Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 02:57 PM

91 posts, read 189,436 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been a City-Data fan for a couple of years now. I love to travel so it's fun to read what people have to say about other areas.

My family and I are planning on moving from southeastern Indiana in a few years. Hubby has 12 solid years in network engineering and I have 1.5 years in critical care nursing. We know the IT area has taken a hit in North Carolina, so we do research on jobs. It looks like, on a lot of the internet sites, there are IT jobs in Charlotte. We'd obviously get jobs before we made the "big move", so that's the area we're centering on, at this time.

So what we'd be looking for is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a basement, on a couple-three acres just outside a country town that has unique little shops, a thriving arts and craft scene, maybe a farmer's market, good community feel, you know. Good schools, because we have 12 and 8 year old girls, who'll be four years older then, but you know what I mean.

We don't care about sports much, or any kind of bar scene. We like country-life but not in a dead-end town with run-down buildings. We like to have civic pride and would enjoy a town that has some organized events and friendly people, a good library, good town organizers who are making the town thrive.

Price for house, in the 175,000 to 200,000 range, within about 30-40 minutes to Charlotte.

One more thing, we are just sick of southeastern Indiana winters. We're hoping that the winters are milder near Charlotte. I don't mind a bit of snow, as long as it doesn't last long. How long is the planting season in the Charlotte area? What are the temps like during the year, on average? When there are hurricanes, do they usually affect the Charlotte area?

If anyone from that area would like to correspond, I'd love to! It would be great to make some friends before we come to visit, hopefully this July if our jobs and money are in a stable situation.

Please, some ideas for towns to take a look at?

Thanks,
Cara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post
Hello all! I've been a City-Data fan for a couple of years now. I love to travel so it's fun to read what people have to say about other areas.

My family and I are planning on moving from southeastern Indiana in a few years. Hubby has 12 solid years in network engineering and I have 1.5 years in critical care nursing. We know the IT area has taken a hit in North Carolina, so we do research on jobs. It looks like, on a lot of the internet sites, there are IT jobs in Charlotte. We'd obviously get jobs before we made the "big move", so that's the area we're centering on, at this time.

So what we'd be looking for is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a basement, on a couple-three acres just outside a country town that has unique little shops, a thriving arts and craft scene, maybe a farmer's market, good community feel, you know. Good schools, because we have 12 and 8 year old girls, who'll be four years older then, but you know what I mean.

We don't care about sports much, or any kind of bar scene. We like country-life but not in a dead-end town with run-down buildings. We like to have civic pride and would enjoy a town that has some organized events and friendly people, a good library, good town organizers who are making the town thrive.

Price for house, in the 175,000 to 200,000 range, within about 30-40 minutes to Charlotte.

One more thing, we are just sick of southeastern Indiana winters. We're hoping that the winters are milder near Charlotte. I don't mind a bit of snow, as long as it doesn't last long. How long is the planting season in the Charlotte area? What are the temps like during the year, on average? When there are hurricanes, do they usually affect the Charlotte area?

If anyone from that area would like to correspond, I'd love to! It would be great to make some friends before we come to visit, hopefully this July if our jobs and money are in a stable situation.

Please, some ideas for towns to take a look at?

Thanks,
Cara
Cara, it's hard to say where you'd want to settle in 4 years.

I live in the exceedingly unfashionable City of Kings Mountain on the western end of the metro area. I'm very happy here.

I grew up in SW lower Michigan & still have family there. I spent most of my life, before coming here, is a South Jersey suburb of Philadelphia.

For climate, the best way for you to get a feel for here is to pay attention to what grows in planting zone 7 in books & catalogs. The planting season is much longer than in the upper Midwest. However, as with much of the east, it is clay. Once you get the hang of growing in clay, there's nothing to it. However you have to ammend it. You'll learn, I'm sure.

As of now, real estate is cheaper west of Charlotte. I would suggest that you pick some towns around Charlotte & search, in your price range, within a 20 - 30 mile range & see what you like. Then you can check the schools for ratings & pull up the town's website. Then you can ask for opinions on those locations

4 years from now it could be the same or quite different in some towns, so keep looking occasionally.

I know that this doesn't answer all of your questions, but I hope it helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,585 times
Sorry, 3-4 yrs before moving? Come back in 2 1/2 yrs. Too many things can change, esp the pricing on homes. Any advice given now would be a shot in the dark.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM

95 posts, read 243,895 times
Charlotte is too dynamic of a city to forecast 3-4 years ahead. I would continue to visit and research for a few years and then ask that same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte