Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,125,200 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for someone to check my AC as well but I am also wondering if anyone knew about the current Freon "issue"? From what I understand, it has been phased out and all that is left are "stockpiles". Is this true? I live in The Reserve and I believe I have a leak in my system, hence it not working properly, and I know a few people on my block have had the same issue. It would be one thing if all it took as a charge of freon, but the units that Centex used are going to be obsolete because it can only use the Freon that has been phased out. Am I going to have to buy new units soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,735,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm currently looking for someone to check my AC as well but I am also wondering if anyone knew about the current Freon "issue"? From what I understand, it has been phased out and all that is left are "stockpiles". Is this true? I live in The Reserve and I believe I have a leak in my system, hence it not working properly, and I know a few people on my block have had the same issue. It would be one thing if all it took as a charge of freon, but the units that Centex used are going to be obsolete because it can only use the Freon that has been phased out. Am I going to have to buy new units soon?
I know an honest HVAC company, but they are out of Bessemer city, so probably inappropriate for you.

The old freon was declared to be dangerous many years ago. It was used in broadcast stations to clean parts of video tape machines, so as a broadcast tech, I'm well aware of that situation. The substitutes have been in use for many years. How old is your unit?

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I know an honest HVAC company, but they are out of Bessemer city, so probably inappropriate for you.

The old freon was declared to be dangerous many years ago. It was used in broadcast stations to clean parts of video tape machines, so as a broadcast tech, I'm well aware of that situation. The substitutes have been in use for many years. How old is your unit?
5 years old.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
5 years old.
The clamps were put down on the old, original freon at least 15 years ago. Do you have an owners manual, or are you going by what a service tech told you?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM

445 posts, read 1,167,927 times
Even if your system still uses freon, (R22) systems that use it have been gradually phased out but freon is still very available and is still being manufactured through 2020. It is illegal for anyone other than a certified technician to handle freon. ( I remember when my dad used to go buy it and charge our car air conditioners but I don't think you will need a new system if it just has a small leak. However, leaking freon is damaging to the environment - the reason it is being phased out of use.

We have used Champion Heating and Air for many years. They have replaced units at 2 different houses for us and have always given us good service and a good value.

Champion Heating & Cooling Inc 7316 Old Mount Holly Road, Charlotte, NC 28214-1785(704) 391-2077‎

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The clamps were put down on the old, original freon at least 15 years ago. Do you have an owners manual, or are you going by what a service tech told you?
A service tech told my neighbor who experienced the issues that I am having now. I don't remember the name of the company but he wasn't particularly thrilled with them.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
Even if your system still uses freon, (R22) systems that use it have been gradually phased out but freon is still very available and is still being manufactured through 2020. It is illegal for anyone other than a certified technician to handle freon. ( I remember when my dad used to go buy it and charge our car air conditioners but I don't think you will need a new system if it just has a small leak. However, leaking freon is damaging to the environment - the reason it is being phased out of use.

We have used Champion Heating and Air for many years. They have replaced units at 2 different houses for us and have always given us good service and a good value.

Champion Heating & Cooling Inc 7316 Old Mount Holly Road, Charlotte, NC 28214-1785(704) 391-2077‎
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
A service tech told my neighbor who experienced the issues that I am having now. I don't remember the name of the company but he wasn't particularly thrilled with them.
I'd call the company that Carolinajean gave you & ask them. From the age of the unit, it sounds, to me, like your neighbor was told a load of hogwash. If you are still not satisfied I can give you the name of the company that I deal with. I know that they are honest. I had 2 minor problems with my heat pump & they could have told me that I need a new unit but didn't. One repair cost $250 + the initial service call ($90), to replace a board (Most of the $250 was the cost of the circuit board.). The other involved a short & he was able to fix it easily with no parts purchased & cost me only the $90 service call.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM

274 posts, read 239,752 times
Default HVAC repair

Check w/MPD before you hire D. Geiger.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,995,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post

Also, the freon is being reclaimed from all old units and is being recycled. You should be good for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte