Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:16 AM

113 posts, read 443,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
I tried that on my drainage issue. The regional manager at the time addmitted in front of a county engineer that it was, in fact, dangerous, but, refused to rectify the problem. We got into a slightly heated arguement standing on the edge of this drainage area and the manager blatantly refused to do anything to make it 'safe', citing it wasn't their responsibility.

While I did not get the results I wanted for safety, currently, the situation is under 'control'. Now, whether or not the drainage holds and doesn't cave in anymore is a wait-and-see issue. To date, this drainage issue has been 'addressed' a total of 5 times. I've lived here less than two years. The builder still did not 'fix' it the way the county told them it was to be fixed. The builder took the 'cheap' way out and did it 'their' way. (not surprising) So, we're watching to see if this last 'fix' holds up. So far, it's held up for about 7 months. Having said that, we're in a drought. If and when the rains start up again.....we'll see if it holds up.
I see you had a discussion with the county engineer-- did you document this and forward to the builder's bosses? This is the ONLY way to communicate with them on an issue that will cost them money. Only the fear of suit- written, certified and sent to the appropriate people will make it work. You can still put them on notice... state the facts, and that you are watching and waiting. If they don't dispute the facts, you are laying the ground workfor future action. It sounds like you need to be on the record with them just in case. PM me if you need more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 12,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamckeithan View Post
My wife & I recently purchased a McCar home in Charlotte, NC. The neighborhood is called Farington Oaks. The homes in this neighborhood are not starter homes & ours; probably like many others came with a lot premium. In most cases; when you purchase a home in a nice neighborhood from a large builder you expect certain things such as good service, no surprises, & if there are surprises… good communication from management. There is a drainage pipe easement that runs down one side of our property line. It stops where the backyard begins. The pipe has created a pond of water that is currently a few inches deep. This water drains into my backyard (about a 1/4 of an acre) which is almost always wet because of the drainage pipe. Currently, the situation is not sanitary or safe (standing water & wet/damp grounds = bugs, snakes, & danger for children & pets). I am not able to use a 1/4 acre of my backyard for much at all because it’s almost always wet. Did I mention that I paid a lot premium? We have been talking to people since January trying to get this thing taken care of & it’s almost May. This neighborhood is currently beginning to expand & build more homes behind my house. I wish that I could tell the reader that everything has gone smoothly & that I would recommend a McCar home to anyone. When you purchase a home you should not purchase a headache. Who want’s to buy a headache? Well, if you are thinking of purchasing a lot near a drainage pipe easement (McCar home or not) I would advise you to avoid this & buy somewhere else. It looks terrible, it’s not safe, and it’s not sanitary. I will post a new entry once this easement has been fixed. Until then, I hope that this information will be helpful.

I live on the other end of the drainage pipe easement. Since we have moved in at the end of November, they have redone the easement twice. It seems to be serving its purpose now. We have a retaining wall with river rock in the center to help slow the flow of the water running into the farmland behind us. They are also putting the same river rock behind the first 5 houses across the street from me to slow the water from running to our back yard. We are currently waiting for a fence to be put in around it so that children/animals cannot get in the pipe and get hurt. If you want to come down and check it out, please feel free (everyone else in the world is checking it out). This may be something that you need done on your end as well. I cannot tell you the status of anything that is going on with this project since no one keeps us in the loop.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 AM

93 posts, read 393,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMcDonald View Post
I see you had a discussion with the county engineer-- did you document this and forward to the builder's bosses? This is the ONLY way to communicate with them on an issue that will cost them money. Only the fear of suit- written, certified and sent to the appropriate people will make it work. You can still put them on notice... state the facts, and that you are watching and waiting. If they don't dispute the facts, you are laying the ground workfor future action. It sounds like you need to be on the record with them just in case. PM me if you need more.
Actually, no. I did not. Present at this backyard "meeting" last fall were myself, the county engineer, the regional manager with McCar (at that time) and one of his employees. The engineer specifically gave instruction to the regional manager as to proper repair to avoid any further 'cave-ins'. Unfortunately, the builder didn't do it the way they were instructed. And, wouldn't you know it? We had a torrential rain Friday night and there was another 'cave in'. Talk about timing, huh? I stopped into the construction office this morning to let them know. So, they should be out to fix it again. I think this is repair #6?? I've honestly lost count. Keep you posted on the outcome.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Actually, no. I did not. Present at this backyard "meeting" last fall were myself, the county engineer, the regional manager with McCar (at that time) and one of his employees. The engineer specifically gave instruction to the regional manager as to proper repair to avoid any further 'cave-ins'. Unfortunately, the builder didn't do it the way they were instructed. And, wouldn't you know it? We had a torrential rain Friday night and there was another 'cave in'. Talk about timing, huh? I stopped into the construction office this morning to let them know. So, they should be out to fix it again. I think this is repair #6?? I've honestly lost count. Keep you posted on the outcome.
Terry McDonald is right about the power of notifying people of such things in writing. Conversations with people are pointless. I don't allow people to discuss such situations with me on the phone, in person, etc. It's too easy to claim such conversations never took place or to deny the content of the discussion. Now that you've advised them in person, why not immediately follow-up with a certified letter to the powers that be? I'd also cc the county engineer and whomever else can be instrumental in getting action. Don't delay. They are going to continue jerking you around. It appears they have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

SL

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Terry McDonald is right about the power of notifying people of such things in writing. Conversations with people are pointless. I don't allow people to discuss such situations with me on the phone, in person, etc. It's too easy to claim such conversations never took place or to deny the content of the discussion. Now that you've advised them in person, why not immediately follow-up with a certified letter to the powers that be? I'd also cc the county engineer and whomever else can be instrumental in getting action. Don't delay. They are going to continue jerking you around. It appears they have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

SL

Thanks! Your advice is very insightful and helpful!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Well, an update on the drainage cave-in: McCar came out today and repaired the cave-in section. I was very pleased as I'd only informed them of this newest cave-in just yesterday morning! It required more rock than we'd like...but...we realized that it was best to give the water a proper channel to flow rather than just wait for the next cave-in. They did a great job and we were very pleased with their quick response and the finished look. (Albeit, it took 6 different repairs on this drainage area, we're hoping this is the last fix.)

Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Well, an update on the drainage cave-in: McCar came out today and repaired the cave-in section. I was very pleased as I'd only informed them of this newest cave-in just yesterday morning! It required more rock than we'd like...but...we realized that it was best to give the water a proper channel to flow rather than just wait for the next cave-in. They did a great job and we were very pleased with their quick response and the finished look. (Albeit, it took 6 different repairs on this drainage area, we're hoping this is the last fix.)
I am happy for you and your family.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,932 times
See! That is the service we have been getting for over 5 years. I'm glad to hear you're having some good experiences.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 PM

17 posts, read 73,188 times
Default McCar homes

I own a McCar home in Magnolia Springs, Harrisburg, NC.

We had waste water from the upstairs washer backing up into the toilet downstairs. After three months of McCar not wanting to do anything I finally found the Cabarrus county inspectors office and reported the problem. I demanded to know who inspected my house and how sewage backing up into potable water let it pass. I e-mailed it on a Sunday. 9am Monday mornig I had County inspectors and Mccar standing on my front porch. City governments have a thing about sewage backing up into the water supply.
McCar had to rip up my foundation and guess what! The toilet was plummed wrong !!! Duh !! Speedway Pumbing in Harrisburg had to re-plumb. This was months of complaints and Speedway saying it was fine.

In short. Call your County inspectors office and ask them to look at it or your local DHEC office.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
Default I also live in Fairington Oaks

I just found this forum and this can be a good collection of Good and Bad things on McCar. I am in lot 25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte