Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Downtown is and always has been downtown - nomatter what you youngsters want to call it!

I live in the 'burbs' in the Myers Park high school district. Before I moved here - I lived in Dilworth. I loved my house in Dilworth but didn't like the constant foot traffic in front of my house. I also got twice the space (GLA) for about the same cost by moving to the 'burbs'. It really depends on what appeals most to you.
Just curious, what do you mean by constant foot traffic? It sounds like this is a negative in your mind? Is this people out walking, jogging, walking dogs/kids, or foot traffic of a different kind? From what I've seen in Dilworth, there is a lot of foot traffic, but it's the kind I want - people who are out and about, rather than driving into their garages and hiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
I would have jumped at the chance to live Uptown with our two small children, had money been no object. I'm not sure about the K-8 situation, but Myers Park HS is an excellent school.
To the OP, the earlier advice to come and walk around for yourself is very important. If you do your research and feel comfortable with it, go for it!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Stlterp - Loved my neighbors and most of the people walking/jogging past. But I had too many negative occasions to want to raise my child there. One day came home to find a guy on my roof cleaning the gutters...he said my husband told him to clean out the gutters and said I would pay him... came to find out he had done this at numerous houses in the area (no.... I didn't pay!) Had my house broken into twice. Got asked for money, cigarettes, etc. just a few too many times. As I said - it is a personal preference. I loved my house and my neighbors and the convenience but overall, I like where I am now better - still have great neighbors, about 1 mile from Southpark and I don't work downtown so that is not an issue for me.

BTW - Charlotte was 'downtown' when I was born here in the 1950's and it was 'downtown' when my parents were born here in the 1920's.. only the newbies call it uptown....

Old 12-29-2008, 06:57 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Quote:
Stlterp - Loved my neighbors and most of the people walking/jogging past. But I had too many negative occasions to want to raise my child there. One day came home to find a guy on my roof cleaning the gutters...he said my husband told him to clean out the gutters and said I would pay him... came to find out he had done this at numerous houses in the area (no.... I didn't pay!) Had my house broken into twice. Got asked for money, cigarettes, etc. just a few too many times. As I said - it is a personal preference. I loved my house and my neighbors and the convenience but overall, I like where I am now better - still have great neighbors, about 1 mile from Southpark and I don't work downtown so that is not an issue for me.

BTW - Charlotte was 'downtown' when I was born here in the 1950's and it was 'downtown' when my parents were born here in the 1920's.. only the newbies call it uptown....
I just get irritated seeing people in my peripheral vision all the time.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
Quote:

Interesting...haven't seen anything like you've described, but have read about some 'shady' characters on the Dilworth message board claiming to perform odd jobs, and am not surprised. Moved from a much more urban neighborhood in St. Louis bordered on one side by housing projects, so Dilworth seems very tranquil to me. People don't put clubs on their cars, expensive porch furniture, strollers etc are in plane view - of course, these are invitations for trouble...

Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 PM

62 posts, read 138,445 times
Thanks for all the info! I have been reading about the water park and would love to walk there! It's nice to know more about the wards. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:

Since it was changed to "Uptown" in the 1980's (20 some years ago)...I would not say that it is newbies. Some people just resist change.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 12-30-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Since it was changed to "Uptown" in the 1980's (20 some years ago)...I would not say that it is newbies. Some people just resist change.
Yeah, I think the Downtown of 1950 and the Uptown of 2008 are two totally different places.

I actually like the phrase "Uptown", it's brought new attitude with all the new development.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Yeah, I think the Downtown of 1950 and the Uptown of 2008 are two totally different places.

I actually like the phrase "Uptown", it's brought new attitude with all the new development.
THANK YOU! It has been called Uptown for over 20 years now. Downtown Charlotte back in the 1980's was dirty, crime ridden and nothing was there and you would only go there to work...there is a NEW center of Charlotte and it is totally different and is called "Uptown"...a much better name & place than boring old downtown.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM

62 posts, read 138,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikare View Post
Hi!

I just found out my husband is relocating us from Las Vegas to Charlotte. We've been to Charlotte and love uptown. Are there any young families that live in uptown? What about the elementary schools there? Thanks for any input!
Just an update: we ended up moving to Candlewyck and I absolutely love it here! They have an awesome pool and I can walk to Food Lion! The people here are very nice and welcoming too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte