Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikare View Post
What I'm looking for is living close to things within walking distance that are not really high priced. I liked uptown (probably 1st ward) because it had an old walgreens (I think it was that). I know lot's of the artsy areas in other cities have the higher priced shops / restraunts, is that true in Dilworth?
Dilworth has a whole mix of shops and restaurants. We live closer to the South End part of Dilworth, but can easily walk to Mr. K's, Fuel Pizza, Thai Taste, Owen's Bagels, among others...not to mention 300 East, Copper, etc for more expensive places. We also walk to Bruegger's/Caribou, the Harris Teeter on East, etc. Why live in a walkable neighborhood if you're not going to walk places, right?

Housing prices have certainly come down a bit. You're not going to find anything decent for under $600K on one of the Dilworth Roads or along Latta Park, but there are certainly places on Tremont, Worthington, McDonald, Cumberland, etc in that range and under. And outside of the historic district, a lot of people who built tear downs are really hurting and needing to sell ASAP (some built in 2007 have never been occupied)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,358 times
People move to the suburbs when they have kids for these main reasons (top schools, more house for your money, and close to all the shopping).

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
No, you're not crazy. If you like uptown I'd inform my realtor. They can help you research schools, amenities, needs, prices, etc.

I mention it all the time, and this is as good a place as any: There's a lot of well-intentioned advisors on this board... very few of them live in the city proper. Do your own research, visit areas on weekends and evenings, talk to mothers with strollers... you will get better reports of "on-the-ground" conditions than from this forum where people are scared to live anywhere but in a suburb.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,050 times
Fair enough. Yes, the wards are by definition Uptown. I just think of something more urban than 4th ward when people use the word "Uptown". i.e. fewer single family homes/townhomes and more high rise condos.

BTW how many of you have lived in CLT long enough to remember the push to rename the downtown area "Uptown"?

Last edited by Palmetto Heel; 12-29-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
People move to the suburbs when they have kids for these main reasons (top schools, more house for your money, and close to all the shopping).
More house for your money perhaps, but at least in Charlotte, you can have top schools and proximity to shopping living in Dilworth, MP, Elizabeth, etc. They are more "suburban" feeling that most people would define city living, but from a location perspective, they're all very close to Uptown.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
Top schools? Myers Park High will rival ANY school in the burbs. Uptown is zoned for Myers Park. Bet the home values in Uptown appreciate more & faster than the burbs too (except recently where everywhere is down).

Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Fair enough. Yes, the wards are by definition Uptown. I just think of something more urban than 4th ward when people use the word "Uptown". i.e. fewer single family homes/townhomes and more high rise condos.

BTW how many of you have lived in CLT long enough to remember the push to rename the downtown area "Uptown"?
Hasn't been called "downtown" since the late 1980's. Now they are trying to change the name again...now to "Center City". Why can't they leave well enough alone.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,568,640 times
Downtown is and always has been downtown - nomatter what you youngsters want to call it!

I live in the 'burbs' in the Myers Park high school district. Before I moved here - I lived in Dilworth. I loved my house in Dilworth but didn't like the constant foot traffic in front of my house. I also got twice the space (GLA) for about the same cost by moving to the 'burbs'. It really depends on what appeals most to you.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM

The improper & incorrect word is downtown. I moved to Charlotte in 1991 and it was called Uptown then. All the signs entering Uptown say "Welcome to Uptown Charlotte".

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 12-29-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I loved my house in Dilworth but didn't like the constant foot traffic in front of my house. I also got twice the space (GLA) for about the same cost by moving to the 'burbs'.
I feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte