Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM

190 posts, read 866,695 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at relocating/retiring and Charlotte has come up on the list.

We live in a coastal town in MA now (Newburyport) and love it albeit for the dreaded long winters and high cost of housing. Last year we had 100 inches of snow, and you cannot touch a nice single family 3BR, 2BA in this town for under 650K.

We are not big city people, so do not want to live in Charlotte itself, but want to be close enough to be able to go in for sporting events, major hospitals, etc.

However, we will likely spend most of our time in our own community, as we rarely go into Boston now, even though it isn't all that far.

Our wishes:
A place with a real "downtown" with bookstores, library, restaurants, shops.
Grocery store, hardware store, and drugstore in town
A place nearby to buy necessities - pajamas, socks, underwear, etc.
Someplace with a sense of community and things going on - farmers markets, house tours, etc.

Our needs:
Close to a good hospital, preferably in town, as my husband has a heart condition and asthma that have cause late-night frantic visits
Safety - we own a dog, and I often walk her alone late at night. Don't want to be somewhere where I have to be "on guard" at night
A good vet, and ideally a 24-hr animal hospital close by

Job necessity is up in the air - depends on the house price. I am in financial services now, also have a background in health care. But I am not picky about what I do. Wouldn't mind a change - working in a bookstore or vet's office.

Our budget is max 250K. We don't require a huge place, it's just the two of us. 3 BR, 2 BA, 1800 sq ft, preferably newer, and preferably with a yard we could fence for the dog - we would need a development that allows high privacy fences, as she can scale a 6' fence.

We don't have kids, so schools are not a consideration.

We'd like a place that is friendly to transplants.

We are in our late 50s, early 60s. Like to do things, but are pretty low key - a movie here and there, going out to eat at a non-chain restaurant once in a while, walking downtown with our dog, walking in parks, biking.

We are also looking at Willimsburg, VA, as we ddn't want to be too far from the water, but housing there is getting up in price. We love the vibe of the place, though, and are looking for a similar feel.

I'm assuming weather is similar - hot and humid in Summer and nicer Winters than we have in MA with little snow and not frigid temps.

Have "looked" (on-line) at Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews and Cornelius. Not sure if we are barking up the right tree? -)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
My husband and I are looking at relocating/retiring and Charlotte has come up on the list.

We live in a coastal town in MA now (Newburyport) and love it albeit for the dreaded long winters and high cost of housing. Last year we had 100 inches of snow, and you cannot touch a nice single family 3BR, 2BA in this town for under 650K.

We are not big city people, so do not want to live in Charlotte itself, but want to be close enough to be able to go in for sporting events, major hospitals, etc.

However, we will likely spend most of our time in our own community, as we rarely go into Boston now, even though it isn't all that far.

Our wishes:
A place with a real "downtown" with bookstores, library, restaurants, shops.
Grocery store, hardware store, and drugstore in town
A place nearby to buy necessities - pajamas, socks, underwear, etc.
Someplace with a sense of community and things going on - farmers markets, house tours, etc.

Our needs:
Close to a good hospital, preferably in town, as my husband has a heart condition and asthma that have cause late-night frantic visits
Safety - we own a dog, and I often walk her alone late at night. Don't want to be somewhere where I have to be "on guard" at night
A good vet, and ideally a 24-hr animal hospital close by

Job necessity is up in the air - depends on the house price. I am in financial services now, also have a background in health care. But I am not picky about what I do. Wouldn't mind a change - working in a bookstore or vet's office.

Our budget is max 250K. We don't require a huge place, it's just the two of us. 3 BR, 2 BA, 1800 sq ft, preferably newer, and preferably with a yard we could fence for the dog - we would need a development that allows high privacy fences, as she can scale a 6' fence.

We don't have kids, so schools are not a consideration.

We'd like a place that is friendly to transplants.

We are in our late 50s, early 60s. Like to do things, but are pretty low key - a movie here and there, going out to eat at a non-chain restaurant once in a while, walking downtown with our dog, walking in parks, biking.

We are also looking at Willimsburg, VA, as we ddn't want to be too far from the water, but housing there is getting up in price. We love the vibe of the place, though, and are looking for a similar feel.

I'm assuming weather is similar - hot and humid in Summer and nicer Winters than we have in MA with little snow and not frigid temps.

Have "looked" (on-line) at Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews and Cornelius. Not sure if we are barking up the right tree? -)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, first you need to understand the lay of the land

Charlotte is a VERY suburban city. It is not like old historic cities such as Boston, Chicago or New Orleans.

You can actually live in the city limits of Charlotte and feel as though you ARE in the suburbs.

For all the things you say you'd like to be able to do the towns surrounding Charlotte with a "real downtown" will be Matthews and Davidson. However, I can't think of a place in either town where you could walk to buy socks or underwear, lol. And Davidson is just about out of your price range. So that leaves Matthews, which does have a nice hospital and a real sense of community.

Other than Matthews, I would suggest you look at south Charlotte itself. There are neighborhoods, nooks and crannies to find all you are looking for scattered throughout.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM

190 posts, read 866,695 times
Default Summer's Walk?

What about Summer's Walk in Davidson? Seems Ryan Homes is building some homes @ 220K there.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
What about Summer's Walk in Davidson? Seems Ryan Homes is building some homes @ 220K there.
I like Ryan Homes and I like Summer's Walk. But it isn't within walking distance of anything - it's more of a country setting. You'd have to drive to everything.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, first you need to understand the lay of the land

Charlotte is a VERY suburban city. It is not like old historic cities such as Boston, Chicago or New Orleans.

You can actually live in the city limits of Charlotte and feel as though you ARE in the suburbs.

For all the things you say you'd like to be able to do the towns surrounding Charlotte with a "real downtown" will be Matthews and Davidson. However, I can't think of a place in either town where you could walk to buy socks or underwear, lol. And Davidson is just about out of your price range. So that leaves Matthews, which does have a nice hospital and a real sense of community.

Other than Matthews, I would suggest you look at south Charlotte itself. There are neighborhoods, nooks and crannies to find all you are looking for scattered throughout.

Wondering if Waxhaw or Fort Mill may be suitable as well.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Wondering if Waxhaw or Fort Mill may be suitable as well.
Waxhaw - no. (home prices and distance to the hospital)

Fort Mill, maybe Though not sure where she'd walk to from home for those underwear and socks she mentioned she might want

Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Waxhaw - no. (home prices and distance to the hospital)

Fort Mill, maybe Though not sure where she'd walk to from home for those underwear and socks she mentioned she might want
Easy Baxter Village is walking distance from walmart

Old 02-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Easy Baxter Village is walking distance from walmart
I thought about that, but then you've got to cross that busy 4 lane I sense they want something more walkable than that, more small town feeling

Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I thought about that, but then you've got to cross that busy 4 lane I sense they want something more walkable than that, more small town feeling

Such a shame that Charlotte is one of the worst walkable places in the USA. (It was a forbes article slamming cities that you need a car in)

Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM

576 posts, read 586,057 times
I'd say Matthews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte