Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,663,278 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if it's just me, or is Uptown trying to keep people away?

I was thinking about all the things we used to do in uptown, and how recently there seem to be fewer and fewer reasons to go there anymore:

The Charlotte Music Festival - 3 days, 4 stages, hundreds of bands. What ever happened to that event?

The Outdoor Movies - projected against the side of the Duke Power Building with full surround-sound stereo. Same here - what happened?

The Comedy Zone, which recently closed.

I remember that all of the parking decks were open and free to the public after 6 PM and on weekends. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. As a matter of fact, I find it difficult at times to find a spot where public parking is allowed anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,771,054 times
When did the Comedy Zone close???

I was just there recently and have gone as long as I can remember!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,663,278 times
February, maybe. I know the last time we were there was New Year's Eve.

I think the closing was directly related to the fact that the owners of the adjacent parking lot started charging the Comedy Zone patrons for parking.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,916,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

I was thinking about all the things we used to do in uptown, and how recently there seem to be fewer and fewer reasons to go there anymore:

The Charlotte Music Festival - 3 days, 4 stages, hundreds of bands. What ever happened to that event?

The Outdoor Movies - projected against the side of the Duke Power Building with full surround-sound stereo. Same here - what happened?

I remember that all of the parking decks were open and free to the public after 6 PM and on weekends. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. As a matter of fact, I find it difficult at times to find a spot where public parking is allowed anytime.
The Charlotte music festival you are talking about had funding issues...it's a long story. It was not a city-sponsored event.

The movies have been in the summer on the wall at Wachovia plaza and also on the Green at the Ratcliffe. Last year was sponsored by 107.9 The Link. I do not know if they are sponsoring it again this year. In prior years it was sponsored by Clear Channel stations, not the city.

The parking is a direct result of the arena and the special events both there and at the PAC. Many decks now charge on all nights, but others only charge during special events. I have found this is no different than any city, even smaller, touristy ones like Charleston and Savannah.

The impact of the arena on parking was always a concern during construction, and rightfully so! I get tired of paying $5-10 each night. So...tip o' the day: the deck under Rock Bottom is always free, even on special event nights.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

All of those events you’ve mentioned were sponsored by private entities. So I wouldn't say that “Charlotte” is trying to keep people from Uptown. But as an FYI, the guy who used to run the music festival is opening up a new area called The NC Music Factory with the intent of giving Uptown a more permanent and consistent place to host events like his music festival. The link is below.

http://www.ncmusicfactory.com/

And here’s a link to a site that lists most of the Uptown events that will be coming up. As you’ll see many of the festivals are still around, like Taste of Charlotte, Speed Street, Charlotte Shout, etc.

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/

Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,771,054 times
The new music factory looks to be fun.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 PM

91 posts, read 412,130 times
I believe the Comedy Zone is going to open up again in the new EpiCentre development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte