few homes that I just LOVE! It's close to the interstate too. There is a large ethnic mix in that area and alot of low income families that make it their home. I have had several different opinions of that area from residents that make it hard to say. Some can't wait to move because of the existing and potential crime and the schools. Others have lived there all their lives and would never dream of leaving. Sadly, it's not one of our up and coming areas and I doubt the housing values will increase. Maybe I will zip up there and take some pics for you.

Moderator cut: copy write issues

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-29-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Thank you in advance if you take pictures. I wanted to come up again this weekend, but hubby doesn't want to waste the money on another trip. The address is 4104 12th Ave., I looked at the neighborhood thru Virtual Earth, didn't look to bad, lol. I looked up East Lake Elem., there scores weren't bad. I looked at the school's site pictures and see the good mix of students also.

And now I'm worried, you mentioned crime, do you know what kind? My husband has a customized truck and this house doesn't have a garage and now I'm scared!!!

Moderator cut: orphaned

Thanx!
Viki

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-29-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 PM

You are so welcome though I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Of course, my opinion is only one of many... This area is mostly going to deal with petty larceny and things of that nature. On the virtual earth map you will see Dodds Avenue one block away. This is where we see most of the pedestrian traffic, mostly local residents cruising to the corner market. At night there is alot of that.

Here's a link to our neighborhood associations that maybe you could use to contact the people "in the know". I found a few that might be helpful including Cedar Hills Improvement League, Clifton Hills, E Lake N. Assoc and E Lake Community Council:

http://www.chattanooga.gov/Files/NeighborhoodAssociationPresidents.xls (broken link)

We have some projects at the corner of I24 and 4th Avenue, well away from East Lake however, these children will be attenting E Lake Elem and Academy. This may not be a problem now but as the children get older it could lead to trouble. I don't mean to be harsh and I am the last one who could berate at any in the lower income bracket but situations like this lead to parent/s who work 2 jobs and are too busy to attend their children or who just don't care and this leads to trouble. The children are left to their own devices and as they get older this can lead to trouble, for them and their community.

There are certain blocks that seem to be standing the test of time and still retain their charm. Homeowners who refuse to give up their beloved community and neighborhood. The park is truly a thing of beauty and during the warmer months it is filled with children and ducks lol Dads even bring their little children to "fish" in the pond as there are small fish and turtles there

On a side note, that's a great deal you found! I can see why you are excited. I will do my best to get you some more pics so you can see what you think.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoviki73 View Post
Thank you in advance if you take pictures. I wanted to come up again this weekend, but hubby doesn't want to waste the money on another trip. The address is 4104 12th Ave., I looked at the neighborhood thru Virtual Earth, didn't look to bad, lol. I looked up East Lake Elem., there scores weren't bad. I looked at the school's site pictures and see the good mix of students also.

And now I'm worried, you mentioned crime, do you know what kind? My husband has a customized truck and this house doesn't have a garage and now I'm scared!!!

Moderator cut: orphaned

Thanx!
Viki
I wouldn't want my nice truck parked in East Lake. Too bad the crime is so high, because the park is really nice and the old homes have awesome architectural value.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 44,230 times
Overall, this is a rougher area. The elementary school is on the state's list for high priority schools. It is improving slowly. Visit the house in the evening and the weekend to make sure the neighborhood is the right fit for you. Best of luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Ok Giz, I got some pics for you but as it was Sunday and everyone was out I didn't get too many of the homes in the area. People kept looking at me funny lol I can always get that for you during lunch. I did speak to the owner/renter? of the home just next to the one you are looking at as he was outside working on his car. He says that his main issues with the area are the schools and the drugs. The elementary was ok but he is concerned about the middle school. He said that at night you don't dare go to the local convenience store on the next block (Dodds Ave). The pushers are out there big time. He grew up in E Lake and it's home to him but he uses great caution regarding his children. I spoke to another who lived there 40 years and he was upset about all the homes becoming rentals. He said that he has lived next to every color and kind. His major concerns were the drugs and rising ethnic mix. While we were there playing a couple and their friend actually smoked pot on a bench right next to the playground @ 11 o'clock in the morning

Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ok Giz, I got some pics for you but as it was Sunday and everyone was out I didn't get too many of the homes in the area. People kept looking at me funny lol I can always get that for you during lunch. I did speak to the owner/renter? of the home just next to the one you are looking at as he was outside working on his car. He says that his main issues with the area are the schools and the drugs. The elementary was ok but he is concerned about the middle school. He said that at night you don't dare go to the local convenience store on the next block (Dodds Ave). The pushers are out there big time. He grew up in E Lake and it's home to him but he uses great caution regarding his children. I spoke to another who lived there 40 years and he was upset about all the homes becoming rentals. He said that he has lived next to every color and kind. His major concerns were the drugs and rising ethnic mix. While we were there playing a couple and their friend actually smoked pot on a bench right next to the playground @ 11 o'clock in the morning
AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!! Is all I can say. I wonder if the police are affraid of this neighborhood?!?!? I don't know what to do, we are running out of time and having no luck in finding a place. Hubby said we can just get an alarm for his truck, a guard dog and alarm for the house, live there one year and find a better place. At least we'd make the one person you talked to happy, we're in our early 30's and caucasion, LOL.

Viki

Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Gizmo, are you set on East Lake? I do not think you'll be happy there. Have you looked into Brainerd and East Ridge areas? They are full of older homes at reasonable prices, in much safer areas (although there are a couple of areas to avoid such as Tunnel Blvd). Are you renting or buying?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 AM

McMar~We can only rent right now and we're getting the catch 22, can't get a job till we have a local address and can't get a rental till we have a job. The owner of this house, knows are situation and is working with us. And yes, I was already warned about the "Ridge" and Tunnel Blvd. And the ones we're offered from my ads, are for old mobile homes in the middle of no where, to far a drive to Chattanooga. I'm not going to have any hair left on my head if this continues, lol. I have to find humor in something I guess.

Viki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga