Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 AM

15 posts, read 39,078 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a good comparison on traffic that may know the Cleveland, OH or Denver, CO traffic flow? I read that Charlotte traffic is horrible and not sure what to believe since I'm sure everyone's opinion differs based on what you are used to.

My brother used to drive in traffic for work to Cleveland, OH on 480 and there was an accident to contend with most days and it was heavy and fast (not as fast as Denver). I believe (granted...I didn't drive in it on workdays on 480) that I-25 in Denver is worse. One frustration is that if it rains (we may get a whole 5 min. of rain:-) everyone reacts like they are driving on ice and slows way down. We grew up in Ohio...we are used to driving in rain, sleet, snow, ice, fog....you name it. Another frustration is that people on 25 love to hold up traffic to stare at the pretty flashing lights at an accident scene. It took me 20 some min. yesterday to go three miles because there was a three car accident...on the OTHER side of the highway! As soo as we drove past the accident, traffic happily sped right back up to 75mph. We deal with that scenerio very often. I wasn't even close to the Brocos stadium and Coors field which is where it bottlenecks and traffic starts to slow down.

So...for anyone who can compare these areas to Charlotte traffic...in your opinion how does Charlotte traffic fair? BTW...speed limit in many areas on I-25 is 75mph which really means 90:-)

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
I'm from California, so not necessarily related to what you're asking, but I think what has "impressed" me most about the traffic around here is the quality - or lack thereof - of driving skills. I have never had to drive as defensively as I do here!!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I agree w/ Ellemaew . . . drivers here do incredibly dumb things - like suddenly pull in front of you w/o signaling - and refuse to let you merge.

DH has clients in OH and says that people do goofy things around Cleveland - and he gets frustrated there. He gets frustrated here, as well, so maybe it is about the same. Part of our problem here is overcrowding on highways - lack of lanes.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,478 times
Originally from northern Virginia, so Charlotte traffic is relatively easy.....compared. The drivers around here are in their own little world, all they care about is getting from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time possible no matter what. They don't use signals, talk and text on cell phone, when the traffic light is green they slow down, when it's yellow they speed through it. Speed limits...ha ha, I live off a street where the speed limit is 35 and 40, there is a bike lane and sidewalks and a median, some drivers have to make u-turns to turn into their subdivision, well when a car is going 50 or more (yes, I've seen it), it's difficult to do that. Drivers these days, just dont care plain and simple. Everyone is just living in "their" world, and they better move out of the way.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM

I agree...seems no matter what highway you are on, people are just in a big hurry at whatever cost! I guess it is a sad reflection of our fast paced, impersonal society today. You definitely have to be a defensive driver since people are so busy doing everything BUT driving!

I do wonder though how your highways compare to CO's. Sometimes we see wreckers sitting off to the side...just waiting for the accidents to happen. We are still amazed at how many people are on I-25 at 10pm on a weeknight (on the occasion we are on the road at that time), the highway is still pretty busy at that time.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Lived in Colorado Springs 92-95, and drove to Denver often. Drivers here are less courteous here. But, Ive never waited as long in traffic here as I did driving to/from Rockies games in Denver-ever! Traffic really isnt that bad here, compared to most places Ive lived.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
The amount of congestion here is much less than Cleveland, Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, and many more. You will find pockets and certain days where something happens but in general it's not even close. Even in the worst areas the daily slow down around rush hour, mostly around 77 north exit 18-30, 77 south from uptown a bit, 85 and 74 are 10 to 15 minute delays. The three things that impede traffic here are 1) a lack of route alternatives and infrastruture being slow, like the completion of 485; 2) a lack of public transportation, though being reviewed and SLOWLY improving, and 3) drivers don't seem to understand how to drive here. I think that last one has to do with people not used to much traffic at all, i find there is a lack of high speed driving and high traffic experienced drivers here.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Hoagie58

Aside from input on traffic, I am curious how you ended up going from CO to NC? How do you compare the two...do you like NC better?

We really would like to move to NC, but worried about finding jobs...seems it may be tough. Economy is tough everywhere so we may sit tight for awhile and save more money to make the big move.

Thanks so much for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: