Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 07:45 AM

86 posts, read 388,991 times

Advertisements

So, we went house hunting last weekend in Charlotte. We are from NY. We encountered many people who had lived in their homes for just a couple of years and were moving (many within the same community, or from a neighboring town to another). It also seems to be a common element as I read through these Charlotte boards. In my neck of the woods, people tend to buy a house and stay in it, for better or for worse, for a long time (generalizing here...don't flame me). One of the reasons being that between realtor fees, closing costs, etc, it's extremely costly to move in NY. Is that not the case in Charlotte?

In Fort Mill, one woman told me she had lived in 3 different houses in Baxter (Fort Mill) in the last 6 years!! Another, same thing, moving from one house in Baxter to another after 3 years. And then there are all these 2-3 year old houses on the market all throughout the Charlotte area. Can anyone rationalize why this is the case? I also see it in the "feeling" of the houses. Many look like museum showpieces, and not "lived in" homes. I know many people work in the banking business which is big on transfers, but surely this cannot account for ALL the moving around after just a couple of years. I'm not sure I'd be happy in a place where my neighbors changed every couple of years.

anyone have any insight on this observation?
thanks!
Renee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,304,636 times
We see a lot of this in Raleigh as well. Here it is usually a combination of 3 things.

1) Lots of Folks transfer in/out for career related reasons
2) People Upgrade to larger homes as their income improves.
3) Some transplants buy when they first move instead of renting first, then and after living there for a year or two and becoming more familiar with the metro area and all the available housing options realize that a differnt location in the Metro better suites them.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 AM

178 posts, read 875,865 times
I think the strong real estate market has also been a factor. People are seeing huge increases in their homes, with an opportunity to make money & get a larger/better home without paying capital gains.

To qualify for this gain exclusion, the seller must have occupied the property for two of the five years before the sale. There is no limit on how many times you can take the exclusion, but is can only be taken once every two years.

You don't have to buy another home to receive capital gains tax relief. And you only pay tax on gain you realize over $250,000, for a single individual and $500,000, for a married couple.

I have a friend that moves almost every two years because he makes so much money on his homes.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:44 PM

192 posts, read 687,798 times
My personal experience: WE bought a starter home in a cheap neighborhood (SE Charlotte) when we first got married, then when we started thinking about starting a family we moved to a nicer area (up near Huntersville). From there, we moved out of state due to a job transfer and when we were able, we moved back but into a more desirable school district (Ft. Mill). I truly don't want to move again. My kids have been uprooted enough.

Most of my friends back in my old neighborhood are still there and plan to retire there.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 PM

942 posts, read 1,394,831 times
I think you may notice it more because people in the northeast especially New York and New England, stay in homes for decades, it is how I was raised in Massachusetts. Once you leave the northeast you will notice people move over and over, I can't really say I like that feeling myself, constant new neighbors is like living in a motel area. Its the same out here in Portland, and any fast growing region of the country you will notice neighorhoods changing residents over and over.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,603 times
I do notice that many people that I know move around the area but most do it because their kids are getting close to school age and move to a better school zone..if we had stayed in CT we would have just put an addition on our house instead of moving to a bigger house when the time came for that (we were already in a good school district ) Our house in Cornelius is for sale but that is because we are moving to Atlanta

Old 04-13-2007, 10:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,963,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscap View Post
So, we went house hunting last weekend in Charlotte. We are from NY. We encountered many people who had lived in their homes for just a couple of years and were moving (many within the same community, or from a neighboring town to another). It also seems to be a common element as I read through these Charlotte boards. In my neck of the woods, people tend to buy a house and stay in it, for better or for worse, for a long time (generalizing here...don't flame me). One of the reasons being that between realtor fees, closing costs, etc, it's extremely costly to move in NY. Is that not the case in Charlotte?

In Fort Mill, one woman told me she had lived in 3 different houses in Baxter (Fort Mill) in the last 6 years!! Another, same thing, moving from one house in Baxter to another after 3 years. And then there are all these 2-3 year old houses on the market all throughout the Charlotte area. Can anyone rationalize why this is the case? I also see it in the "feeling" of the houses. Many look like museum showpieces, and not "lived in" homes. I know many people work in the banking business which is big on transfers, but surely this cannot account for ALL the moving around after just a couple of years. I'm not sure I'd be happy in a place where my neighbors changed every couple of years.

anyone have any insight on this observation?
thanks!
Renee

Moving around was a way of life in Phoenix too, I don't find it any different here in Charlotte. New York is different, most people keep their houses till death and after.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:59 AM

473 posts, read 1,579,703 times
Red face Transient...

Charlotte is very transient, not a lot of natives here.

We follow my husband's construction career, hope to stay in a house long enough to avoid cap gains, that's the goal. We move every 2-3 years, in between states and across state lines. Wherever the work is, wherever we need to go...

We always buy instead of renting first. Renting is such a waste of money, but we've also had very good realtors that actually listen to what we want and help us find it. Not all are that lucky. We don't move for choice because we have to do it for my husband's career. There are always those that the grass is greener and they invest and the reinvest, nothing wrong with that, either...

Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 AM

73 posts, read 437,996 times
Default Capital Gain Rules

Whats the rule on Capital gains? I am moving to your area after lifing in Pa. for the past 4 and a half years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte