Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,525 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are soon to relocate to this beautiful city from Baton Rouge. We are both in love with the downtown area. We want live within 10-15 minutes of d-town. We spent all day today looking for homes. We have narrowed it down to two options. Between the two, we really fell in love with the house in the Missionary Ridge area. It's near I-24 and Seminole RD area. Can anyone please advise if this area is safe? Or is the area is declining in anyway? We want to settle in Chattanooga and stay long term, but don't want to regret where we buy 5-10 years down the road. We don't have children, yet, but plan on having them soon. So schools will be important to us in the near future. The other place we are thinking of is in Hixson. We like the house less, but the area more. I thank you in advance for taking time to read this and your consideration. God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
I (along with my wife and 3 very young kids) lived on Missionary Ridge from '06-'08. Fantastic location in Chattanooga - convenient to everything. Amazing views of downtown - I recall setting up lawn chairs on our front yard for each 4th of July - we viewed several fireworks displays.

Generally safe - but you're close to questionable/sketchy areas of the city. Another big downside: (unless things have drastically changed) the public schools (for Missionary Ridge) were awful. The families that we knew with school-aged children (on Missionary Ridge) all went to private schools. For public schools, I highly recommend Signal Mountain and will defer to locals for other public schools.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM

340 posts, read 1,511,536 times
I think drfranklin's comments are accurate -- lots of value and positive benefits but with a few concerns. We've lived in the area for four years and would make the same choice again.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 AM

197 posts, read 212,914 times
Well. there are other alternatives. Those are both nice areas. But you might consider others such as Alton Park before you make a final decision.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 AM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
The previous poster is joking or mistaken. Alton Park is not safe at all. I would also avoid Missionary Ridge due to a huge increase in crime, mostly break-ins and car theft. I would look downtown in the Southside, Fort Wood or Northshore areas.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 28,021 times
whoever said Alton Park is not serious...Alton park is a highly dangerous area of town, and there are not many homes. The homes that are there are surrounded by urban decay. Missionary Ridge is beautiful, but school zoning is very bad. You would have to invest in private school if you were interested in living up there.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyRsunny View Post
whoever said Alton Park is not serious...Alton park is a highly dangerous area of town, and there are not many homes. The homes that are there are surrounded by urban decay. Missionary Ridge is beautiful, but school zoning is very bad. You would have to invest in private school if you were interested in living up there.
Some areas of Alton Park are safe. Few, but some.

Missionary Ridge is good. Old, beautiful, historic homes. Doctors and Attorneys live on Missionary Ridge. Silverdale area eliminates you short commute into downtown. North Chattanooga is a very growing area. Signal Mountain has been the hot place to live for about a decade or so. I wouldn't do that drive everyday, though. Lookout Mountain is "old money" and real estate can be VERY expensive. Same with the drive, though. Not for me. East Brainerd around the mall and outlying subdivisions are populating by leaps and bounds, which makes for some heinous traffic.

Areas to avoid like the plague: East Chattanooga, Highland Park, East Lake, Brainerd, Hwy 58 area. HIGH CRIME AREAS with heavy gang activity.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
I love the homes on missionary ridge. Fantastic place. I myself have lived in Brainerd for 43 yrs, I wouldn't call it crime ridden with tons of gang activity. It depends on what area of Brainerd you live in. I live on the end close to East Brainerd and have zero issues. East Brainerd and beyond, if you have to take those rodes are a nightmare.
If you think you can afford the private schools in the future , take the home on the ridge. I have always joked though, $400k homes on the top and drive 2 blocks down and you're at $40K. It is a weird spot, lol.
If you do worry about break ins and the such, just put up cameras, inexpensive investment these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga