Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Ok...here is the Realtor's perspective. Prices always have to do with "supply and demand". So...if a builder is offering "incentives", his sales have slowed down a bit. Maybe they had projected 10 sales for the month and they only had 8. So...offer an incentive or give some free options and sales go up. Then...when sales are good...they will raise prices on the new homes for every 5 they sell. New homes usually outsell older homes because we have so many new neighborhoods and buyers get a great selection. If you buy in a new neighborhood, I always check and find out how long before the neighborhood will be complete because you don't want to sell while the building is still going on because your competition will be the new homes. Does this make sense? I try to educate my buyers so they don't have any surprises along the way. Vicki
makes perfect sense. When I signed my contract it was March 1, my sense it was slower then (winter and all, although Charlotte had like 5 days in the last week of feb. that were in the high 60s and low 70s!).

So in your professional is the Charlotte market not following the national home sales slow down? Still seems that it's moving at a good clip to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 09:53 AM

483 posts, read 1,568,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
So in your professional is the Charlotte market not following the national home sales slow down? Still seems that it's moving at a good clip to me.
I think it is and it also depends on the other factors as well....the reputation of the builder, the area of the subdivision, the size of the home versus the price (getting more for your money), and the location of the actual lot. My builder, John Wieland in Charlotte is selling more new homes than they can build; they're constantly building based on supply and demand. But his community also has a few inventory homes that have been around for some time, mainly due to the location of the actual lot. From the research I have done, it doesn't seem that the market will slow, especially if everyone keeps moving down there. I have also seen many resales on the market for some time and unfortunately they are competing with the new homes.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM

112 posts, read 364,808 times
How is the SW area (Steele Creek) overall? My wife and I have been looking at a subdivision called Berewick but the builder we're interested in, Shea Homes, has been pretty slow at opening lots. Any info on this subdivision in particular would be nice.

Semi-related - Is it really much cheaper for everything - insurance (both home and car), income taxes, property taxes - like I've read some places or is it a wash? Schools better in Ft. Mill? No kids yet, but we're planning.

Thx!

Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,751 times
Two homes on my street have sold instantly, here in Union County. One sold in a day, the other in about weeks. We are seeing big jumps in prices, roughly.
I bought my house new, 6 years ago. The price was $85.25 per square foot, and now I figure that based on my neighbor's prices, I would be able to sell at $121.85 a square foot.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:31 PM

112 posts, read 364,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
Two homes on my street have sold instantly, here in Union County. One sold in a day, the other in about weeks. We are seeing big jumps in prices, roughly.
I bought my house new, 6 years ago. The price was $85.25 per square foot, and now I figure that based on my neighbor's prices, I would be able to sell at $121.85 a square foot.
For reference, my house in FL is under contract for roughly $145/sq foot. We have another waterfront house we're moving into and it's "worth" probably $250/sq ft. if we sold today. Charlotte still sounds reasonable to me!

Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,751 times
I agree, it is an affordable area compared to many parts of the country. The prices are rising, and I think will continue to do so.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
Well that's pretty good and I think about what most web-sites are reporting in terms of home sale value increases. Seems like you've got a nice ~7%/year increase. That's really good. It beats bubble increases of like 20%-30%...

Old 06-22-2006, 04:32 PM

291 posts, read 1,783,011 times
Yikes! My house in Connecticut would sell at $323 per square foot! North Carolina sounds great to me!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,834,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel
Yikes! My house in Connecticut would sell at $323 per square foot! North Carolina sounds great to me!
Ours here in So Cal $400 per sq ft!

Old 08-25-2006, 02:34 AM

124 posts, read 522,200 times
sold ours last year in norcal $466/sq ft. and still had a 50 minute commute to work. ridiculous. I think Charlotte is fine for home sales I would expect a steady increase in the 7-10% range as it is seeing a lot of growth right now. per square foot price is still on par with the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte