Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family of four moving from Syracuse to Charlotte, seeking information on family friendly areas, job outlook for management, retail, call center employment

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,039 times

Advertisements

lovesmountains - thank you for your input. I am looking for input from anyone who is willing to offer it. I appreciate it greatly...

stmaarten - I was thinking Charlotte because it's bigger then Syracuse and not as big as Philly. I've also read/heard some wonderful things. My concern is more for the job market and my kids. I am hoping that since I have so much call center experience, it won't be too hard to find a job - I just started working at the power company up here and found out the National Grid, Duke and Progress all use the same program (might help me when relocating). My husband has managerial skills in the retail industry too.

We won't be able to buy a home, Syracuse hasn't been nice in the arena but would like to rent a small house. Can you suggest some areas that are kid friendly and have a good school system as my oldest would be starting 8th grade down there.

Thanks again for everyone help, its wonderful!

Last edited by kym2175; 10-26-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: messed up somehow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 03:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kym2175 View Post
lovesmountains - thank you for your input. I am looking for input from anyone who is willing to offer it. I appreciate it greatly...

stmaarten - I was thinking Charlotte because it's bigger then Syracuse and not as big as Philly. I've also read/heard some wonderful things. My concern is more for the job market and my kids. I am hoping that since I have so much call center experience, it won't be too hard to find a job - I just started working at the power company up here and found out the National Grid, Duke and Progress all use the same program (might help me when relocating). My husband has managerial skills in the retail industry too.

We won't be able to buy a home, Syracuse hasn't been nice in the arena but would like to rent a small house. Can you suggest some areas that are kid friendly and have a good school system as my oldest would be starting 8th grade down there.

Thanks again for everyone help, its wonderful!
Kym, for a home rental in an area with more desired schools expect to pay at least $1300 a month in Charlotte. If you were to go to one of our neighboring counties you might find something closer to $1000. a month. Is at least $1300 doable for you?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,496 times
Kym, once you both find jobs it will be easier to determine where you should look for rentals. Have you thought about looking into Fort Mill or Rock Hill, SC?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,569 times
I moved down here from NJ over 4 years ago and was trying to decide between Raleigh and Charlotte as well. Raleigh just left too much to be desired and since I was in the financial field rather than the tech fields, Charlotte was the obvious choice. It didn't hurt that Charlotte was more beautiful in our opinion. But, I do have friends in Raleigh that love it there, but like I said, they're in the tech fields.

Finding a job wasn't easy, but actually the pay scale down here is the same as in NJ in my field. I know it's hard to imagine, but it is true. I worked in corporate retail in NY & NJ for over 8 years before moving here, then I had to switch to manufacturing. Since it's all finance related, it wasn't too difficult of a transition. But, my point is that it's not very easy to find something that fits especially when you have many years of experience.

We moved here when the economy was booming and it took me 6 months to find a job in my field. My husband walked into a department store and took the first thing that he could just so we could pay the bills. Right now, it's much tougher. He was out of work for a while and started looking for a job in May... any job... just to pay his bills. Well, he finally landed one last week. It took him 5 months to get a job at a supermarket. That's how hard it is down here lately.

If you are working right now, it might not be the best time to make the move. If you are really itching to though, I suggest, one of you come down first, find a job and then the family to follow. I just don't suggest taking a leap with the entire bunch nowadays. It's just too risky.

You should all come down for a visit though. It's beautiful here. The kids play sports all year long and the people are great. I also think that the kids are subjected to far less questionable advertizing and such than up north. I think that holds true for any where in NC though... from what I've seen and heard.

Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,039 times
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted back to me.... Charlotte is still top on our list but I think we've read some other posts on here that have us a bit scared. I am trying to tell my husband everywhere has crime but one post in here has him very scared - hearing gun shots all the time.... I'm sure this isn't necessarily the norm but it has us a little freaked out....

Thanks again and have a great halloween!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte