Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 12,507 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move out of NYC within next year. Would love to hear pro and cons as to which would be better for us to move to. We have to toddler aged kids and great schools and safe location are important to us. We are looking to spend around 400K. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
In all honesty, both cities will offer great neighborhoods and some excellent schools. Dallas is much larger. It all is a matter if you want to live in a metro of 2 million or a metro of 4 million. I believe the cost of living is pretty similar and growth patterns are as well. I do believe that sports teams are much better in Dallas. But, you already know that. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Charlotte has better weather.

Barring anything thing else such as being on a lake, then when you have seen one sun belt suburb built in the last 20 years, you have seen them all. I'd say there isn't much difference beyond that if you have a job lined up.

Last edited by frewroad; 11-26-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,017 times
I moved from Dallas to Charlotte. Dallas has better restaurants and sports teams, but the summers are horrendous. If you are moving from NYC, Charlotte summers will be hot enough. Also Charlotte has more trees and better surroundings - mountains in 2.5 hours;beach in 3. The only reason I would choose Dallas is if the job is measurably better and if a larger city is important to you.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 12,507 times
Thanks for all the replies. My concerns regarding Charlotte is the following. I know that summers are hotter than NYC, however how are winters? Does it snow as much as NYC? Would one have higher annual utility bill because you have both relativity hot summer and winters?

I like the fact that Charlotte is green. We were looking at providence towne and Matthews because they seem to have good schools. However, would we have as much access to shops and restaurants as we would in Plano TX? Is commute to Charlotte from those suburb be very long?

Thanks again.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
As much snow as NYC? Oh my, no. It's been 2-3 years since there has been a significant snow here and even that only lasted a day. It's very uncommon. Snow removal in Charlotte means letting it melt. it won't take long.

On the other hand if you want to see snow in the winter, only a short 90 minute drive will have you in the highest mountains on the East coast where there will be plenty of snow and the activities that go with it.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,017 times
Matthews to Charlotte is actually less miles than Plano to Dallas. I would think the commute is similar, but there are closer-in areas with good schools in Charlotte as well. Charlotte is very suburban compared to northern cities so you don't have to move to a completely different town to have a good school.
Shopping is accessible everywhere but there is not as much of it as in Dallas. I think that's a good thing. We have some very nice shopping centers and malls, a few roads unfortunately lined with strip malls, but many areas are green and bucolic. There are a few areas where it feels you are in the country (some dead-end roads) but you're only 15 minutes from downtown. You could certainly choose to live near shopping - in the Ballantyne area for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte