Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 PM

28 posts, read 96,718 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
First of all I want to thank again for the recommendations, insight, etc. from everyone in here while I was making all the typical relo questions to move from Los Angeles, and wanted to take a minute to share my experiences so far.
I am happy with our new life, it's been basically everything we were looking for- great for the kids, love their schools, love the trees and outdoor possibilities, and the Y!
We live in S. CLT and of course still have a lot of areas to discover, but almost everything we've seen so far was really nice.
Negatives- can't think of many other than the bad driving in general and spefically the tailgating. And bugs (not that bad though).
There's only one thing I have to mention that bothers me, and I know there are many threads about this. It's the attitude from some people I've met and constantly complain about how 'Southern' people are and talk about how great it was 'back home'. I always thought that if you choose to move anywhere, for whatever reason, you should be willing to respect that place and culture and try to contribute to it in your way, and if you realize you really don't like it just go somewhere else or shut up until you can...
I work from home and didn't get to know a lot of people besides my neighbors yet (mainly from NY), and I get all excited every time I meet a local- I still need to figure out the best way to get more in touch with locals and learn more about the Southern culture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,357,146 times
Just try to refrain from walking around in certain areas due to hassles by idiots. Other than that , you should enjoy yourself. Also , there is a proliferation of stupid drivers here who will jump in front of you at the final minute and drag a$$ . Try to ignore and dont slack on the horn!! I use mine at least 20 times in 30 mins. and , despite having been cursed , spat at , and had attempts to run me into a lake , the horn is there for a reason. Good luck in your endeavours!!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM

841 posts, read 1,434,327 times
I once heard two former NYers commented about how "great" that they had it in NY (nevermind the fact that they chose to come here). I looked at my fellow Southern-raised friend and remarked, "You know, to hear them tell it, it is a wonder that our knuckles aren't dragging the ground."

I think some NYers just have an inflated ego (rightly or wrongly) about "The Greatest City In The World." But to a point, I believe it's human nature to feel a sense of pride that where you were raised is "best." Otherwise, you have to admit that where you were raised was a less-than-desirable place.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,583,498 times
Hi, Pikitina!

Glad you are settled in here in Charlotte! I know it has been a big change in many ways - and hope it has been positive and a happy move for you and your family.

There are those of us "natives" here - but Charlotte is about 2/3 newcomers now! And a lot of the newcomers are from NY. I hear complaints, too, f/ newcomers (about "the way things are here") but the natives typically shrug it off - cause the people complaining are usually not as sophisticated as they would like to appear, Hee Hee. We are fully aware that some people move here w/ a very inflated sense of their own importance and silly stereotypes in their heads about Southerners in general. However, I have found those folks are not the majority of newcomers.

It isn't easy to break into the close-knit circle of real Southerners (people who have families who have been here for 150 or more years). For one thing, depending on where you live, you may simply not have the opportunity to actually interact on a social level w/ natives. Joining clubs, churches, volunteer groups may put you in touch w/ Southerners and will certainly put you in touch w/ many fine people who have chosen to make Charlotte their home. I have made so many wonderful friends since moving back here - and nearly all of them are from somewhere else - wh/ has been a lot of fun.

Charlotte isn't very "Southern" on the surface anymore. With Southerners more or less being the minority in Charlotte itself, what folks end up thinking is "Southern" is often "rural South" b/c that is where so many more long-time residents are the majority - in smaller towns and in the more rural areas.

Join some groups . . . check out the Mint Museum - they have some nice programs and events. You will meet a wider group of people once you expand beyond your immediate neighborhood.

Natives are out here . . . we will greet you with a smile and a parking lot (or grocery line) discussion about your cute shoes or a query about who your hairdresser is, LOL! Southerners tend to be friendly and up for spontaneous discussions. When those things take place (such as at the Y) don't hesitate to ask a friendly native what groups they would suggest for you to get involved in - or where to find a resource . . . most people will be quick to respond and who knows - you might make a new friend.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,997,588 times
I actually like Southern folks more than I liked the people from back home.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:20 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,908,024 times
I think it's human to make comparisons, but if it's always one-sided (NY is better, for example), then that would be hard to listen to all the time. I haven't experienced too much of the "it's better back home" attitude since moving here. Most transplants I speak to seem very happy and really like it here.

What I have noticed, however, are the frequent comparisons of North vs. South on this forum. I never realized how many people harbor negative feelings about the North!!

Last edited by CVP; 07-29-2009 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,425,693 times
Well, I'm a transplant and after 2.5yrs, I can comfortably say I would NEVER move back North if I had a choice.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
I think it's human to make comparisons, but if it's always one-sided (NY is better, for example), then that would be hard to listen to all the time. I haven't experienced too much of the "it's better back home" attitude since moving here. Most transplants I speak to seem very happy and really like it here.

What I have noticed, however, are the frequent comparisons of North vs. South on this forum. I never realized how many people harbor negative feelings about the North!!
Natives do not harbor negative feelings about "the North." We are, rather, very tired of being condescended to by a small portion of folks who relocate here from "the North" and are very vocal about how they feel personally diminished by "all the hicks down here." Fortunately, that is only a small group of people - and my friends who have relocated here from "the North" tell me that group of people is the same group that aggravated everyone in their former communities "up North."

In other words, there will always be a group of people in any society who find it entertaining to complain and kvetch about everyone and everything around them, in order to reassure themselves that they are "special." These are the same folks who keep things stirred up in the new neighborhoods they have moved to - as well as in the schools.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,260,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I once heard two former NYers commented about how "great" that they had it in NY (nevermind the fact that they chose to come here). I looked at my fellow Southern-raised friend and remarked, "You know, to hear them tell it, it is a wonder that our knuckles aren't dragging the ground."

I think some NYers just have an inflated ego (rightly or wrongly) about "The Greatest City In The World." But to a point, I believe it's human nature to feel a sense of pride that where you were raised is "best." Otherwise, you have to admit that where you were raised was a less-than-desirable place.
People like that tick me off...if where you came from was so much better, why did you f'ng leave in the first place....as for me, there is no way I think OH was a better place to be raised than here...

Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
People like that tick me off...if where you came from was so much better, why did you f'ng leave in the first place....as for me, there is no way I think OH was a better place to be raised than here...
Well, I like it here fine . . .but I also liked living elsewhere. I am with you - make the most of where you are living and if you don't like where you ended up - either be proactive and help be a force for change - or be quiet and figure out how to move back to paradise, LOL!!!! Every place has its pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: