Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 AM

157 posts, read 530,444 times

Advertisements

If the traffic wasn't bad enough and parking fees in a regular night like this is is a huge world class city of something like that; now The Knights might come Uptown. WHY???? We don't need a baseball field Uptown. Don't get me wrong, I like the Knights but they don't get the support and it is a waste of money to move them. This will cause parking to sky rocket at Uptown AGAIN! I am not up for this new stadium. It is a waste of money. This is another example of this city once again selling their soul to the damn developers! They are fine in Fort Mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:27 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,808,916 times
I second that emotion. I think that they will see a dramatic decrease in attendance due to the parking situation. I also have heard many people say "Well, it would be cool to leave work and go to the game". I think that most people that work uptown would get in their cars and head back to the suburbs like they normally do. How many games to the Knights play in a regular season? It's a lot...people may go to one or two but not many people will go to every game.

Lastly, I like the stadium where it is. The ticket prices are affordable and it makes for a good night of family entertainment. If they move it uptown that will end due to the cost of everything involved.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 AM

132 posts, read 449,798 times
Are the still trying, or is it a done deal already?

I agree with both of you--too much cost, not enough benefit.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 AM

29 posts, read 99,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I second that emotion. I think that they will see a dramatic decrease in attendance due to the parking situation. I also have heard many people say "Well, it would be cool to leave work and go to the game". I think that most people that work uptown would get in their cars and head back to the suburbs like they normally do. How many games to the Knights play in a regular season? It's a lot...people may go to one or two but not many people will go to every game.

Lastly, I like the stadium where it is. The ticket prices are affordable and it makes for a good night of family entertainment. If they move it uptown that will end due to the cost of everything involved.
your crazy if you think attendance will decrease. It'll increase simply because more people will have access to the stadium, if you live in the north charlotte or lake norman area, the current stadium is a long drive. Moving it to the center of the city will draw more people, also more walk up tickets will be sold in uptown then in Fort Mill.

It was a big mistake to build the stadium in Fort Mill to begin with.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Actually, in the area they are proposing it really won't affect traffic as badly as you may think. But yes, ticket prices will increase. Parking cost will increase, but only to the after-five crowd as they start charging special events rates after 4:30 in most cases already.

I'll say this though: I've talked to a lot of people and we all agree that we will go to 10x as many games if they move uptown. It's a heck of a lot more convenient than a bunch of us trying to get home, changed, meet up and then drive all the way to SC in post-rush hour to get parked, grab a drink/hotdog (because you won't have time to grab dinner at home while changing) and seated by 7:30-45!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
If the traffic wasn't bad enough and parking fees in a regular night like this is is a huge world class city of something like that; now The Knights might come Uptown. WHY???? We don't need a baseball field Uptown. Don't get me wrong, I like the Knights but they don't get the support and it is a waste of money to move them. This will cause parking to sky rocket at Uptown AGAIN! I am not up for this new stadium. It is a waste of money. This is another example of this city once again selling their soul to the damn developers! They are fine in Fort Mill.
Many of us thought it was a huge mistake to build down in York County in the first place. I say, thank goodness the city is rectifying the situation. The stadium in uptown will definitely attract more people simply by being more centrally located. I quit going to games years ago once I moved away from that end of the county - now I plan to buy season tickets. I am not concerned about the parking situation knowing where they plan to build.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 AM

255 posts, read 886,356 times
I am ALL for moving it uptown. That would be awesome.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM

523 posts, read 2,908,891 times
Has this been approved and where will it go? I feel like Uptown is pretty tiny to begin with so I'm just trying to figure out where it would fit!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Has this been approved and where will it go? I feel like Uptown is pretty tiny to begin with so I'm just trying to figure out where it would fit!
No gaurentee's yet, but it is looking hopeful!

Charlotte Observer | 07/11/2007 | County waves Knights toward uptown (http://www.charlotte.com/mobile/story/192503.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2007, 07:43 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,678,371 times
While I have no problem with moving the stadium uptown, I do have a big problem with HOW it's getting moved uptown.

IMO, 3 primary reasons people choose not to live within Charlotte Mecklenburg are (in no order):
  • [1]Taxes
    [2]How the government spends those taxes
    [3]and the CMS system

The stadium has to do with #2. Government has no business in the private sector. Government also has no right to veto the will of the people, which is what happened with the Bobcat's Arena. Other fancy purchases government has meddled in is the NASCAR Hall of Fame, arts, choo choo trains, and a water park. Will these things be successful? I don't know, but Bobcat's Arena is hardly pulling in the dough. Now take a look at the Wachovia Championship, which government has NO stake in! It is the best tournament on the PGA tour and perhaps the most successful event in Charlotte. It's a perfect example of why the market should control things, NOT THE GOVERNMENT!!

If you pay taxes to CharMeck, then your money gets spent any way the gov. wants to, regardless of your opinion. Just last night, county gov. gave $8million towards the stadium, ON TOP OF GIVING PUBLIC LAND TO THE STADIUM.

Charlotte indeed has one of the worst records for spend, spend, spend. And why should they care? It's YOUR money!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte