Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2006, 09:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,474,076 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what they think of the Concord area. I was looking at a Subdivision in Riverwalk. Has anyone been up there? Also can you tell me what the commute would be like if I worked in Ft Mill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 PM

170 posts, read 566,555 times
Hey there a1m1700, we must be on the same page, because I actually have homes saved under my "favorites" on my computer in Concord. The houses are very nice, and very reasonable!! I found a city website that said Concord was named "All America City" for 2004. But I can't find out much else. Not sure how schools are, either. And you know me, I'm all about schools. That's one thing that keeps drawing me back to Fort Mill.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Can anyone tell me what they think of the Concord area. I was looking at a Subdivision in Riverwalk. Has anyone been up there? Also can you tell me what the commute would be like if I worked in Ft Mill?
Concord: nice town itself. Wonderful old historic district, has a huge medical center, not much in the way of shopping. The construction of Concord Mills pretty much drained any interest away from the town development.

I was looking at the directions to the subdivision. You'd actually be living south of Concord proper. It looks mighty close to the speedway, you'd be dealing with the noise from the track a couple weeks out of the year, as well as the traffic. we lived in Concord for several years and heard the races.

The I-485 loop will take you around Charlotte, speeding the commute south, and you'll have many shopping temptations, living so close to Concord Mills The last time we were down there, the area still seemed to have a bit of country feel. You'll probably have the benefit of that for a time.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,474,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Concord: nice town itself. Wonderful old historic district, has a huge medical center, not much in the way of shopping. The construction of Concord Mills pretty much drained any interest away from the town development.

I was looking at the directions to the subdivision. You'd actually be living south of Concord proper. It looks mighty close to the speedway, you'd be dealing with the noise from the track a couple weeks out of the year, as well as the traffic. we lived in Concord for several years and heard the races.

The I-485 loop will take you around Charlotte, speeding the commute south, and you'll have many shopping temptations, living so close to Concord Mills The last time we were down there, the area still seemed to have a bit of country feel. You'll probably have the benefit of that for a time.

Thank you so much for the info. I was looking into crime and and it didn't look too bad compared to some others. I don't think the noise will bother me a few months out of the year.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 17,577 times
Default Move to Concord

The Concord Area:

Some areas are nice depending on where you are looking I wiorked as Police Officer in Concord for many years.

Stay away from the Bottoms which is the lincoln street projects, or most places inside the City limits.

One great way to find out about an area is to call the Police Dept and ask about calls for service in the neighborhood you are interested in. What type of calls. Domestics, Drunk and Disorderly, Drugs Possessions, Ect.

The Police dept # is 704-920-5000 Cabarrus county where Concord is Located is 704-920-3000 Ask and they will tell you.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM

110 posts, read 394,349 times
Concord- very lovely. Very quiet and countrylike. Lowe's Motor Speedway is HUGE ! Mammoth ! I've never seen anything like it. I'm still getting adjusted to all the quiet. People seem friendly. I think it is a good place to live.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:54 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,910,283 times
I live in Concord. My wife teaches in a middle school here and loves it. One of the best school systems in NC. The speedway noise is a non-isse for us (we live 3 miles away). You can only really hear it about 3-4 WEEKS a year, and even then it's not the end of the world. Not bad for the tax revenue it generates. No shopping? Not ture. Concord Mills Mall is the biggest tourist attraction in NC/SC. Plus there are many, many other places to shop/eat here, as much (or more) as any other city its size (about 67,000 people). Dead downtown? Not true. It's one of the most attractive downtowns I've seen of a town it's size, and the establishments there have great business. We visit often. Very family-friendly area. GREAT hospital. Seems really safe. I've never felt threatened. Nice freeway access to Charlotte. Love living here and don't plan on leaving. BUT, if I were working in Ft. Mill, I'd live there. Even during "off" times, it's a good 35 minute drive from Concord. Ft. Mill's a great place to live, very safe, lower taxes, and awesome schools. Good luck in your decision!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte