Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:41 PM

47 posts, read 188,160 times

Advertisements

Does NC require you to take a written test if you already have a valid driver license in a different state???
Also, up to what cc are you ok on a scooter before requiring a motorcycle license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 09:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,121,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnmouse View Post
Does NC require you to take a written test if you already have a valid driver license in a different state???
Also, up to what cc are you ok on a scooter before requiring a motorcycle license?
Not sure on the scooter question, sorry. But yes you still have to take a written test to get a NC license even if your current one from you old residence is still valid. Do yourself a favor and get a little study guide from them before you try to take the test. There are questions on the test pertaining to NC law and you will most likely fail them if you don't know about them. Many folks from out of state seem to end up having to go back a second time!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,747,915 times
Far as the scooter if it is more than 50 cc it is considered a motorcycle. Driver must be 16 and wear a dot approved helmet. Follow regular traffic laws. and you must be 16 or older.

When studying the written test it would be good to study the signs as well the eye test is on the signs and some of the signs you know what they are for but dont know what the name of that sign is.

A few pointers is go early in the morning and make sure you have proper paperwork. You do not have to get the license in the county you reside I try to go to small town dmv offices that have less of crowd or go early in the morning as soon as they open. The afternoons are insane and you may want to get it before school lets out in the area as well.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,736,221 times
DEFINITELY read the study guide! If I had not studied beforehand, I would have had to be re-tested. The test isn't a "no-brainer"! I overheard an older man telling a woman that it was his FIFTH time taking the test! I spent over two hours waiting to take the test because I showed up mid-morning. It's a good idea to show up before they open to get in line.
Also, be kind to the officers checking your credentials. I heard people coming in with an attitude, and believe me, that doesn't bode well with the officers. (No reason to be rude to them anyway. They're just trying to do their job.) Also, make sure your Social Security card is NOT laminated. I was reprimanded for that one!
One thing that stood out: The people working at the DMV in Monroe were MUCH friendlier than those in any DMV in New Jersey!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 AM

Just wanted to add: when getting your license plates changed, get ready to wait in a VERY LONG line.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,336,326 times
Default NC Driver's License Handbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnmouse View Post
Good info on the NC DOT website. You are also able to download the handbook to study before you go for the test:

NC Drivers License Handbook link:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/

Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 AM

476 posts, read 1,579,877 times
Thanks everyone for this great info. I guess I just took for granted that it would be a breeze after already driving for 20+ years. I am glad for the heads up.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:53 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
DEFINITELY read the study guide! If I had not studied beforehand, I would have had to be re-tested. The test isn't a "no-brainer"! I overheard an older man telling a woman that it was his FIFTH time taking the test! I spent over two hours waiting to take the test because I showed up mid-morning. It's a good idea to show up before they open to get in line.
Also, be kind to the officers checking your credentials. I heard people coming in with an attitude, and believe me, that doesn't bode well with the officers. (No reason to be rude to them anyway. They're just trying to do their job.) Also, make sure your Social Security card is NOT laminated. I was reprimanded for that one!
One thing that stood out: The people working at the DMV in Monroe were MUCH friendlier than those in any DMV in New Jersey!
I had an ec-coworker that laminated her SS Card and her daughters. When her daughter turned 16 she was unable to get her license as the SSCared was laminated. It does say on the back not to laminate. Just thought your post was funny. I am surprised they let you get yours

Old 04-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I had an ec-coworker that laminated her SS Card and her daughters. When her daughter turned 16 she was unable to get her license as the SSCared was laminated. It does say on the back not to laminate. Just thought your post was funny. I am surprised they let you get yours
A little begging and pleading did the trick. And a promise to get a new one and not to laminate it!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:38 AM

473 posts, read 1,583,228 times
Red face Tests...

In addition to taking a written test for your license, there is also a sign test in a viewer. Know your colors/symbols without the words being on them! Also, there is a written motorcycle test if you have an endorsement. I haven't ridden in years but I still like keeping up my class "M"...

I didn't study for either written and did just fine. But I did take a glance at the signs because my husband warned me about them. It really depends on whether you are good with tests or not, and guessing...

Another thing, I went to Mooresville for my license and tags. Although two completely different buildings, nice offices, and just about walk in with nominal wait.

Middle initials can be a problem here. They like to have your middle name on your birth certificate. I've gotten away with telling them that I only had an initial instead of a middle name...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte