Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 AM

35 posts, read 68,243 times

Advertisements

My thought is if I have a condo or apartment uptown it is because of convinience of being next bars, work, etc. I would want to be able to shop as well instead of driving out to the the malls (which I must say I love the malls here) kind of defeats the purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Sorry, suburban malls are the trend right now. I'm certain Charlotte isn't the only city to suffer from this style of "development". I don't see it changing anytime soon, either.

Look at it this way, would you rather live uptown and be able to walk to work/restaurants/theater/groceries/etc. and drive to the mall - or walk to the mall and have to drive uptown to work and go out?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM

I guess my choice would be to live uptown and be able to walk to those places ( I am lazy) lol. With the economy the way it is right now I would never expect any changes in the future.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queens85 View Post
...With the economy the way it is right now I would never expect any changes in the future.
I think this is the sad truth of it. Also, with parking the way it is uptown, I'm not sure how viable retail really is. My *guess* would be that retail businesses would require a lot of people to come into uptown from the 'burbs to shop there vs. the malls to be able to make a go of it. That is not likely to happen, either, IMO. Not when it's closer/easier to go to one of the suburban malls.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
I dont think enough people live in Uptown to support a major retailer. More people live in the burbs than live in the city. I dont think most people would drive to Uptown just to go to a Macy's.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
To me there's no comparison with shopping in a mall to shopping in a downtown area. I find malls claustrophobic.
Love to be able to wander around it a town/city, get a coffee and sit outside and do some (window)shopping.
I think that retail in uptown would be sure to attract people and surely the light rail would be suited for this (if they reduced the prices!)

The city of London is a weird place.All the restaurants and pubs close at around 8pm and very little is open at the weekends, even though they do get tourists as St Pauls and the Old Bailey are just around the corner .
Makes it seem like a ghost town.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM

104 posts, read 184,468 times
No retail in Uptown? I never really noticed. There's a bevy of cool bars down there and a Fuel pizza for late night munchies after the bars. That's enough for me.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I miss Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, b/c I am not big on shopping in malls, either. However, I can usually park in front of a particular store, pop in and pop out, so I never even venture into the mall itself. I learned to cope after moving back here.

Shopping as recreation, hobby, sport, etc is going out of vogue anyway. Economists are predicting that we won't really see things normalizing with jobs for five years, so it is a good thing retail is not in uptown Charlotte at this point in time. People are going to figure out by 2012 that shopping means spending money, lol - and folks are just not going to have disposable income as taxes go up and the cost of healthcare continues to rise - plus if this Administration gets their way, add on all sorts of energy consumption taxes/fees/fines, and there goes the COL for us all (and less disposable income all around).

So the mall concept - where you can park a car and wander around- is probably going to actually get MORE popular, especially in a city such as CLT, wh/ is suburban - and mostly a business district uptown. What retail is uptown is gonna struggle mightily. Probably a good thing that there aren't many retailers uptown as they may not make it til 2016.

If you wanna shop in an urban setting, you are gonna have to do what I started doing in 1980 - fly to Chicago. :-)

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Where I lived in the UK, there were great shops of all types and size in the city (around half the size of Charlotte) plus several out of town shopping locations including one HUGE mall.

Now that was in the North of England which isn't blessed with good weather, but mostly the city and the malls were popular all the time.
The city retail has stuff to offer that the malls didn't and vice versa.
Recession? Well we def' had that in the UK, but looking at the car parks in the city and at the malls you would never have known it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I miss Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, b/c I am not big on shopping in malls, either. However, I can usually park in front of a particular store, pop in and pop out, so I never even venture into the mall itself. I learned to cope after moving back here.

Shopping as recreation, hobby, sport, etc is going out of vogue anyway. Economists are predicting that we won't really see things normalizing with jobs for five years, so it is a good thing retail is not in uptown Charlotte at this point in time. People are going to figure out by 2012 that shopping means spending money, lol - and folks are just not going to have disposable income as taxes go up and the cost of healthcare continues to rise - plus if this Administration gets their way, add on all sorts of energy consumption taxes/fees/fines, and there goes the COL for us all (and less disposable income all around).

So the mall concept - where you can park a car and wander around- is probably going to actually get MORE popular, especially in a city such as CLT, wh/ is suburban - and mostly a business district uptown. What retail is uptown is gonna struggle mightily. Probably a good thing that there aren't many retailers uptown as they may not make it til 2016.

If you wanna shop in an urban setting, you are gonna have to do what I started doing in 1980 - fly to Chicago. :-)

Already 2 steps ahead I go back home to NYC in 2 weeks I will get my fix then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte