Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 PM

34 posts, read 99,477 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are thinking about relocating to the Charlotte area from Colorado, and have seemed to narrow our search to the Union County area. With my husband being in the construction field (mostly residential), I am wondering if this would be a good fit. We would like to be in the area where he would most likely be working most often to lessen commute times. It seems to me that the South Charlotte area has alot of new construction, and that it would be the best location for us to settle down.

Am I right in assuming this?

Thanks for your help! You guys are great!

Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSch View Post
Hi! We are thinking about relocating to the Charlotte area from Colorado, and have seemed to narrow our search to the Union County area. With my husband being in the construction field (mostly residential), I am wondering if this would be a good fit. We would like to be in the area where he would most likely be working most often to lessen commute times. It seems to me that the South Charlotte area has alot of new construction, and that it would be the best location for us to settle down.

Terri

North or south, take your pick - they are both growing like crazy. He should look for a job first and then based on where that job will be centered around you then look for a place to live. Best of luck in that!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
I believe Union County has been cited as the fastest growing county in the area. Though there is a lot of construction going on all around the Charlotte area.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM

116 posts, read 422,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
I believe Union County has been cited as the fastest growing county in the area. Though there is a lot of construction going on all around the Charlotte area.
You have to keep that in perspective. Though Union County may have the highest of growth compared to other counties, that doesn't mean that the portions of the county that are seeing growth are growing as fast as the part of Mecklenburg that are seeing the most growth, which I think is probably the north. In other words, if there are 100,000 people in Union County and 30,000 move there, that's a 30% growth rate. But if the same number of people (30,000) also move to north Mecklenburg, because Mecklenburg already has some 700,000 people, that represents only about 4% of the growth of Mecklenburg County. So Union may have more growth as north Meck, or it could be the same or less. Either way, both areas are great for someone who's in construction.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Great!

Thanks for everyones input. I guess the best thing to do is just live where we want to live!lol! If it is anything like here, the companies usually try to keep their employees to their own areas of town as much as possible. And I am really drawn to Brandon Oaks/Indian Trail for some reason....as it seems alot of people are.

Has anyone heard of Decor Corp? Or Georgia flooring? I have been trying to do a bit of research for my hubby on flooring companies, and those two seem to be pretty big. They are both in the South area...Westinghouse Blvd.

This sure is a great group of people. I am really looking forward to coming out to check the place out!

Thanks again!

Terri

Old 03-08-2007, 04:32 PM

36 posts, read 163,214 times
Hey Terri. Where in Colorado are you moving from? My family & I are also from Colorado, Grand Junction to be exact, and are getting ready to move to Charlotte. We really like the Union County area and are considering some homes in Brandon Oaks as well. Small world I guess.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikefun View Post
Hey Terri. Where in Colorado are you moving from? My family & I are also from Colorado, Grand Junction to be exact, and are getting ready to move to Charlotte. We really like the Union County area and are considering some homes in Brandon Oaks as well. Small world I guess.

Hi Soundslikefun! We are in the SE Aurora/Centennial area. I have lived here since 1978, and hubby is a native. He is very nervous about the whole thing, since he has never lived anywhere else. It helps that I found someone else in the flooring business (just today actually) in Charlotte to talk with, they said it is super easy to find work out there. Once I told him that, he actually perked up quite a bit. I guess it is the whole unsureity of it all that is scary to him. But I told him, worse comes to worse-we move back! Right!

Brandon Oaks sounds amazing! We don't have many areas around here that have those sort of amenities...especially not in that price range!

We have not even been to Charlotte yet, but from all the research I have done, it seems like a beautiful place. The humidity will be something to get used to, after living in ARID 'ol COLORADO! We are excited to come check it out ASAP.

When are you moving?

Terri

Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Interstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSch View Post

Terri
If he has to travel for work, I'd recommend being close to one of the major interstates. North of Charlotte is Huntersville. There's a lot of building going on here and further north or to the east. I think it's better to find a job first to decide on where you are going to live...

Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 PM

9 posts, read 23,891 times
I agree with NikNaxx. Be careful about concentrating on just one area. Had a friend who just moved from S. Charlotte to Union County and has been shocked by the number of times she is now filling her tank per week as well as higher utilities. It may all even out in the end, so pick the place that you must enjoy!

Good luck, and welcome to Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte