Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,395,409 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell laptop that the USB port is loose and I can't make connection. I've been told that the port might need to be welded to the main board. Does anyone know if this is a big job or where I can get this fixed a reasonable cost? If I take it to Geek squad they will send away for about 2wks and I figure the cost would be substantial. With the low cost of pcs nowadays I don't want to spend big money if I can get a new one for a couple hundred dollars more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,711,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I have a Dell laptop that the USB port is loose and I can't make connection. I've been told that the port might need to be welded to the main board. Does anyone know if this is a big job or where I can get this fixed a reasonable cost? If I take it to Geek squad they will send away for about 2wks and I figure the cost would be substantial. With the low cost of pcs nowadays I don't want to spend big money if I can get a new one for a couple hundred dollars more.
Did the person say weld or solder?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
You could try ATD Computers on Monroe Rd. They would look at it and let you know if it's worth fixing.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM

628 posts, read 2,079,295 times
I had a similar issue with my Dell Laptop except it was with the power port coming loose. All it should take is a drop of solder on to connect the USB to the motherboard, however I do not know of any shop that will do it. If you cannot find anyone...what you need to do is actually replace the entire motherboard. Depending on how old it is...you might want to fight it out with Dell customer service. When mine broke it was 1 year and 3 weeks old..the warranty just expired and I got bounced around all of India speaking and arguing with customer service until a manager called me 2 days later and agreed to fix it at no charge. You might want to try a small electronics repair shop rather than a large one such as geek squad. Good luck

And if it's over 3 years old.....it's time to upgrade anyhow!!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,497,672 times
Quote:
More than likely, they'll replace the motherboard of your laptop. It really isn't cost-effective to have someone try to solder the USB piece back on... assuming that is even possible. The cost of this repair is most likely to be $200 +. If your laptop is more than 3 years old, I'd consider replacing it. If you can hold out until late October, Windows 7 will be out and is a much better operating system than Vista. If you have many important files on your laptop, you might want to invest in an external hard drive case (Newegg.com carries them at a reasonable price) for your laptop's old hard drive and use it to transfer any files you really need, to the new laptop.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,217,046 times
I wouldn't try to get something like this fixed at any of the big box retailers. If those Geek guys knew about computers, they would be employed somewhere else. If you are handy with a soldering gun on small circuits then there are places on the internet where you can get instructions for fixing something like this. Otherwise, I am thinking most shops are going to tell you to have the mobo replaced. A signifcant expense and depending upon the age of the machine, might be better to just replace.

However all is not lost. If you have an unused PCMCIA slot, you can get an adapter that will give you some extra USB ports. Something like this $15 device.

http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=FroogleCatalog_CNETI570201.jpg&size=4 &dhm=978a6a85&hl=en (broken link)

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,497,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I wouldn't try to get something like this fixed at any of the big box retailers. If those Geek guys knew about computers, they would be employed somewhere else. If you are handy with a soldering gun on small circuits then there are places on the internet where you can get instructions for fixing something like this. Otherwise, I am thinking most shops are going to tell you to have the mobo replaced. A signifcant expense and depending upon the age of the machine, might be better to just replace.

However all is not lost. If you have an unused PCMCIA slot, you can get an adapter that will give you some extra USB ports. Something like this $15 device.

lumbollo - I'm glad you mentioned the PC card solution. I wasn't quite sure if they made those things anymore! I have a firewire version of that, out in a box in my garage. This is indeed, the cheapest fix!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 PM

403 posts, read 878,699 times
And.....if that doesn't work, stop by Dat-a-Syst on S. Blvd near Scaleybark and speak with Jeri the owner. I feel more than sure that she will have someone there check it out for you, and give their honest opinion. Really nice people....family owned and operated.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,354,517 times
Or you could take it apart , don proper ESD protection , and do it yourself.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,082 times
Just bear in mind that anyone other then Dell opening that laptop and doing any "work" on the MB will immediately void any possibility of warranty... in most cases, just opening the laptop to expose the MB will void the warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte