Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 45,675 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Charlotte shortly for a promotion at work. I am planning on renting an apartment with a 6-12 month lease and then buying a house before my lease is up.

I am going to be coming into town to look at apartments but wanted to know if there were specific areas or parts of town that you would recommend avoiding?

My office is near I-77 and Tyvola. I would like to live within 5-10 miles of work - I would prefer a commute of less than 15-20 minutes. I have identified areas I would like to live - Dilworth, Myers Park, or Steele Creek, but I have a limited time to move and may not be able to find the right apartment in those areas in the time allotted. Other than those areas, what are the nicer areas within that area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
15-20 mins from I-77 and Tyvola covers a lot of ground. I suggest you wait until you get down here and have a look around.

South Park is an option, as well, since it's due east on Tyvola/Fairview.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
The areas you mentioned are good ones to check out. Basically just try to avoid the west side and stick to SW if you look on that side. Steele Creek would fit that bill. You'll also love Dilworth and Myers Park!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times
I think the Southpark area would be a 5-10 minute commute for you.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 45,675 times
Thank you all for the insight.

What is the east side of Charlotte like? Are there areas to avoid there?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
East is OK, especially if you're of certain ethnic groups that have made much of East Charlotte their own. The biggest problem would be the commute. There's no quick way to get from the East side to Tyvola area during rush hour. 20 minutes to get across town would be optimistic.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I agree. I think you should stick to the South Park, Dilworth, Myers Park, or Steele Creek side of town.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalology View Post
Thank you all for the insight.

What is the east side of Charlotte like? Are there areas to avoid there?
This is my slightly inebriated take...

There are parts of east (and north) charlotte that are super hip... these areas are mostly limited to within 4 miles of trade and tryon.

Namely areas like NoDa, Plaza Midwood (Merry Oaks or otherwise near Central and inside of Arnold and south of Shamrock), Chantilly, Elizabeth, Oakhurst etc. As you get to Cotswold the feeling gets decidedly more family-oriented and vanilla. All of the aforementioned hoods have really unique personalities that really appeal to certain types of folks. There are other neighborhoods like that in this area that I'm forgetting (Sheffield, eastway park?, other smaller neighborhoods tucked in corner of larger neighborhoods).

As you move further south and east there are places like Sherwood Forest and Shasta Lane that are definitely worth checking out if you want an older home in a well established neighborhood that has awesome tree canopy, lots of old-charlotte types and biggerish lots. In that vein there are tons of places like that everywhere between that area and Myers Park.

Myers Park proper is/was the example of old-south urban grandiosity. This is the place to be if you need the old-school best of the best. We're talking swim club, tennis club, golf club, brooks bros/polo/izod popped collar classic south types with the means but not quite the luck to make it into Eastover, which is the really-real ultra elite hood of Charlotte.

Move a little further west and you run into an area that I tend to think of as "The Land West of Little Sugar Creek but still East of South Blvd." There are some cool little areas sprinkled around this area, for sure... which in my mind is bounded by Tyvola Road on the south and Ideal Way on the north. This area is very similar to some parts of east charlotte, but is closer to the light rail and has a slightly less edgy feel. Grocery store manager types.

North of Ideal Way to 2-77 (and east of South Blvd) is Dilworth. This place is the more liberal Myers Park. Lumbollo once described this neighborhood as for the folks that can't quite get into Myers Park. I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment, but I'm not sure I disagree either. As you get closer to town and Kenilworth and CMC the area gets younger and more walkable.

If you're into cookie-cutter stuff Steele Creek is your huckleberry. Except for closer to town where it's really crappy. And the places on large lots that have been there forever, and those places are more rural-feeling or enclave-ish. The new stuff is rife with transplants and new-comers. This might represent a great way to meet folks you have something in common with, but old-charlotte types aren't likely to search out these new areas with the possible exception of the palisades and/or sanctuary and maybe berewick. Some will (rightly) point out that those areas aren't really in the steele creek watershed but honestly, who cares.

I'd recommend staying as close to center city as you feel comfortable with within whatever enclave you feel suits you best. In my mind this will expose you to the least risk.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte