Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM

148 posts, read 574,109 times

Advertisements

Pulte Homes just agreed to buy Centex for 1.3 billion dollars. They call it a merger making them the largest home builder company in the US. I'm building in a Centex community that will be rather large but is not nearly complete yet. If pulte takes over and starts building and finishes out the subdivision, are we looking at a mess or are Pulte and Centex comparable in quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 AM

32 posts, read 121,043 times
Very comparable. I wouldn't worry. At least you know they will not be going bankrupt any time in the near future.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,118 times
I'm in the same boat. I'm building a Centex house now and I had the same concerns.

Very true though about the company not going bankrupt now though. That's always a good thing.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM

60 posts, read 157,745 times
I presently live in a Centex subdivision and think that Pulte is on the same level of quality as Centex. Feel neither builder would qualify as high end, but you get a pretty good house for the money with either one.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 AM

211 posts, read 708,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm building a Centex house now and I had the same concerns.

Very true though about the company not going bankrupt now though. That's always a good thing.

Maybe they'll finish the pool sooner

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,118 times
True! Maybe they'll finish the pool.

When I was signing the papers and whatnot for my house, she talked about the pool. She basically said that they were waiting for enough people to build in the neighborhood so that the dues paid for the daily upkeep of the pool. She said that in one of their other neighborhoods, they built the pool prematurely and the dues didn't cover the costs of maintaining it. I don't know what the magic number of houses that have to be built to cover those costs, but hopefully they get there soon.

Perhaps with the merger, they'll just bite the bullet and build it, hoping that the pool with attract more buyers.

It would be nice to have the pool there.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM

May I ask what neighborhood you are building in?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToEscapeTheMadness View Post
Very comparable. I wouldn't worry. At least you know they will not be going bankrupt any time in the near future.
What leads you to this conclusion?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Well, I actually got an email from my sales agent yesterday informing us of the merger. I already knew about it, I got the email after i posted this thread, but in it she states "I want to assure you that there will be absolutely no changes in our commitment to you, both while we construct your home and afterwards. You’ll still have the same industry leading warranty and the same focus on quality that is a hallmark of our homes." I'm glad the warranty will remain the same. I've spoken to some of my soon to be neighbors and they say Centex is very good with honoring warranty requests.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 AM

55 posts, read 87,337 times
Dear jstevens44
I was about to sign a contract to build a home from centex but heard about the take over and was concerned. It was in South Carolina that plus the high rate of unemployment made me think twice. Where in North Carolina is the unemployment at a reasonable level and the population isn't dense. We went to Cary but found the houses are small and expensive. I love Wilminton but people tell me I'm crazy anyone have suggestions I keep going back seeing more and all I get is more questions
I'm from NJ so I'm scared about everything also the waterways are suppose to be polluted someone said where are they and do they affect the fish population. I eat a lot of it. I am looking for a office job or a school nursing job am I just dreaming. Haven't had much luck in either state when I've gone looking and I hate paying for license fees and fingerprinting for each state it comes over 200 dollars then traveling to different areas. I need a large area for my dogs and three bedrooms and perhaps a extra room for a den and laundry. Garage is a must and I have to have a fence over 6ft my dogs are big. People tell me sub divisions are out. Centex had told me when would let me in SC but I pulled out at the last minute when I found people who were looking for work in my field and taking part time retail jobs. Hospitals are great but I'm getting too old. HELP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte