Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,614 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Alabama but I am looking into relocating to the Charlotte area. I would love to get as much info as I can on schools, crime, neighborhood, things to do....etc. I'm 34 and I work currently in the medical billing field but I'm not limited to that. I've done a little research online and I have heard of lot of good things about Charlotte but I still have a lot of questions. I've never been to Charlotte but I do plan to visit within the next few months. Need to know how hard is it there for a single mother. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Keep in mind that the unemployment rate in the Charlotte area is hovering in the 10-12% range.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 PM

95 posts, read 243,872 times
Where is it not hard for a single mom, Charlotte is no different. I would find a job first before you relocate, Charlotte like many cities has a high unemployment rate and it is disproportionately affecting people with salaries less than $50K per year.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,261 times
If you're currently working in the medical billing field and have a job I definitely wouldn't move here without the job unless it's something you can do from home. If you're banking on government subsidizes do your research on county government. They have a huge deficit and are planning cut backs in programs.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 AM

95 posts, read 243,872 times
@businessperson.. Why would would you even mention government subsidizes? No where in her comments did she say that. Hmmmm!! Interesting analysis, I guess we have some insight into your thoughts

Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury84 View Post
@businessperson.. Why would would you even mention government subsidizes? No where in her comments did she say that. Hmmmm!! Interesting analysis, I guess we have some insight into your thoughts
Why wouldn't she mention it? We are having thousands of folks pour into this city and they are applying for assistance, b/c they can't get a job. Businessperson knows if this lady comes here without a job (and the types of jobs she is looking for have been CUT - folks are out of work who have had these jobs and a glut of applicants on the market) . . . then what is this woman gonna do? She has to take care of her child! What would anyone do? We have to seek help at those times and DSS has been flooded w/ assistance requests that they cannot fulfill.

Not only that, the city just announced this past week that the coffers are in such bad shape, they are gonna start laying off city workers!

The OP said she is coming and she evidently feels very confident she will get a job. She doesn't realize that the job training act now in effect is paying for tuition for folks w/ children to go get a certification at CPCC to do medical billing, medical office work, etc - and so we have waaaaay more folks here w/ that certification than we have jobs. Most folks do not realize this! But being in the field, I can assure you - folks cannot get jobs who have been applying for 18 months in medical office work.

It seems if we are truthful with folks when they ask questions, some people read that as being "unwelcoming." The lady asked for answers - does that mean we are to sugar coat it? Or just fail to mention the FACTS?

The best thing this woman can do is see if she can find a job b/f she comes; otherwise, she shouldn't come or should select another city to go to where the unemployment rate is not so dire. That is not being unwelcoming -that is the advice I have given my own sons!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Westbury84, because she didn't mention having a job, said she was a single parent, said she had never been to Charlotte, had no real reason for coming here. How does she plan to support herself and her child? IF that's what she's planning on doing she needs to get the facts, which is what I assume she's doing since she asked. If you want insights into my thoughts all you have to do is ask. I certainly don't mind telling you. And, I don't care much what your opinion of me is.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 AM

124 posts, read 212,701 times
WOW! All this^ and she didn't even say she was coming without a job. Way to jump to conclusions.

How can that look like anything other than "unwelcoming"? I can only imagine if she said she was moving here without a job. Sheesh!

Personally, I would have assumed that her visit here in a couple months was to look for a job. Some people interpret things a little differently I guess. Assuming the worst and such.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu-dog View Post
WOW! All this^ and she didn't even say she was coming without a job. Way to jump to conclusions.

How can that look like anything other than "unwelcoming"? I can only imagine if she said she was moving here without a job. Sheesh!

Personally, I would have assumed that her visit here in a couple months was to look for a job. Some people interpret things a little differently I guess. Assuming the worst and such.
You're right, Lu-Dog. I apologize. Everyone should just come on and see how it works out for them and folks who are concerned about the obstacles newcomers face should just not post.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 AM

I agree Ani. However, she DID ask how hard it would be for a single parent. Things to check out might be whether or not assistance for a single parent would be available to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: