Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,346 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I just ran across this forum and thought it was the perfect place to get the 'locals' opinions. Ya’ll can be my eyes!! I am an engineer and have been working in the automotive industry the past 3 years. I recently took a buy-out package, so I am on the job market again. I am originally from the south, so I decided this was a perfect time to return to warmer weather. I've been to the Charlotte a few times and absolutely fell in LOVE with the area! I've been job searching for the last couple months in the Charlotte area (and in general North/South Carolina area), and I haven't had much luck. I know its a crappy time of year, as well as being between the 4th quarter and 1st of the year where all the businesses are trying to figure out what they are gonna do, BUT...

I was wondering, does anybody have any suggestions for companies to look into in the Charlotte area that are currently hiring? I have a B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and I have 3 yrs of 'real world experience', and I’m open to any industries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 AM

28,338 posts, read 16,473,078 times
Is the BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC hiring, by chance?

Unemployment is pretty high in Charlotte, at the moment. Higher than the national average...

Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,246,377 times
I am also a former auto-industry engineer with a master's degree. I moved to Charlotte about 2 years ago.

There are not as many engineering jobs in this area as one would think given its size. Several major employers in the Charlotte metro area have been laying off office staff, including engineers. Two good buddies of mine (and great engineers) were laid off just last week!

I'd probably look closer at the Raleigh area for engineering opportunities in NC at the moment.

If you want to move south but are open to other locations, try Bluebird Bus in Macon, Georgia or International Truck in Huntsville, Alabama. They've had a lot of openings over the years and I've received dozens of calls from them over the years.

EDIT: I forgot to congratulate you on your education! Excellent work! It is great that you have met the proverbial "3 to 5 years experience." That will greatly aid your job search. Just keep an open mind and remember: this is a big, beautiful country with many great places to live. Some great opportunities can be found in the Southwest. I considered it before I came down here and would still like to give it a shot someday. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:31 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,083,589 times
At one point, the research campus in Kannapolis was doing a bidding war for engineers. Now, that was months ago, and I am sure that they have reached their quota, but, that might be a place to look.

Unfortunately, things are not great here, employment-wise as another poster stated. so, good luck! (and make sure that you have a job before you come!)

Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,564,224 times
99% of the time, when someone doesn't list the name of the company, require a sign up and watch a video- it's almost always network marketing (amway,acn, etc.). No problems with Network Marketing as I know a few people who made a lot, but I wish the network markets would just say so in the beginning.

Anyway...to the OP, check out Westinghouse, I think they are hiring MEs, EEs, etc. I was talking to a buddy who is also an ME who had an interview there.

Good luck!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-21-2009 at 04:43 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,481,752 times
The big power plant companies are supposedly gobbling up mechanicals right now for new power plants. Check out GE, Siemens, etc...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM

72 posts, read 211,134 times
OR Duke power. Just dont take my job!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 AM

380 posts, read 1,760,825 times
Duke Power and Shaw Power and Areva

Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,462 times
I'm in the same boat. 23 years in quality, BS ME, EIT, MBA, supervisor experience, saved companies over $19M. Can't even get a company to let me do a six sigma project while I look for a job.

Applied to GE, Siemens, Duke, Shaw, and Areva. Can't even get to speak to Quality Depts, Engineering Dept, or HR. I've lived in the area over 10 yrs.

Suggestions?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,343,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadsvc View Post
Applied to GE, Siemens, Duke, Shaw, and Areva. Can't even get to speak to Quality Depts, Engineering Dept, or HR. I've lived in the area over 10 yrs.

Suggestions?
You seem extremely competent and qualified for many things.

You have been here for over 10 years, how is your network?
Nothing is more valuable than your network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: