Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Culture and NASCAR have not been mentioned "in the same sentence." This thread is about "Museums". Nevertheless, saying that NASCAR isn't a cultural thing in North Carolina is like saying that bullfighting isn't a cultural thing in Spain or skiing isn't a cultural thing
You might want to read before you rant or include her entire quote.

I wouldn't call the NASCAR museum bring culture to town anymore than I would say DisneyLand brings culture to Orlando or Cooperstown brings culture to Ohio. It's an attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
I have heard there will be jobs and it will certainly bring tourists..what does everyone think? Bringing culture to town is a plus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
[quote=baybook;11551306]You might want to read before you rant or include her entire quote.

I guess the joke is on you. I never included her entire quote.

I wouldn't call the NASCAR museum bring culture to town anymore than I would say DisneyLand brings culture to Orlando or Cooperstown brings culture to Ohio. It's an attraction.

Yea, right, the Metropolotian Museum in NYC, the Smithonian, the Tate, and the Taj Mahal are just attractions too.

By the way, Disneyland is an amusement park, not a museum.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You might want to read before you rant or include her entire quote.

Cooperstown brings culture to Ohio? Are you talking about the Baseball Hall of Fame? Cause if you are, you need to buy a MAP! Cooperstown is in New York and several hours from Ohio.

And some of us NASCAR fans like culture and do go to museums. And we do love that we're finally getting a museum and are VERY excited about this!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with it? Are you aware of the struggle between Charlotte, Atlanta, Kansas City, and Daytona to get the rights to this future tourist attraction? Is if funny because you are not a race fan or don't know about the museum? If you don't know about it, look it up on the web. It is quite spectacular. It will be a great addition to the city since NASCAR racing is the second largest spectator sport in the U.S. If that's "funny" I suppose that millions of us don't have sense of humors.

Forgot Detroit.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
Quote:
Culture and NASCAR were not mentioned "in the same sentence." This thread is about "Museums". The OP said that bringing more culture is good. Museums depict "culture" through collectively displaying artifacts, memorabalia, achievements, or even special activities that have defined what has been instrumental in developing a "culture" or segment of society. Saying that NASCAR isn't a cultural venue in North Carolina is like saying that bullfighting isn't a cultural venue in Spain or skiing isn't a cultural venue in Colorado. These activities are an integeral part of the culture of their particular regions.

Regardless of whether one divorces the concept of culture from NASCAR for some ridiculous, prejudical reason, it is part of the culture of North Carolina and other surrounding areas. The NASCAR Museum will be as much to culture as the the NASA Museum on Cape Canaveral, or the Fisherman's Museum in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

or mass murder is not a cultural venue in Afghanistan.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Culture
Quote:
The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group
Culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being that the moonshining culture of the Appalachians gave us NASCAR, I'd say NASCAR is a culture within the racing world. Being that Charlotte is one of the largest cities relatively close to the Appalachians, I'd say the NASCAR museum is one of the smartest moves Charlotte has ever made when it comes to tourist attractions. Thousands per year will come to Uptown just to see "THE NASCAR HALL OF FAME IN CHARLOTTE!!!". When I lived near the Oh/KY/WV statelines (Ashland KY) I could not believe how many folks in that region knew about Speed Street and where to eat in Charlotte during this event. Few Charlotteans are aware of just how much fame NASCAR brings to Charlotte. I had to leave Charlotte for several years to find out how much NASCAR helps bring a spotlight to this area. Thanks to the NASCAR Hall, many folks will now have a reason to come uptown too (instead of just hanging out in Concord). This is one of the reasons why we badly need light rail in the north. Out of town NASCAR fans are NOT interested in driving uptown. Most of them are too drunk or too lost to do so.

As for the other museums in the Cultural campus on South Tryon (the museums the OP were probably talking about in the first place) I think these are a wonderful and much needed addition to uptown.

The one thing a local museum could (and should) give more info on is the true identity of Queen Charlotte. There has been some historians that believe she was black (or better yet, biracial).

Quote:
If you google Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, you'll quickly come across a historian called Mario de Valdes y Cocom. He argues that her features, as seen in royal portraits, were conspicuously African, and contends that they were noted by numerous contemporaries. He claims that the queen, though German, was directly descended from a black branch of the Portuguese royal family, related to Margarita de Castro e Souza, a 15th-century Portuguese noblewoman nine generations removed, whose ancestry she traces from the 13th-century ruler Alfonso III and his lover Madragana, whom Valdes takes to have been a Moor and thus a black African.
Was This Britain's First Black Queen?

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-10-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Errr the NASCAR museum will indeed represent part of Southern CULTURE.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Errr the NASCAR museum will indeed represent part of Southern CULTURE.
I don't have a problem with Nascar. I think the complex they are building downtown will be great for the area. I even supported it at several community meetings/viewing when I moved here (GASP!).

I don't see it as a "cultural museum" and I don't see why there chicagoubs needed to be mocked because he/she expressed the same. It's the "Hall of Fame" and marketed this way - same as Cooperstown, the NFL HOF, etc. I don't see it as part of Southern Culture. Nascar is an American phenom, not limited to the "south". I don't think my opinion marginalizes the industry, the impact, the patrons, the employees of NASCAR at all, nor was it an attempt to do so.

It's really not a big deal. But I really don't get why we "mock" postings on this board rather than attempt to understand a point of reference.

ETA: It's called the NASCAR Hall of Fame, not the NASCAR Museum.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:44 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Time out y'all. The OP has made it clear that he/she wants our opinion on the new art museums on Tryon (NOT Nascar).
Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
the modern museum of art on tryon uptown.
Here is a video tour (model) of this "Cultural Campus".

YouTube - Video Tour of Mint Model

Here is a tour of the current Mint facilities in town.

YouTube - Museums in a Minute: The Mint Museums

Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with Nascar. I think the complex they are building downtown will be great for the area. I even supported it at several community meetings/viewing when I moved here (GASP!).

I don't see it as a "cultural museum" and I don't see why there chicagoubs needed to be mocked because he/she expressed the same. It's the "Hall of Fame" and marketed this way - same as Cooperstown, the NFL HOF, etc. I don't see it as part of Southern Culture. Nascar is an American phenom, not limited to the "south". I don't think my opinion marginalizes the industry, the impact, the patrons, the employees of NASCAR at all, nor was it an attempt to do so.

It's really not a big deal. But I really don't get why we "mock" postings on this board rather than attempt to understand a point of reference.

ETA: It's called the NASCAR Hall of Fame, not the NASCAR Museum.

Racin' or as the crunchie types of today like to call it, Nascar Racing. It most assuredly a culture. Racin' started here (off of Little Rock Road actually)....this is where it all began. It is a culture, it is our culture.
For the crunchie types it may be a museum but for the rest of us it is
culture and heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte