Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 28,882 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and my husband just informed me he wants a divorce. I am scared to death as I havent found a job yet, everything is in his name and he has already begun hiding funds and preparing to leave me with nothing. We do not have children. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a very strong divorce attorney. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM

35 posts, read 166,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 423LZ View Post
I am new to the area and my husband just informed me he wants a divorce. I am scared to death as I havent found a job yet, everything is in his name and he has already begun hiding funds and preparing to leave me with nothing. We do not have children. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a very strong divorce attorney. Thanks in advance.
Selma Cash Paty - Probably close to 80 now and still practicing. (Don't worry you won't think she's 80). Growing up my uncle used to beat my aunt and treated her awful. Long story, but anyway he had Paty as his lawyer and I'm not sure how much if any alimony he had to pay but he also got custody of their son.
A friend of mine had a friend going through divorce and when the opposing attorney asked who they were using and was told Paty - he immediately decided he would not take the case. She is very good- just hope if you don't go with her that your husband doesn't.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
If you're in TN, have lived here for at least 6 months, and you're getting a divorce in TN, it won't do him any good to "hide" funds. Just subpoena a credit report and you'll turn up any hidden credit cards, subpoena his bank records to turn up any hidden deposits and transfers and also reveal any hidden accounts or transfers to friends or family members, etc. Subpoena his email, his phone records, etc.

TN isn't a strict 50/50 state (there are several factors that affect property division), but in general practice anything considered "marital" (anything that isn't a gift, directly inherited, or something that was owned before marriage), is usually split 50/50. It does NOT matter who earned more money or who spent more money. If you both worked (and keeping a home is considered work), you will split everything equally.

I recently went through a divorce (actually, still going through it), and my wife tried all that. Hiding money in secret accounts among many other things. The paper trail was easy enough to follow. Unless he pays for everything with wads of cash, you can follow his trail too.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Celius- Thank you so much for recommending Selma Paty. I am going to call her today. I have no idea how I would pay for an attorney as he is keeping the minimum amount in the mutual account while the other funds he has moved into his secret account. Unbelieveable.

JWKilgore- Thank you for the reply. You have been very helpful as I have no clue about a divorce nor am I prepared. The residency thing is complicated as he lived here 4 years ago, moved out of state for anethesia school while still claiming residenecy here by using his parents address. Either way, it sounds like I could still subpoena everything. I fully supported him while he was in school and he didnt work. He just started work as Nurse Anesthetist and now he is hiding his paycheck and savings, etc.. Im just terrfified.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 423LZ View Post
Either way, it sounds like I could still subpoena everything. I fully supported him while he was in school and he didnt work. He just started work as Nurse Anesthetist and now he is hiding his paycheck and savings, etc.. Im just terrfified.
If his checks are direct-deposited you can also subpoena his employment records to find out where he's stashing the money. Then from there to any other accounts. But unless these accounts are brand new, a standard credit report will expose them. Again, unless he uses wads of cash for everything, there WILL be a paper trail.

For what it's worth, the fact that you supported him while he attained a higher degree is one of the "factors" in TN and it works in your favor when it comes to asset distribution.

Also, I don't know you or your husband or anything about your situation. But I have known a few people who went through a divorce. Almost without exception, when one spouse suddenly decides to file for divorce with no apparent reason after a long relationship, the initiator had a "replacement" spouse ready and waiting. Again, if that's the case, the paper trail can be usually be followed relatively easily. Infidelity has no affect on asset distribution in TN, but it does affect any possible alimony payments, and it will affect the "mood" of the judge if your case goes to court.

Finally, you are far from the first woman to be in this situation, and there are several support groups out there. I can't recommend any one over another (I'm a guy), but a simple Google search ("divorce for women" or "divorce support group" or similar) turns up several possibilities. They should be able to help you with legal advice, financial advice, and maybe even financial assistance. I'm not sure about that last bit, but anything is possible.

Let me stress that I am NOT a lawyer, but I've been asking lots of questions and doing research for myself over the last year. I'll gladly pass along some of what I've learned. Good luck, and I'm sorry you're having to suffer through this. You may not believe it right now, but not all men are pigs.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,606 times
Kilgore-You are so right about the sudden divorce thing. I've seen it over and over and been through it myself....once!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:47 AM

JWKilgore- I cant thank you enough for your insightful feedback. There is a possibility that he may be seeing someone. I have found proof that he has two other bank accounts and was able to get access (view online) to one after going through his email account. He has had these accounts for longer than what I had imagined. I made copies of everything. When he saw me taking action and confronting him about the accounts, he has backed down and is now wanting to go to marital counseling (again). I find that odd as he was pro-divorce before. It appears that I may move out while we go to marital counseling. My trust has almost completely diminished at this point. I know that he has spoken to a divorce attorney's secretary but has not made any movement with an appointment. There are several factors that just seem a little fishy to me. If counseling does not work, I will not leave this marriage without a fight. He is the kind of man who is controlling to a large degree, especially over "HIS" money/assests. Hoping for the best outcome whatever that may be. The timing of it all has just not been in my favor to say the least. Again, thank you for all of your advice and feedback as I need it greatly!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 AM

9 posts, read 19,740 times
Ditto on Ms. Patty - she is top line. I would guess, anyone you can get in that same firm would be excellent, as well.

Avoid traveling road shows - those that tend to practice on a loop. Teeter, Epstein Sr. comes to mind. Not so hot on B. A. S. Arthur, either, based in GA but practices in TN. Don't even bother with C. Carter - time waster.

In my experience, laws also tend to look at where he has his drivers license, voters registration, and the address he claims on his IRS returns. Hes playing a sticky wicket if he is using multiple states for residency. The state he is actually living in is a factor, as well as the state you were married in.

Hiding assets is easy enough to do - rathole. Easy enough for him to say, it was spent.

No clue where he is from - keep in mind, if it is a small town, you might be facing a battle. Subpoena could mean little if its a "good ol' boys" town or if masons are involved. Been there, done that... wait, still involved! Legal issues definately best resolved outside of a spouses small hometown if at all possible.

If you can find the means, a licensed private detective might be an excellent idea... despite any assurances he is giving you - something is up.

Last edited by rosewishes; 10-05-2011 at 02:20 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM

246 posts, read 755,320 times
I don't think you should move out. Then you can become homeless!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,251 times
Does anyone have any reviews for Glenna Ramer as a Divorce Attorney? Need someone knowledgeable of retirement assets and property division and alimony. No children. Reviews please? Yes or No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga