Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 AM

37 posts, read 93,326 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My son and I are traveling from New England this week to visit UNC Charlotte and Queens College. Can anyone please tell me about the neighborhoods surrounding these schools?

It appears to me that Queens is a very urban college where UNC might be more of a sprawled out college area? Am I correct?

We've already done a good amount of research regarding academics. Right now, I am most concerned with safety. How are these areas?

I realize that I should have posted this question sooner to get a greater response but it didn't dawn on me to turn to this forum for input.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldensTimes2 View Post
Hello:

My son and I are traveling from New England this week to visit UNC Charlotte and Queens College. Can anyone please tell me about the neighborhoods surrounding these schools?

It appears to me that Queens is a very urban college where UNC might be more of a sprawled out college area? Am I correct?

We've already done a good amount of research regarding academics. Right now, I am most concerned with safety. How are these areas?

I realize that I should have posted this question sooner to get a greater response but it didn't dawn on me to turn to this forum for input.

Thanks!
Both are great schools, but Queens is much smaller, and therefore safer, than UNCC.

Queens College is located in the heart of one of the oldest, most prestigious neighborhoods in Charlotte - Myers Park. The setting is lovely! UNCC is a much newer, more modern campus which sprawls across former farmland. It's not in a bad area per se, it is just near to one on its southern border. Students are frequent victims of crime in the nearby apartment complexes, some of which could be prevented if college kids took their safety more seriously. People I know whose kids attend UNCC tell me their kids love it and are having a great time. It used to be more of a suitcase college (where most people went home for the weekend) but has evolved in recent years into more like a traditional college where kids hang out there even on weekends.

I hope this helps you! And have a great trip

Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 AM

37 posts, read 93,326 times
LovesMountains;

Thanks for your reply and helpful info.

I did some further research and found that I was very mistaken. It thought that Queens was very urban and in a less than safe area. But, I find the descriptions of the neighborhood to match what you said-thank-you!

We are so excited about visiting Charlotte. We hear nothing but good things about the city. I'm afraid that I will fall in love and not want to leave!!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,217 times
My advice would be to investigate the faculty in the area in which your son will major. Compare the professional backgrounds (grad school, previous institutions, current research) of the professors in the two schools. I would think that this is a better way to choose a school than by it's neighborhood.

I suspect this post comes after your visit to Charlotte but maybe before your son's decision.

I wish you luck in choosing the right school for him. I remember with mixed feelings our trip north to visit schools. By the time we got to the last school the only places his fourteen-year-old sister wanted to visit were Limiteds or Banana Republics.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
If you are considering Queens College, you might also check out Davidson University while you are here. Both are private liberal arts schools. The town of Davidson, the area's only boutique city, is one of the most desirable parts of this area and safer than even the Myers Park neighborhood where Queens is located.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 18,708 times
I attended UNCC for 2 years and it was a good school but there was a lot of crime, but they started taking safety more seriously and took more actions to keep the university safer. Tip: If you are going joggin or walking at night or early in the morning always go with people you trust and bring a cellphone, NEVER go by yourself. Don't leave valuable inside your car where they are visible. Always lock your windows and doors to your dorms. I don't know much about Queens college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte