Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,902,478 times

Advertisements

If you are a health nut and like to get out and hike, you are in a wonderful area. I just got back from Crowder Mountain and really enjoyed hiking. There are so many cool places around. On Lake Norman you have Jetton Park, Blyth Landing and another park which is fabulous and easily accessable from exits 25 and 28 (I-77). If you wish to go on an outing to the Lake Norman State Park you will have a great time as well. If you are not familiar with great hiking trails, go to the NC Wildlife site and find a listing. They abound. Just thought I would share my happiness with having these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,981 times
There are SO many areas to explore! Access to wilderness areas was one of our big reasons for choosing NC, and it's hard to know where to begin! We've been up to the Pisgah area a couple times, but are going to start exploring closer to home also.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,683,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
If you are a health nut and like to get out and hike, you are in a wonderful area. I just got back from Crowder Mountain and really enjoyed hiking. There are so many cool places around. On Lake Norman you have Jetton Park, Blyth Landing and another park which is fabulous and easily accessable from exits 25 and 28 (I-77). If you wish to go on an outing to the Lake Norman State Park you will have a great time as well. If you are not familiar with great hiking trails, go to the NC Wildlife site and find a listing. They abound. Just thought I would share my happiness with having these places.
Thanks for the tip! We will have to check out Crowder Mountain some time soon. We are always looking for new places to hike.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Thanks for the tip! We will have to check out Crowder Mountain some time soon. We are always looking for new places to hike.
It's the closest real hiking (up a mountain) in the Charlotte area You take exit 13 off of I85 south to get there.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 PM

The BEST hiking closest to Charlotte in my book is Stone Mt near Sparta

Check out the pics Sunny posted from his trip there yesterday - the hiking is awesome!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...hoto-tour.html

Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's the closest real hiking (up a mountain) in the Charlotte area You take exit 13 off of I85 south to get there.
Thanks! I'll find it on the map and check into it. Would it be too steep for a 4 and 2 year old, even just to go a little way down the trail? DH and I were backpackers, but the boys are still at the "pick up a rock and throw it in a creek every 10 feet" stage.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Thanks! I'll find it on the map and check into it. Would it be too steep for a 4 and 2 year old, even just to go a little way down the trail? DH and I were backpackers, but the boys are still at the "pick up a rock and throw it in a creek every 10 feet" stage.

There are two areas to drive to that allow you to access Crowders. Here are the directions: ...::: Crowders Mountain State Park Traveler's Companion :::... (http://www.crowdersmountain.com/v1/map.asp - broken link)

With young kids, you'd want to go to Linwood Rd Access area and take the longer trail - there is a shorter one but it is much steeper and gets you to the top in half the time - not good for little ones. The longer one is a wide wooded path with gradual incline. If you did manage to get them to the top that would be the only time you'd have to be very cautious - there are drop-offs and rock scrambling to go further on the trail. However, you can just hike to the top and enjoy the view without going any further - a much safer thing with kids (while still getting the payoff of enjoying the view

Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are two areas to drive to that allow you to access Crowders. Here are the directions: ...::: Crowders Mountain State Park Traveler's Companion :::... (http://www.crowdersmountain.com/v1/map.asp - broken link)

With young kids, you'd want to go to Linwood Rd Access area and take the longer trail - there is a shorter one but it is much steeper and gets you to the top in half the time - not good for little ones. The longer one is a wide wooded path with gradual incline. If you did manage to get them to the top that would be the only time you'd have to be very cautious - there are drop-offs and rock scrambling to go further on the trail. However, you can just hike to the top and enjoy the view without going any further - a much safer thing with kids (while still getting the payoff of enjoying the view
Thanks! Tried to rep both you and Bandi, but I guess you've both given me good advice too recently.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:37 PM

415 posts, read 1,151,278 times
Crowders is very nice, but sometimes it does earn its nickname "Crowded Mountain". You can also park at the main parking lot and hike up to King's Pinnacle, which also has awesome views but is far less crowded (again, not the best for small kids).

I also like parking at the main lot and hiking the Backside trail up to the top of Crowders. A good 5 miler round trip.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,628,544 times
If you like to hike and want to do so with others, there is a Waxhaw hiking group on Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com. They usually meet at Stonecrest and go to different mountains for hiking. Here is a link to the group: The Waxhaw Hiking Meetup Group (Waxhaw, NC) - Meetup.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte