Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM

249 posts, read 659,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post
I think the only exceptions here would be Signal and Lookout Cities. The rest are much less expensive.
Thats probably true, but Lookout and Signal cater to a more wealthy group of people, who probably aren't too concerned with the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:57 AM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Thats probably true, but Lookout and Signal cater to a more wealthy group of people, who probably aren't too concerned with the taxes.
I think Lookout has 2 garbage collections / week

Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
I think everybody, regardless of where you live, is concerned about taxes.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 12,968 times
When we retired, we moved from the unincorporated county (Middle Valley) to inside the Chattanooga city limits. I was sick and tired of having to get in the car and drive a minimum of 10 miles to do *anything*, buy groceries, or any other shopping, restaurants, dry cleaners, go to a movie, museum, attend any cultural event. It was also near impossible to walk outside the subdivision because there was little on no shoulder on the county roads. Ditto for riding a bicycle and add to that, the hills. There may be parts of Soddy-Daisy or Ooltewah that are not that bad, but not by much. From either place, it's 20+ miles to go to the museums, theaters, etc. Do spend some time here before you make your decision and welcome to Chattanooga.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
City taxes aren't quite double. The tax rates for Hamilton County are HERE, and the "Assessed Value" is 25% of the fair market value. If you live inside a city you pay both city and county taxes. So the annual tax bill for a $150k house would run $1037 in the county and $1903 inside Chattanooga if I did my math right.

But that extra cost also includes extra services. People in the county have to contract for garbage pick-up and fire, typically with a volunteer fire department instead of city-employed firemen. (we use Tri-Community Volunteer, which I believe is $100/year). If it snows the city will plow the roads much quicker than the county. There are more city police, so police protection in the city is typically better. So yeah, you'll pay $72 more in taxes per month, but the real cost is actually much less than that.

Also, be aware of the on-going annexation process (http://www.chattanooga.gov/annexation/annexation_info.htm - broken link) before paying a premium for a house just outside the city limits. Click on Urban Growth Plan for a map of the current phase of proposed annexations, and click on Growth Plan Map for the ultimate extents of the land-grab in the distant future.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-08-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga