Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,087,011 times

Advertisements

On WBTV news, also there is a link and video on the website, stated that beginning May 2007 Gold Hill Elementary will not be accepting any new students due to the school being beyond capacity. New students will have to go to Riverview Elementary instead. School officials stated that Riverview Elementary has 640 students out of a 900 capacity. It is unknown where any new students will go after that school is filled.

Officials also state that a new elementary school will not open until 2009, and by then they say they will need 2 more additional schools.

**I know Ft Mill is over the state line in SC, but felt it was important to post in the Charlotte forum due to many commuting from Charlotte and Ft Mill**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,037,974 times
Default wow

That sucks for people that bought in Ft mill to send their kids to those schools!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
That sucks for people that bought in Ft mill to send their kids to those schools!
But to be fair, they've had lots of warning this was coming for months now.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 PM

More than likely, news like this does not discourage anyone. If there was a news story about a 24 hr back up of people trying to get into the Carolinas, they would still come. But I post things like this so people will realize the enormous infrastructure strain the increasing population is having. Until word gets out that there are actually places to live outside of Charlotte metro, it will continue.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:11 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,218,920 times
Default The Sky is Not Falling in Fort Mill!

Geez...I go away for a little bit and look what happens!

First off...yes, as of the next school year there will be a freeze on new enrollment at Gold Hill Elementary (and as lovesmoutains has stated this has been talked about for some time). This is not the first time we have had a freeze at Gold Hill (there was another many years ago...until the school was added on to).

Currently there is an enrollment freeze at Orchard Park Elementary and more than likely it will continue through next year as well (although they are waiting to see if there will be any adjustments with the count...and if any children could be added to....how they would consider doing it?)

Okay with that said we have 3 other elementary schools (Riverview - Fort Mill - and Springfield Elementary) within the district that are Not over capacity. Another thing to realize is...the elementary schools have Not used mobile classrooms..but that now is being taken into consideration (from what I understand though...they do not have room for mobile units at Orchard).

Now in regard to middle schools...none are at capacity (there are 3 now - as a new middle school was added last year)

We currently have 1 High School that is bursting at the seams (they do have some mobile units at the high school). But a brand spanking new high school is set to open at the start of the new school season.

So while the school is growing by leaps and bounds...the biggest concerns currently are at the elementary school level. While not a perfect situation/solution.. having children rerouted to another school...the child will still be within the Fort Mill School District (and for any of you folks that have never been to Fort Mill...we aren't all that big in size).

For me...what I think is possibly a far bigger concern...is the lowering of our (school) taxes...I believe this will attract even more people to the SC area...and then when that happens...what becomes of the schools when they no longer have the monies that they had access to before? (that is what I am keeping my eye on).

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/local/story/6403981p-5710516c.html (broken link) (there is another more current article..that will more than likely be avail online tomorrow)

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/Schools/Schools.htm

Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 AM

473 posts, read 1,579,779 times
Red face Schools?

As far as growth areas, what schools aren't bursting at the seems? It's everywhere and we experienced it in FL. We have a school assignment that isn't the best here in Huntersville, but with growth it probably will change as another school gets added. It's the same problems everywhere that's growing...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:55 AM

390 posts, read 1,516,564 times
Default York County school bonds

Won't the proposed York County school bonds more than offset the removal of the school tax? Or am I not understanding clearly? (Admittedly, I haven't done research beyond hearing a few snippets on the news.) It sounded like they were just shifting what KIND of tax goes to the schools, and the ultimate outlay would increase per household.

Doesn't bother me, I'm more than happy to pay school taxes as long as you can see the money being spent wisely.

We're signing our lease on Wednesday - just for the purpose of becoming legal residents of Fort Mill so the kids can go to Gold Hill! We'll be full time down there at the end of the month. I CAN'T WAIT for the shorter commute!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
As far as growth areas, what schools aren't bursting at the seems? It's everywhere and we experienced it in FL. We have a school assignment that isn't the best here in Huntersville, but with growth it probably will change as another school gets added. It's the same problems everywhere that's growing...
Read my original post again. No new additional schools until 2009. And by then the school system says it will need 2 more schools. Its actually not the same everywhere, there is truly no where to send the extra students...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte