Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,873 times

Advertisements

I have read so many post and searched tons of internet sites trying to locate an ideal area to relocate to in the summer. My husband has a maintenance certificate so he plans to look for work in Charlotte . Now the confusing stuff, I have read all the post in this forum and I am still trying to decipher all of it. We plan to start looking in Mt Holly for a place to rent for a few years until we have had more time to explore the area and find somewhere we really like. Would this be a good area, what I mean by good is fairly safe, warm, and inviting ppl with a decent High school for my 16 yr old. We enjoy dining out and doing plenty of fishing, as well as walking. Or would it be better to look further east (without being too far from Charlotte) I sur would appreciate a little direction, I am totally lost. My sis resides near Nebo but too far from industry to consider. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 PM

91 posts, read 253,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
I have read so many post and searched tons of internet sites trying to locate an ideal area to relocate to in the summer. My husband has a maintenance certificate so he plans to look for work in Charlotte . Now the confusing stuff, I have read all the post in this forum and I am still trying to decipher all of it. We plan to start looking in Mt Holly for a place to rent for a few years until we have had more time to explore the area and find somewhere we really like. Would this be a good area, what I mean by good is fairly safe, warm, and inviting ppl with a decent High school for my 16 yr old. We enjoy dining out and doing plenty of fishing, as well as walking. Or would it be better to look further east (without being too far from Charlotte) I sur would appreciate a little direction, I am totally lost. My sis resides near Nebo but too far from industry to consider. Thanks.
Can I just ask why you decided to look in Mt Holly? Don't get me wrong, I am just curious. There are so many great places around with great schools.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:39 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,919 times
Mt. Holly is nice. The high school there is East Gaston, not sure how it ranks. Belmont would be a good choice and has a really good high school (South Point). Other towns with good schools and close to the lake areas are Mooresville, Ft. Mill, and Lake Wylie (Clover schools). Good luck!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM

Talking Why I chose Mt Holly

We chose Mt Holly because we wanted to be in close proximity to Charlotte and Gastonia, but not live in a highly populated area. It seemed to have lots of charm, but also considering Belmont. It really depends on finding a house to rent. I am opened to any areas to the west of Charlotte. I have heard the schools in Belmont are better. Thanks for the well wishes, and please forward any advice you have, I am very open to change.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
Wink postulating about nc

we too are looking in to relocating to NC. We are looking in the mt holly area, as well as gastonia, bessemer city, and surrounding areas. My husband has his own business, doing heavy equipment operation and servicing. Trying to get it up and running here in UT has been difficult, not being mormon, but also construction has come to a stand still. my kids (for those discussing moving with teens) are more open to the idea now than they were at first, but i've looked in to christian schools, churches in the area and which ones have the best youth programs, etc. to get my kids plugged in ASAP. I've been in contact with someone who lives in the area and attends the church we are looking to attend, as well. She has given me inside information on schools, areas, etc. That has helped. plus we have other friends/coworkers that are also moving to the area, and so my husband has work, and will be looking to hire some people once he gets established (we are praying) around the Denver/Lake Norman area.

Still nervous about the bug and snake situation - don't like critters! not just in my home, but i have a little one i am concerned about, and want to be sure he's safe.

so, ok, enough postulating for now. just info, and concerns, i'm sharing, should anyone care to respond, that would be great.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
jadbad2004 what type of maintenance certificate does your husband have, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Maintenance certificate

My husband has a certificate as a industrial electrician, he recently took on another job as an electrician contractor and is considering taking the state test so that he could gain employment wiring new homes, he also has quite a bit of plumbing knowledge and has in the past ran a waste water treatment plant. So if anyone knows the best way for him to approach the job market or employment agencies in the area please feel free to send me anything. I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks so much for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte