Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,032,811 times

Advertisements

I know where I am in Steele Creek that we are going to get annexed was expecting it to be at the same time as Berwick, but we escaped for another 2 years, earliest is now June 2011, with what I am paying for trash pick I think it works out to approx $250 more a year.
Not concerned I already pay my escrow as if I was being taxed by Charlotte so it's not a shock when it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 AM

45 posts, read 108,463 times
Default I don't NEED Chalotte PD in Berewick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post

On one hand, it's a good thing. It prevent huge gaps or jagged and confusing city limit lines. Look at most cities in the Central Florida region (Orlando, for example). The city limits will actually run through an older neighborhood and skip one parcel, contain the next, skip another, contain the next two...and so on. Police actually have to stand there and figure out if County Deputies should handle a call or if City PD should (they still have a separate Sheriff's office and City PD down there).
This is exactly why I moved into Berewick = I dont expect to have any activity that requires police involvement beyond fund raising for areas that DO keep them busy. And let's not get started on qualifications for key positions in the Charlotte PD...

Aside from the trash pickup service and, as mentioned in another post, the crown on the street signs, what else would this provide for the citizens (what's my ROI)?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,420,843 times
I'm sorry, it doesn't matter what your ROI is or whether you want it or not.

If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen, and no petition is going to stop it.

My only question is: Were they actually telling people the annexation was coming during the sales process?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,702,341 times
I was never told the City was going to annex Berewick. However, as I drove down on Shopton Road West, after turning right from Steele Creek, I could read the street signs posted by the City regarding their future annexation plans. Those sings were posted last year before I bought my house. So we all knew it was going to happen, but the sales agents should've being a bit more open about it. But anyways, as a consumer we should know what we are buying before signing our life away for 30 years.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,032,811 times
I live in Steele Creek and we where told by our sales agent that we are likely to get annexed at some point.

Poor show on your builders agents for not disclosing.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,471,376 times
We stopped by a McCar model when we first started renting (mid '07) and they couldn't pitch it enough that they were to be annexed "within a year or two."

As far as the ROI...
My point was that the neighborhood is already getting the services that annexed folks get (minus trash pickup). So in my most likely unpopular opinion, they should be annexed and paying City taxes like everyone else. The major intersection realignment of Shopton and Steele Creek is another example of City services rendered to the neighborhood.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm sorry, it doesn't matter what your ROI is or whether you want it or not.

If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen, and no petition is going to stop it.

My only question is: Were they actually telling people the annexation was coming during the sales process?
Thanks for making my point, with a bit of punch I may say.

The fact that there's nothing we can do about it does not mean no attempts should be made to block it. Or is there a reason you'd like to know if people were told it was coming?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Are there details of the annexation plans posted anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
We stopped by a McCar model when we first started renting (mid '07) and they couldn't pitch it enough that they were to be annexed "within a year or two."

As far as the ROI...
My point was that the neighborhood is already getting the services that annexed folks get (minus trash pickup). So in my most likely unpopular opinion, they should be annexed and paying City taxes like everyone else. The major intersection realignment of Shopton and Steele Creek is another example of City services rendered to the neighborhood.
I couldn't find this project on the Charmeck website, but I do see your "most likely unpopular" point. home

I missed the meeting and don't have all the details. If the plan is to annex a larger area that includes Berewick, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. If it only includes Berewick, I'd say it looks lot like big fish eating little fish.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,471,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktime View Post
...Or is there a reason you'd like to know if people were told it was coming?
The reason would be to answer what I initially asked: why would one move somewhere that advertised/advised that the city would be annexing in the next couple of years if that person did not want to be annexed?

If they weren't told by the sales staff, that stinks--especially since the annexation plans are made before dirt starts to move on a project like Berewick (although, I may be the hard a$$ here and say it was the buyer's--of their realtor's--responsibility to find these things out before spending $200k).

Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM

249 posts, read 875,787 times
I live in Berewick and was told that we would be annexed eventually (I purchased over 2 years ago) so by no means am I shocked that it has been proposed.

I don't think anyone wants their taxes to go up but at the same time I'm thinking it will help things like the town center, dixie river road improvements, realignment of shopton w and 160 etc get moving. Hopefully that would be the case.

Getting annexed just doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. What I would like to know is how much my taxes will be going up... I have heard amounts that vary greatly. From my limited research it looks like it will be an increase of around $560/yr on a 200k home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte