Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,648 times

Advertisements

Need your HELP!
My husband and I in our 50's, Jewish, are looking to move to Charlotte. Not sure where we want to live. Looking to spend in the $400,000 to 500,000 range. We were thinking of The Palisades in Charlotte. Need feedback and more ideas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 06:25 PM

120 posts, read 238,045 times
i know alot of long islanders that r going back to l.i...because they just could not get used to charlotte....me i love it.....got to luv the south...

Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
What's to get "used to"? Serious question. I'm moving from o.os. and am curious about your comment.

Tell us the good, bad, and the ugly.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieHerman View Post
Need your HELP!
My husband and I in our 50's, Jewish, are looking to move to Charlotte. Not sure where we want to live. Looking to spend in the $400,000 to 500,000 range. We were thinking of The Palisades in Charlotte. Need feedback and more ideas..

Hi Bonnie. Why the move to Charlotte? Care to share?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
You will have many options in your price range. What are you looking for in a home and community? The Palisades is a lovely community with great amenities, but you may want to be closer in to town or to the JCC. We moved from Plainview NY in 1998 and love it here.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM

26 posts, read 72,766 times
Default Jewish Community in Lake Norman

There is a growing Jewish community in the Lake Norman region. It wouldn't hurt to look at Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, or Mooresville.

The congregation is called the Lake Norman Jewish Congregation. Lake Norman Jewish Congregation - Our mission is to meet the religious, educational, social and life cycle needs of the Jewish community of Lake Norman, attentive to families' individual needs. (http://www.lakenormanjc.org - broken link)

there is also a another group called Beth Shalom, a local hadassah chapter, and a culture group called Chavurah of Lake Norman.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,489 times
Default moving to Charlotte

Hi,
Welcome to the area. I, too, am Jewish and from NY. I love it here. I find the people wonderful and don't miss NY at all. I am also in my 50's. I have met many people. both Jewish and otherwise. The Beth Shalom Synagogue in Lake Norman is wonderful. It is a new Conservative Synagogue. The people are extremely friendly. If you have any other questions you could contact me. I love hearing from fellow New Yorkers.

Koggy17@aol.com

Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieHerman View Post
Need your HELP!
My husband and I (also from LI) have purchased recetnly in Brandon Oaks, a sub division in Indian Trail NC - check it out on line; they do have some high end homes at great prices right now; approximately 20 miles outside of Charlotte! The sub divisiion also many transplants from NY/NJ area....we love it, although we are not completely there yet; we do go back and forth....

msnuzzy

Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM

53 posts, read 154,043 times
Default new construction

Sounds like you are considering new construction since you mentioned the Palisades. I think that is a great way to meet other people who are also new to the area.

We built a house about a year ago and have had a very easy time adjusting to the area in part because all of out neighbors were also new to Charlotte.

We live in Marvin and have met many people in the area that are from NY. We even have a bagel shop/deli nearby that is run by people who relocated from NY. Some Some possible neighborhoods to consider in Marvin are Providence Downs South, Barrington, Chimneys of Marvin and Marvin Creek.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 99,419 times
My wife and I are in the same boat. Thinking seriously about leaving our beautiful water view but high cost of living home in Bay Shore L.I. for Lake Wylie near Belmont.
We made three trips so far in the past 6 months to Lake Norman and Wylie and prefer the wooded rolling hills of the latter, especially around Reflection Point . Reminds us of L.I. north shore area.
The only negative we keep seeing are the prevalence of high tension towers on all three lakes so that always seems to be a fly in the ointment.
Anyone moved to the lake Wylie area? We can sure use your input. We are looking for a lot on the water in a gated community and close to the airport. Also what do you think of the area for New Yorkers?

Last edited by CAL Pilot; 09-11-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte