Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM

111 posts, read 561,568 times

Advertisements

Has Chattanooga had very many serious tornados? Please tell me that the topography protects Chattanooga somehow. I've been worried about moving my family to Chattanooga after seeing the tornado damage in Tenessee on TV today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,879,411 times
Default YES, Mountain reduce.

YES< MARY: Welcome, we told ya what you wish to hear. More info/comments on the main/ state board.
Two years ago MARCH there was identical event,(Memphis , N.W. Corner of state, KY border. Again, quite few dead, just when we were halfway getting house built,(NO basement). Always second doubts.
The more East , temperature has effect not to be so strong of gradient change(Damage). Two months ago we did have the church roof damage, no deaths in Kimball, I-24 west of Chatt. Yes Walden ridge plateau may help breakup rotation effect.
Say HELLO when you get here.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 8,581 times
We have had several severe tornadoes touch down here in Chattanooga over the years. They say if you live in the mountains, you don't have to worry. That is not true. I live in Lookout Valley, surrounded by mountains, and it tore our valley up last April of 2011. But it is a beautiful place to live and the people are about the friendliest people I know. Especially out here where we live. They have great shelters you can put in the ground for safety.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM

611 posts, read 2,000,177 times
I think the statistic I heard was: We've had more tornadoes in the last 10 mos then we've had in the last 60 years.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM

600 posts, read 2,262,679 times

As you can see, we are not officially in Tornado Alley, but it can happen if the weather conditions are right. We have had a few over the past couple of years, but we could also go another 60 years without having one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga