Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM

23 posts, read 47,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
I realize you posted a while back. Sorry I did not see it before now. They are in and LOVE it. It has been about a year now. The pool and club house are complete and beautiful. New neighbors every day it seems. Lots of activities. Jake and the whole team up there have been great to work with.
Hi. My husband and I are looking to move to the Charlotte area from NY. We looked at Sun City, south of Charlotte, but for some reason I didn't love it, even though it does offer a lot. Do your parents still like Bailey's Glen? Are they golfers? Anything you could share about their experience would be great to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,878,252 times
decgroup...........Although I live in Sun City, when you were down here did you take a look at the Lennar Carolina Reserve development up Jim Wilson Road (up past the Walgreen's)? There are actually 2 sections, one is a regular family and the other part is active adult (Meadows). They are planning on having a club house and pool, I think. One of the big things about being in SC is the property tax difference between NC and SC.

You asked about golf courses, although there isn't one at the Lennar place, there are bunches of them in the area. As a matter of fact and lot of people actually go to others outside due to the prices of golfing at the SC course. The course here is private and not owned by the community.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Default Bailey's Glen and Sun City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
I realize you posted a while back. Sorry I did not see it before now. They are in and LOVE it. It has been about a year now. The pool and club house are complete and beautiful. New neighbors every day it seems. Lots of activities. Jake and the whole team up there have been great to work with.
Rothbear, thanks for the reply. How do you like Sun City? How long have you been there? The problem we're having is that we're not sure we want an age-restricted community (even though we are older but like being around at least some younger folks), but the 55+ communities do offer the better amenties. That's our dilemma. No, we didn't look at Carolina Reserve. Maybe we should. I doubt if they can compete with Sun City's amenities, number of clubs, etc. I'd love to know your opinion of Sun City. When we were there, we got into a couple of uncomfortable political discussions, which I wasn't expecting. It definitely gave us pause. I would say my politics are a little left of center (and I do mean a little -- I am not a far-left liberal, by any means.). I always thought people can agree to disagree about politics, and I've never objected to listening to someone else's viewpoint. But I was attacked as trying to bring down our country and was told "the revolution is coming". It was not pleasant. As I said, we were shocked. In the north, we have friends/families on both sides of the political spectrum, and it's never been a problem.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM

decgroup........We have been here since 2008 and do like it. Lots to do, although since both myself and my husband are still working we don't really participate in as many things as we would like. Neither one of us golfs, so I can't speak on that. As mentioned above, I do know that there are people here who use many of the outside courses due to the costs at this one. And yes there are tons and tons of things here to do. It was once said that if one is bored they aren't trying hard enough!

Wow, you did have a bad experience! Where did you meet these people? Truthfully the entire time I have been here, although I have heard some political discussions, I have never heard this type of disrespect for another's opinion. We actually have a large diversity of people down here covering both ends of the spectrum. We have very active republican AND democratic clubs here. There are actually probably a LOT more moderates, both slightly left like you and slightly right like us (we're originally from PA), than the radicals but apparently you were unlucky enough to run into some of those. For the most part the people that I know just don't get into political discussions or steer conversations away when they do. We have friends from both sides and have never had this type of "discussion". There are too many other great things to talk about!

Although this is an "over 55", there are actually a few here younger. There are a few early 50 (the law allows up to 10% between 50-55 to purchase), plus there are a few taking care of elderly parents, or living with their parents due to the economy. Not too many, but some. Plus there are grandkids around quite a bit (under age 19 can only stay a total of 90 days per year).

The Lennar development has both regular family homes as well as the active adult, but you are correct they don't have as many amenities. But it all depends on what you are looking for. I'm sure that once more people move in and the club house gets built that people will gravitate together and form a few clubs on their own. The homes are very nice and price-wise, probably a bit better priced than the ones at SCCL. But then again, the extra activities do command the extra cost.

If you have any further questions, please let me know, or DM me.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Thank you, Rothbear, for your thoughts! I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss SCCL with me. You've made me feel better about the political situation! That was definitely preying on my mind, even though my husband kept telling me that with such a large community, I could not make a conclusion with such a small sample. So I'm happy to hear about the number of moderates. And I totally agree that I don't want it to be the mainstay of our conversations. Like you said, too many other interesting things to talk about -- books, movies, travel etc.

Where did you move from? The general Charlotte area or are you a transplant also?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Rothbear, after I signed off last night, I realize you had answered my last question -- you said you were from PA. Sorry for being dense!

Do you like the weather down there? Or is that a dumb question???

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decgroup View Post
Rothbear, after I signed off last night, I realize you had answered my last question -- you said you were from PA. Sorry for being dense!

Do you like the weather down there? Or is that a dumb question???

Yes we are originally from about an hour NE of Pittsburgh. Very small rural town.

The weather can be pretty variable. We do have colder winters, in fact this winter was probably the worst since we came down. We have had at least some snow every winter I've been here, and one year we had a nasty ice storm and then 3 months later some nasty hail. And of course the summers can be pretty warm as well. Last summer it was in the 90s for at least a month. Even the native southerners were tired of it! This month has been strange, about a week ago it was in the 30s and now today it was mid 80s! But hey, that's why we have A/C. But overall, yes it is much better than all the snow up north! We do have some fall with changing leaves. And when it does snow of course it doesn't last long. And it is really nice that the flowers come early and so nice to be able to sit out on the porch and read and drink coffee, tea or iced tea.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 PM

18 posts, read 23,736 times
Any 2014 or 2015 info on Carolina Reserve and Sun City? Bailey's Glen in Cornelius looks lovely but pricey compared to the 2 above named communities. Any thoughts on that community would be appreciated as well. Lastly, any thoughts on deciding between the Raleigh and Charlotte areas for retirement? My husband & I plan to retire to one of these 2 areas in the next few months. We'll take a trip to each one, but would appreciate any info that could come our way. Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte