Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times

Advertisements

It is a bluff and scare tactic, and I'm 99.9% certain it'll be worked out within a short time. This isn't the first time there has been a contract expiration with a local (regularly received over rabbit ears) station.

Most of the time the station is asking for a rate increase, which then gets passed on to the customer base, in order to resign.

The cable company's/TWC stance is very specific.. they already pay the station X many dollars for something that can be received into every local home for FREE. If they give an inch, that means EVERY OTHER local station will hold the same demands when their contract expiration comes up.

And for those of you with "rate increases" or high bills... there's always a "retention dept." In every single company. (hint hint) Oh.. and instead of contacting TWC with a chip on the ol' shoulder (*ahem* "do i get a discount since I'm losing channels?!") .... TRY BEING PLEASANT! Its not the CSR's fault that they have to follow the guidelines governed by their corp giant employer (and in today's economy, having a job dictates), they are just doing their job and you are just preaching to the choir. If you take on a nice tone, they will usually bend over backwards to help you.

No matter who you subscribe with... they are always trying to get their share. It does eventually come back around in cost. Unfortunately, for the consumer, it means taking the time to play the game.

Sincerely, your friendly TWC front counter CSR who is just as frustrated as you are but can't voice her opinion while talking to you because it could cost me my job that, unfortunately, isn't a luxury. (actually, I'm not in NC, so you'll never talk to me specifically... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Oh.. and instead of contacting TWC with a chip on the ol' shoulder (*ahem* "do i get a discount since I'm losing channels?!") .... TRY BEING PLEASANT! Its not the CSR's fault that they have to follow the guidelines governed by their corp giant employer (and in today's economy, having a job dictates), they are just doing their job and you are just preaching to the choir. If you take on a nice tone, they will usually bend over backwards to help you.

No matter who you subscribe with... they are always trying to get their share. It does eventually come back around in cost. Unfortunately, for the consumer, it means taking the time to play the game.

Sincerely, your friendly TWC front counter CSR who is just as frustrated as you are but can't voice her opinion while talking to you because it could cost me my job that, unfortunately, isn't a luxury. (actually, I'm not in NC, so you'll never talk to me specifically... )
That's actually good advice for dealing with customer service reps at any company. I've found if you are calm, polite and try to be understanding, most will try and be helpful. If you act like a jerk, they're not going to bother.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM

348 posts, read 846,351 times
This afternoon I was watching Channel 9 (on my basic TW cable service) and an announcement came on that during the contract negotiations Time Warner has decided to drop Channel 9 from their cable lineup, but we can still see Channel 9 on AT&T UVerse and some satellite networks.
So there you have it, it's official.
I think I may have to consider switching to AT&T UVerse, because you know I need me some Channel 9............

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM

99 posts, read 395,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
This afternoon I was watching Channel 9 (on my basic TW cable service) and an announcement came on that during the contract negotiations Time Warner has decided to drop Channel 9 from their cable lineup, but we can still see Channel 9 on AT&T UVerse and some satellite networks.
So there you have it, it's official.
I think I may have to consider switching to AT&T UVerse, because you know I need me some Channel 9............
They've been airing that announcement all week......

Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM

295 posts, read 1,297,597 times
Just like Time Warner is running a crawl on its channel 14 newser that says that WSOC-TV is threatening to pull its channel from Time Warner and that concerned customers should contact WSOC-TV directly.

Its very transparent, but annoying.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I am planning to switch to U Verse anyway. Just hate going thru/ the conversion process. But if TW really does dump WSOC - that will give me a push to quit dragging my feet. Not that I think AT&T is great. I don't. Try dealing with their off-shore customer service. Challenging, to say the least.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
I have a feeling it'll all be worked out in the 11th hour...

Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have a feeling it'll all be worked out in the 11th hour...

They better. My wife won't be able to watch Lost on Wednesday and I have to live with her....

Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
They better. My wife won't be able to watch Lost on Wednesday and I have to live with her....
Your wife and I have a lot in common

Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your wife and I have a lot in common

Then allow me to be the first to send my sympathies to your husband
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: