Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,417 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Chattanooga after attending college in Philadelphia. I grew up in the Northeast in a very liberal atmosphere. In fact, most of my friends have never been in a long-term relationship. I noticed that there is a different cultural trend here in the southeast. After being here for six months, I still haven't found my place. Unlike many of peers here, I'm a single, non-religious female who knows little about playing pool,hiking, or football. I don't have any children or family here. I consider myself an avid reader and former party girl.

What are other ways that I can integrate into the local community?

Any suggested are appreciated :]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,363,685 times
You can try volunteering. I have met a low of people, from different backgrounds and perspectives, from volunteering in/around the community in which I'm living.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,417 times
That's a good idea.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM

9 posts, read 10,943 times
ever consider joining the YMCA or some type of gym, or even a community dance class?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,814,399 times
I totally agree with volunteering. The animal shelters always need help, and I'm sure there are other places (sorry, can't think of them at this moment). The Y is fun but can still be a bit religious. I think there is a hiking club there you could join.

It's a challenge to find a niche. My husband and I moved from PA to Chattanooga. We lived there for 3 years and never found our place. His job turned sour so we moved to a more liberal, progressive city. It's better for us.

I do hope you find a community. I know how lonely and isolating it can be. Best of luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,849 times
I hope you get this message, Bubbli.
I too am a progressive, nonreligious, twenty-something, unmarried New Englander living in Chattanooga. Although my boyfriend moved here with me, we've had a hard time finding our place as well. In fact, we're still searching. Making new friends is so hard here! But rest assured there ARE awesome people out there. Feel free to PM me. We should keep in touch about cool events in/around downtown.
--Frankie

Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM

249 posts, read 662,001 times
If you want to find like-minded folks, you need to go to places they frequent. For example, places like JJs Bohemia at MLK and Houston streets specializes in indie and local music acts, and attracts a younger, liberal crowd. Most of the downtown bars will attract similar. I'm in my late 20's and single, and most of my friends are single or just started getting married.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 8,210 times
Sounds like you need to get into Roller Derby. The Chattanooga Roller Girls are having boot camps for fresh meat in Feb. There have been a lot of transplants that have joine dthe team and found their place.
chattanoogarollergirls.com
What other hobbies do you have? I'm sure there are some book clubs all around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga