Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 24,422 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate from nursing school, and am applying for a job at Levine Children's Hospital. I have been reading these threads, but am still wondering where are good places to live. My current commute is 30 minutes, so I would be willing to live outside of Charlotte in one of the small towns around it. If anyone could give my some ideas I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine-RN View Post
I am about to graduate from nursing school, and am applying for a job at Levine Children's Hospital. I have been reading these threads, but am still wondering where are good places to live. My current commute is 30 minutes, so I would be willing to live outside of Charlotte in one of the small towns around it. If anyone could give my some ideas I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!
Katherine, I guess we are confused by your post. Where are you currently living? There are many places INSIDE of Charlotte that still take longer than 30 minutes to commute uptown in rush hour, so I'm not sure you really want to go outside of Charlotte? Also, do you want to rent a home or an apartment? What is your price range? If you can give us more info we can better help you

Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,692 times
A good friend of mine works at Levine and has been employed at CMC Main for 10 years now.

We used to live together in Ballantyne and she made it to work everyday in 30 minutes flat. I couldn't believe it but she took Park Rd. the entire way to work. She would leave around 7:00AM and make it there by 7:30AM no problem.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 24,422 times
I live in Proctorville OH (Southern OH/WV) I just meant to say that I don't have to live super close to the hospital and since I am used to driving at least 30 minutes to get to the grocery store, I don't mind a commute. I'm looking to rent an apartment for around 700/month. That is just a rough estimate. Of, course I want a safe area. But, as a nurse working nights, I don't think I would hit rush hour traffic at 7pm or 7am.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
A good friend of mine works at Levine and has been employed at CMC Main for 10 years now.

We used to live together in Ballantyne and she made it to work everyday in 30 minutes flat. I couldn't believe it but she took Park Rd. the entire way to work. She would leave around 7:00AM and make it there by 7:30AM no problem.
Would love for you to give her a call and let us know if that 30 minute commute is still possible I just don't think you can do that distance on Park Rd in 30 minutes these days AT THAT TIME OF DAY, but I would love to be wrong!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine-RN View Post
I live in Proctorville OH (Southern OH/WV) I just meant to say that I don't have to live super close to the hospital and since I am used to driving at least 30 minutes to get to the grocery store, I don't mind a commute. I'm looking to rent an apartment for around 700/month. That is just a rough estimate. Of, course I want a safe area. But, as a nurse working nights, I don't think I would hit rush hour traffic at 7pm or 7am.
Thanks for clarifying things Katherine You will love working at Levine Children's Hospital, I'm sure. When you look online for apartments look for places in the area called "South Park" - that is a nice area convenient to everything you need, including a great commute to the hospital. Check places like Craigslist too. But do come back here when you've found specifc places you are interested in so we can tell you what, if anything, we know about them. Some places advertize themselves as "south Charlotte", which is a desirable area, when in reality they are not exactly in south Charlotte.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Would love for you to give her a call and let us know if that 30 minute commute is still possible I just don't think you can do that distance on Park Rd in 30 minutes these days AT THAT TIME OF DAY, but I would love to be wrong!

Yes, she still does it everyday Monday-Friday.

30 minutes. I tried it one day as I had a meeting around the same time off Morehead and took her route. 30 minutes couldn't believe it with all the lights! She has left a few times late around 7:15-7:30 and it took 40 minutes instead.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Yes, she still does it everyday Monday-Friday.

30 minutes. I tried it one day as I had a meeting around the same time off Morehead and took her route. 30 minutes couldn't believe it with all the lights! She has left a few times late around 7:15-7:30 and it took 40 minutes instead.
Maybe the light rail has "lightened" traffic along Park Rd

Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe the light rail has "lightened" traffic along Park Rd

Great point!

As always

Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,384 times
My daughter has spent more time than I care to remember at Levine, and the commute from our house in Indian Trail is just over 30 min, non rush hour. Mint Hill or Matthews would get you there in about 30 min for your typical 7-7 shift.
BTW, almost all of the nurses we encountered there (plenty) have been wondeful, it seems like a good place to work, they seemed to get along with each other well and enjoy their work. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte