Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 AM

1,908 posts, read 5,003,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I never said I shouldn't pay property taxes, just that I never benefitted from them. I know it's crazy to think that the city might use property tax dollars to pay for good roads, good schools or actual police protection.

BTW, I have three children. I would just never have sent my children to my local schools in Charlotte. We moved because the children's tuition kept increasing and we just couldn't swing it anymore. One by one I watched my neighbors move away as their children reached school age, so I was not alone in my assessment of our schools. I honestly can think of only one family left in Mecklenburg county that attended preschool with my children - the rest moved to Ft. Mill or Union county.

I was in Charlotte the other night, and after I spent over an hour on Providence Road going from Sardis Road to the Arboretum, I thought, "Nope. I don't miss this."

I post in this forum to give people a realistic view of life in Charlotte. I can't help it that my experience wasn't good regarding the way the city or school systems are run.
Where did you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:53 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,528,286 times
Quote:
...I would just never have sent my children to my local schools in Charlotte. We moved because the children's tuition kept increasing and we just couldn't swing it anymore. One by one I watched my neighbors move away as their children reached school age, so I was not alone in my assessment of our schools. I honestly can think of only one family left in Mecklenburg county that attended preschool with my children - the rest moved to Ft. Mill or Union county...
So, you just moved to the wrong part of the Charlotte-metro area, then?

The problem with Charlotte public schools appears to be due to overcrowding as a result of not keeping up with Charlotte's growth, as opposed to just bad teachers/bad administration.

That's the downside of Charlotte's popularity and growth, but folks want the growth to continue, so...

Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,162,497 times
Quote:
I never said I shouldn't pay property taxes, just that I never benefitted from them. I know it's crazy to think that the city might use property tax dollars to pay for good roads, good schools or actual police protection.

BTW, I have three children. I would just never have sent my children to my local schools in Charlotte. We moved because the children's tuition kept increasing and we just couldn't swing it anymore. One by one I watched my neighbors move away as their children reached school age, so I was not alone in my assessment of our schools. I honestly can think of only one family left in Mecklenburg county that attended preschool with my children - the rest moved to Ft. Mill or Union county.

I was in Charlotte the other night, and after I spent over an hour on Providence Road going from Sardis Road to the Arboretum, I thought, "Nope. I don't miss this."

I post in this forum to give people a realistic view of life in Charlotte. I can't help it that my experience wasn't good regarding the way the city or school systems are run.

I just don't get how someone who would "NEVER" have sent their kids to Char/Meck schools thinks they have a "realistic view" of them and the nerve to act like they do???

Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 AM

1,908 posts, read 5,003,245 times
Quote:

Why would you and so many of your neighbors buy homes in an area where you wouldn't send your kids to school?? We based our housing decision on 3 things.....schools, schools, and schools. You set yourself up for failure and it worked. Now we have to keep hearing about your discontent. I, for one, am a little tired of it.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
I am one who has helped with the petition to delay Annexation. I think we all knew it would happen sooner or later. The current economic times prompted us to ask for it to be delayed until the next 2 year cycle. After reading these posts I am much more in favor of the annexation than before. Thanks to all for sharing different views on a very challenging subject.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,490,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulbones View Post
I am one who has helped with the petition to delay Annexation. I think we all knew it would happen sooner or later. The current economic times prompted us to ask for it to be delayed until the next 2 year cycle. After reading these posts I am much more in favor of the annexation than before. Thanks to all for sharing different views on a very challenging subject.
WOW! So, you mean us "sharing" our opinions on an anonymous internet discussion forum actually did some sort of good??? This is an internets first! Someone call Al Gore and tell him his interweb has finally paid off!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM

45 posts, read 108,792 times
An interesting article:

State-of-the-art Charlotte fire station built outside city limits | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-111008-mw-fire_investigation.19db5734b.html - broken link)

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,284,240 times
Since Charlotte annexed Stowe Creek and other areas along Shopton Road West (not "Shopton Road" as in the story) and Sledge Road, the city is obligated to build a fire station in the area so they'll be able to provide service with a quick response time. It just so happened that they received a donation of (very expensive prime lakefront) land that was outside the city limits. The station is still within range of nearby residences and businesses within the city limits that cannot be serviced quickly from other fire stations.

The boat house also will house a boat for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department's Lake Wylie unit. The Police Department serves both incorporated and unincorporated areas.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,490,410 times
Idiots. Nothing better to report on than a fire station outside of a squiggly crayon line on a map--which, by the way, has been under construction for over a year.

It's trash reporting like this that keeps me from watching the news at all. Especially with a name like "Rad Berky." I mean, come on...that's funnier than Married With Children's "Miranda Veracruz de la Hoya Cardinal."

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,840,979 times
There are gonna be more and more places annexed all over the region, b/c the infrastructure improvements (and, indeed, maintenance) will require more tax $$$.

If the growth had not taken place, there would be no need for the annexations. Being a native, I know this is how things work, not just here in CLT but all over the state. The city has to keep up w/ the strain on infrastructure and taxes mean the ability to do that.

Having grown up here, I just assumed this would occur all over the periphery of the metro area. I didn't realize other states/municipalities didn't do the same thing (sorry - I thought I was fairly sophisticated about city planning but evidently other states do not do this . . . ????)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte