Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

For all those who have served (as well as our men and women now in military service). . . just wanted to give a shout out . . . It is an honor to acknowledge all those who have served their country.

I know from posts over the years that we have forum members who are serving or have served in the military. North Carolina is home to a lot of military families.

Thank you for your service!

Air Force Bases

Pope Air Force Base - Fayetteville
Seymour Johnson Air Force Base - Goldsboro
Army Posts

Fort Bragg - Fayetteville
Simmons Army Airfield - Fort Bragg - Fayetteville, NC

Coast Guard Bases

USCG Air Station Elizabeth City

Marine Bases

Camp Lejeune Marine Base - Jacksonville
Cherry Point Air Station - Havelock
New River Air Station - Jacksonville
Navy Bases

Cherry Point Naval Air Depot - north of Havelock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,874,232 times
I will second that. A lot of people don't realize what the men & women in the military do at times & what their families deal with.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I will second that. A lot of people don't realize what the men & women in the military do at times & what their families deal with.
Very true, Peyton. We have one day a year set aside to honor our military veterans . . . I just hope folks thought about these fine men and women today.

With the tragic deaths at Ft. Hood only a few days behind us . . . it is a fitting time to consider the sacrifices our military makes on our behalf.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,819 times
not a problem

Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,712 times
Well said as usual, Ani!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
As a veteran that served 25 years, thanks. There really should be a military spouse recognition day as well. Sometimes I think that my wife went through more hardships than me. She was the one that had to stay home and pack, get the kids registered at new schools, help the kids with homework and transport them to scouts, etc., get everything set up to occupy new quarters, take care of the bills, deal with the kids when they screwed up at school or went through the awkward teen years and take care of minor home repairs while I was away. It takes a strong, special person to endure and succeed in life as a military spouse.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
You are welcome!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
As a veteran that served 25 years, thanks. There really should be a military spouse recognition day as well. Sometimes I think that my wife went through more hardships than me. She was the one that had to stay home and pack, get the kids registered at new schools, help the kids with homework and transport them to scouts, etc., get everything set up to occupy new quarters, take care of the bills, deal with the kids when they screwed up at school or went through the awkward teen years and take care of minor home repairs while I was away. It takes a strong, special person to endure and succeed in life as a military spouse.
I second that!! Even though we had no children while I was on active duty, my wife still went through more than a bit of crap. Thank you fellow veterans, and thank you military families for supporting us in all we do!

On another note, rather than a thanks once a year, what I would love to see is the patriotism people displayed right after 9/11. People flying their flags. Flag magnets and lapel pins. Heck, people dont even render proper respect to the flag and our anthem. If I can teach my 4 year old to stand facing the flag, with his hand over his heart, during the national anthem how come adults cant observe this custom? Hell, some of those idiots dont even remove their hats! Ours is the greatest country in the world- it really isnt that hard to honor it, those who made it such, and the symbols which represent it.

IMHO

Old 11-10-2009, 04:14 PM

VIN: Oh, I agree - military spouses have to call on internal resources to deal with the challenges. My dear friend in Kansas - retired Air Force Lt Col's wife. She raised 4 children (a set of twins in that group!) and moved all over the country. Actually, all her children were born in Scotland! She had to learn resilience and also how to handle a home and 4 kids with her husband out of the country for long stretches. I think military spouses are a special breed. I also think it helps to have the support of other military families around you. (Anyone else watch Army Wives? LOL! Love that show).

HOAGIE: I am so with you on flying the flag. Fly mine - did before 9/11. I am proud to be an American and flying that flag makes me feel I am honoring all those who serve under its colors. Too often, we take our freedoms for granted, and I am determined that I never forget the sacrifices folks made so we all live in a free country.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,493 times
I would like to say thank you to all of our Veterans also, including my husband and all of my sons friends who have recently enlisted. I am so proud of our men and women in uniform!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte