Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone im a family man, homedepot employee and am looking to relocate to nc, was looking at mooresville area seems very nice and ive heard the schools are great..shopping is no problem but im still not sure its the right place i hear people talking about hickory area ,what areas are the nicest anyone know!!!! is there areas like mooresville to the west and to the south of charlotte where you will find nice people,, work ,,great schools,, shopping and affordable houses in newer developments..See i have had people tell me look into shelby, look into union county indian trails, told huntersville and lincolnton county thats alot of confusion because i was never told what areas to look in or what town would be best for raising kids, near shopping ,good schools at reasonable prices between 160s -200k..id probably still stuggle to afford that on hd salary so i might have to housepaint on the side once and awhile.but its worth stuggling if you could give the best possible life for your family in the best possilble neiborhood with the better known schools ...so please help me out on other areas that would be great towns to look into thanks so much for your help and your patience reading this long post ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,105,887 times
I would recommend Cabarrus county, Concord or Kannapolis, both are nice and you can alot of house for your money.

Good Luck

Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosekm View Post
Hello everyone im a family man, homedepot employee and am looking to relocate to nc, was looking at mooresville area seems very nice and ive heard the schools are great..shopping is no problem but im still not sure its the right place i hear people talking about hickory area ,what areas are the nicest anyone know!!!! is there areas like mooresville to the west and to the south of charlotte where you will find nice people,, work ,,great schools,, shopping and affordable houses in newer developments..See i have had people tell me look into shelby, look into union county indian trails, told huntersville and lincolnton county thats alot of confusion because i was never told what areas to look in or what town would be best for raising kids, near shopping ,good schools at reasonable prices between 160s -200k..id probably still stuggle to afford that on hd salary so i might have to housepaint on the side once and awhile.but its worth stuggling if you could give the best possible life for your family in the best possilble neiborhood with the better known schools ...so please help me out on other areas that would be great towns to look into thanks so much for your help and your patience reading this long post ..
WEll, right off the bat take Shelby off your list. Schools aren't that great and there is a criminal element you don't want your kids in school around.

Huntersville would fit your price range, but the schools are pretty overcrowded - though a new high school will be opening next year.

I like Lincolnton, but be sure you want to live a more rural lifestyle.

I like Mooresville a lot too, very nice place to raise a family. But I'm not sure you can still get a home under $175,000. That area is growing leaps and bounds.

But the fastest growing area is Union county. Schools there are better than most other areas, though Charlotte itself has some good schools. In your price range you could live in several different areas in Union county - but - your money would go further (more house) in other areas.

Hickory is a nice little city. Don't know about the schools. But housing here would be most affordable of all the others listed. Near Hickory is a great little town called Taylorsville you should check out.

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,804 times
Of Lincolnton, Mooresville or Union Counties, the only one I'm familiar with is Union. The schools seem very satisfactory and home prices are reasonable. If you'd like to look around at homes you can go to my website, found under my profile, and compare. You can get info on Union Co schools there as well.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 25,767 times
Do you know where you are going to work, or is Home Depot flexible with where you request?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM

9 posts, read 23,910 times
South Charlotte/Matthews area is very nice. Downtown Matthews is charming and the city of Matthews sponsors events in the local Stumptown Park all summer where families can bring picnics and blankets and watch movies and music. The schools are excellent as well. If you move into S. Charlotte area near Matthews, you get McKee Elementary, JM Robinson and Providence High School. Houses are very reasonably priced in comparison to other areas closer to Ballantyne (which is about 10 minutes away), and most have nice yards.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,910,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I would recommend Cabarrus county, Concord or Kannapolis, both are nice and you can alot of house for your money.

Good Luck
In the Charlotte area, I second aardvarks. Cabarrus has great schools, good parks, very convenient to Charlotte. You'd be able to get a good home in that price range. Another good suggestion would be the either Clover or Mt. Pleasant. Both are in the metro, but more rual and has great schools. My brother and his family live in the Clover/Lake Wylie are and LOVE it!

If you want a really nice small metro area, Hickory would be an excellent choice. It's an hour NW of Charlotte. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte