Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 22,016 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I have read tons of posts about suburbs near Charlotte. People looking for good school and affordable homes. We would like this as well, however, my question is about a nice neighborhood with families of different religions. My husband has a chance to transfer to Charlotte. We live in a suburb 30 minutes outside Detroit. It is a great neighborhood with many families with religious/cultural differences and would like to move someplace similar if possible.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by michelejprice; 08-15-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelejprice View Post
Let me start by saying I have read tons of posts about suburbs near Charlotte. People looking for good school and affordable homes. We would like this as well, however, my question is about a nice neighborhood with families of different religions. My husband has a chance to transfer to Charlotte. We live in a suburb 30 minutes outside Detroit. It is a great neighborhood with many families with religious/cultural differences and would like to move someplace similar if possible.

Any help would be great.
Michele, you will need to readjust your expectations and try to understand the area you are moving to a bit better.

Charlotte is a wonderful place to raise a family, but we are a city basically founded by Scots/Irish Presbyterians. While we do have a growing ethnic population, and you will find every religion in the world represented here in some form or fashion, this is not a city made up of many different "diverse" neighborhoods. Truly, your biggest concern, if you have kids, should be to pick a section of the city nearest to where your husband will work which has the best schools.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
The advice Loves has given is spot on.

If you are looking for an area that is similar to Dearborn, for example, it just isn't here.

One of my friends is from India and has been here about 20 years. She has mentioned to me over the years that she and her hubby have made contacts with other Indian families and some of have purposely moved closer to them so that they would all be able to socialize more easily but that she learned early on that Charlotte does not have actual communities built around cultural roots.

To understand NC, you have to understand our history, which was basically agrarian, and thus - attracted folks looking for land to farm - and most of those folks were Irish, German, Swiss and Scots. In addition, we have strong African American communities, as slavery was also an institution that grew b/c of the large cotton and tobacco plantations located in the state.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:22 PM

182 posts, read 440,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Michele, you will need to readjust your expectations and try to understand the area you are moving to a bit better.

Charlotte is a wonderful place to raise a family, but we are a city basically founded by Scots/Irish Presbyterians. While we do have a growing ethnic population, and you will find every religion in the world represented here in some form or fashion, this is not a city made up of many different "diverse" neighborhoods. Truly, your biggest concern, if you have kids, should be to pick a section of the city nearest to where your husband will work which has the best schools.

Lovesmountains, hits the mark. Her advice is excellent.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,007,040 times
We get similar threads like this every so often. Really the bottomline is that not all cities are alike. Charlotte has some unique and wonderful qualities but the neighborhoods are not developed around various ethnicities. What we do have though are many groups and celebrations of different cultures. Right now for instance there is an Irish festival uptown, in a few weeks there will be a Greek one then in October a Latin Festival. Like Loves said, find a home based on some non-negotiable details like crime, schools, lot sizes, walkability... whatever you feel is important, then find diversity in the way you live. Welcome!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:46 AM

All this info is helpful. I guess I should have realized it might be difficult to "copy" this somewhere else! Though I am glad to hear there are festivals and the like celebrating diversity. We happen to be a family of mixed religion. One of us is Jewish and one Christian. My kids play/go to school with other kids that come in various religions and ethnicities, plus many mixtures!! It is just great to have them exposed to such a wonderful variety.

We will just need to drive around the different neighborhoods and see what we find. Any suggestions? Hopefully the realtor we get through the company knows the areas well. When we moved here, we found the neighborhood on our own. The realtor really didn't know her stuff!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 AM

46 posts, read 138,259 times
Look in South Charlotte, area 5. Stay within hwy. 51. Temple Beth El is on Providence Road. There are a gazillion churches. Pick a realtor who has been in the business at least 10 years.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,552,467 times
Just had to say that
Michele,you will need to readjust your expectation and try and understand the area you are moving to a bit better

particularly without a "Hi" "Welcome" or any other greeting sounds very patronising!

Truly, your biggest concern, if you have kids, should be to pick a section of the city nearest to where your husband will work which has the best schools.

Do people not understand that it is not up to them to tell someone (who asked specificallyabout ethnicity and religion that they should override this need with the need for short commute times and good schools?

I wish people would try and read their posts as if through the eyes of the OP and show a little more empathy sometimes.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks Susan42!
I appreciate all the time people took to answer; though you are correct in your observation that not everyone answers the actual question. My husband is willing to have a long commute if we can find a great/safe neighborhood for our kids to live in! Was just looking for some suggestions on cities/neighborhoods, etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,919 times
our experience in charlotte involved meeting people of all colors, religions.

the jewish community center on providence road is a wonderful place , for jews and non jews.
it is truly unique , 2 temples are also located on the grounds.

charlotte is full of churches!!

the public schools will give you an opportunity to meet people of all colors, nationalities and faiths.

i also agree with looking in area 5 , parts of are 6 and 4 , def. stay within hiway 51.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte