Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 AM

152 posts, read 247,413 times

Advertisements

Rare but they do happen. Saw in 2011. How does the community prepare? Safe rooms built? Costs?
What is the intensity- not like in TX, OK we're aware. Still scary! At least we have a weeks warning with a hurricane coming. Just like any advice. Our friends say, a lot of bad lightning, wind storms this spring through June.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,877,153 times
F,: You live in FLA , here is states LINK ranking. The Disaster Center Risk of Tornado by State .. YES, North Georgia , just under Chatt city had damage 2011. There is Warning. In March with TWC tv Torcon possibly #'s for Kansas & Okla , we get their weather about two days later. Not quite severe, but ripe conditions.. Chatt has Three local TV channels. At
least two go to live continuous coverage on a nasty day .. Drug store big promo's for these N.O.A. program radios. Have one in Fla .? I would say about 30% of houses here have basements.. Lots of slope land here, & many waterfront houses, lower level have walk out design.. Most others are the Bi-level , or Split entry , prior known as raised ranches in other parts of country. Our other ranch or senior single level houses are build on crawl space , (About 3 to 4 foot high ) I store
canoes in ours over winter.. I am still trying to chain saw down big trees. Pick a house with not many BIG trees over the roof.
College SCHOLARSHIPS: If your kids are upper % should have shot at good grants.? Two kids in Soddy (one girl ,1 boy ) & one girl in Hixson got $100 K scholarships this spring , can go to any college in nation. . Any out of town forum members can read the online newspaper everyday Chattanooga News | timesfreepress.com

Old 07-01-2013, 03:22 PM

249 posts, read 660,037 times
You may not have considered this, but hurricanes quite often spawn tornadoes as well. In fact, I'd say you have a better chance of getting hit with a tornado from a hurricane than you do getting hit with one around here. Yes, 2011 and 2012 were a bit active, but there probably wasn't a single touchdown in the 10 years before that.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
You may not have considered this, but hurricanes quite often spawn tornadoes as well. In fact, I'd say you have a better chance of getting hit with a tornado from a hurricane than you do getting hit with one around here. Yes, 2011 and 2012 were a bit active, but there probably wasn't a single touchdown in the 10 years before that.
Rare a tornado hits below Orlando. Usually if any, mid to north Fla. Remember, I'm an insurance agent.
Handled devastated insured's, homes destroyed by Andrew 1992 and more recently, Wilma. Cat 1 but did a lot of damage to roofs, fencing, screen patios etc. It's no fun, any of these storms! You know women- they get worked up over extreme storms.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlmom View Post
Rare a tornado hits below Orlando. Usually if any, mid to north Fla. Remember, I'm an insurance agent.
Handled devastated insured's, homes destroyed by Andrew 1992 and more recently, Wilma. Cat 1 but did a lot of damage to roofs, fencing, screen patios etc. It's no fun, any of these storms! You know women- they get worked up over extreme storms.
I know since I can remember, there have been 8 fatalities from tornadoes in Hamilton County. All of them were from 1 tornado in 2011. If that tells you anything.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I know since I can remember, there have been 8 fatalities from tornadoes in Hamilton County. All of them were from 1 tornado in 2011. If that tells you anything.
Oh. Any loss of life is one too many. My brother is a Lt. Firefighter here and I hear stories of innocent people. Hopefully no more that violent. Was that in a mobile home area? Mobile homes here are very risky, can hardly obtain insurance bc of the risk. Blown away in a Cat. 3-5 hurricane.
Rick on here posted a long response to my questions. It was good of him and he had good points as well.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Oh. Any loss of life is one too many. My brother is a Lt. Firefighter here and I hear stories of innocent people. Hopefully no more that violent. Was that in a mobile home area? Mobile homes here are very risky, can hardly obtain insurance bc of the risk. Blown away in a Cat. 3-5 hurricane.
Rick on here posted a long response to my questions. It was good of him and he had good points as well.
I'm also a Lt. in a volunteer department, and did search and rescue for those tornadoes. But I'll say this, I wish other causes of death only killed 8 people in the last 20 years. In just my city alone (all 12,000 people) there have been 4 traffic fatalities this year. To worry about tornadoes is somewhat pointless.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'm also a Lt. in a volunteer department, and did search and rescue for those tornadoes. But I'll say this, I wish other causes of death only killed 8 people in the last 20 years. In just my city alone (all 12,000 people) there have been 4 traffic fatalities this year. To worry about tornadoes is somewhat pointless.
Look at you! Engineer and FF right on. Oh yes, it's a difficult job and sacrifice. I wish bro & wife could move now, he has property outside of Knox. But he has 10 more years. He's burned out on FL. We all are.
He's working in the wealthiest zip code in our country in Palm Bch. Mostly medical calls. The famous Breakers hotel almost burned to the ground last year but not too many fires. He recently saved a retired TN doctor, Chatt area that has a place down here. Bro made FF of 2012. But those rich chics and dudes, older, run the town. It's very stressful. Run like a military. ugh Got that way after the Great recession no less.
Are you FF for Hamilton cty? While I was visiting my girlfriend, July 2011, she had an episode (won't post on here) and paramedics came to the house. I stayed with the kids. Maybe you were at that call?! 3 FF came. Wouldn't that be something- small world. People are so screwed up here, drinking, drugs and I just can't stand it and don't want my precious teens (how can that be, I'm only 30 Lol) being exposed to it. No way, I'm (yes single mother) I'm finally saying it. The ex is an engineer. out of here! It is all I have known and the whole move is scary but I have to go to a better life. Hopefully Chatt is it and I will make some good friendships. I'm very friendly but have become leary from the freaks here. TMI sorry. Okay stay safe and that is not easy. I don't care if it's volunteer.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Look at you! Engineer and FF right on. Oh yes, it's a difficult job and sacrifice. I wish bro & wife could move now, he has property outside of Knox. But he has 10 more years. He's burned out on FL. We all are.
I'm a FF with soddy daisy fire dept. I know various people through hamilton county's different departments though (Hamilton County has 9 county funded fire departments, and there are 5 municipal departments).

Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
F,: You live in FLA , here is states LINK ranking. The Disaster Center Risk of Tornado by State .. YES, North Georgia , just under Chatt city had damage 2011. There is Warning. In March with TWC tv Torcon possibly #'s for Kansas & Okla , we get their weather about two days later. Not quite severe, but ripe conditions.. Chatt has Three local TV channels. At
least two go to live continuous coverage on a nasty day .. Drug store big promo's for these N.O.A. program radios. Have one in Fla .? I would say about 30% of houses here have basements.. Lots of slope land here, & many waterfront houses, lower level have walk out design.. Most others are the Bi-level , or Split entry , prior known as raised ranches in other parts of country. Our other ranch or senior single level houses are build on crawl space , (About 3 to 4 foot high ) I store
canoes in ours over winter.. I am still trying to chain saw down big trees. Pick a house with not many BIG trees over the roof.
College SCHOLARSHIPS: If your kids are upper % should have shot at good grants.? Two kids in Soddy (one girl ,1 boy ) & one girl in Hixson got $100 K scholarships this spring , can go to any college in nation. . Any out of town forum members can read the online newspaper everyday Chattanooga News | timesfreepress.com
Appreciate your links, input and friendly manner! It's welcoming to an outsider whom is still gathering information about the area. Thanks. FTLMOM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga