Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 24,180 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Wellington, FL. It is a fast growing affluent area. Our home burned down in the last hurricaine and we are currently renting. We are contemplating re-building on our 1 acre lot with lake and pool however it has no sidewalks, security, no amenities for the kids and it's really hard to meet people. The taxes here are outragous!!! But our land is amazing.
I started looking into Charlotte because a couple of friends are re-locating. I wouldn't know anyone so being in an area with families (because I have a 2, 9 and 12 year old) is important.
A realtor has suggested brookhaven, marvin creek, ballytyne country club, providence downs.
The homes are pretty pricey with no private pool or lake but great amentities.
Does anyone have any opinion as to which community would be the best to meet people really easily, good schools, major shopping within 20 minutes, not to far from airport or downtown.
We would like a 5 bedroom 5 bathroom or 4 bathroom with basement or attic if possible.
Am I being to particular or should I just rebuild in Florida. Please give me all opinions.

Thanks,
K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,952 times
Well I get the impression being on the lake is important for you. SO you can try and look at the Santuary it is on the Charlotte side of Lake Wylie. Not to much traffic compared to other bigger metropolitan areas. The lots are huge they start around 2acres and then you work with a costume builder since most production builder's in Charlotte don't do that many basements and attics. The ones that do make the attic like a playroom or guest bedroom. And the basements generally are here are walkout, which is great since you get lots of natural light.
These communities are on the higher-end of the sprectum but it has the qualities your talking about large lots with some waterfront acess great annematies and lots of children.

Crescent is the developer that did the Ballantyne CC.
http://www.crescent-resources.com/communit/wylie/sanctuary/default.asp (broken link)

Lakeshore on LakeWylie is is on the SC side in Tega Cay. They fall under the desirable Fort Mill school district.
http://www.lakeshoreonlakewylie.com/

A new waterfront home on an acre run abouts 700K and they also come with walkout basements
http://www.saussyburbank.com/charlotte/communities/inventory.asp?commid=8 (broken link)

And in the Palisades also in the NC side of lake is another desirable with lots of builders starting in the 300's and to the 1 or 2 mil range. This masterplan community will have 2 school a pulbic and private one as well as a commerical center.
http://www.thepalisades.info/
\\Feel free to PM me if you need any more information!

P.S
Lake Davidson Point is another Lake community. Its on Lake Norman and the homes have lakeviews with the dock for the boats.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:06 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,172,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichman65 View Post
I am currently living in Wellington, FL. It is a fast growing affluent area. Our home burned down in the last hurricaine and we are currently renting. We are contemplating re-building on our 1 acre lot with lake and pool however it has no sidewalks, security, no amenities for the kids and it's really hard to meet people. The taxes here are outragous!!! But our land is amazing.
I started looking into Charlotte because a couple of friends are re-locating. I wouldn't know anyone so being in an area with families (because I have a 2, 9 and 12 year old) is important.
A realtor has suggested brookhaven, marvin creek, ballytyne country club, providence downs.
The homes are pretty pricey with no private pool or lake but great amentities.
Does anyone have any opinion as to which community would be the best to meet people really easily, good schools, major shopping within 20 minutes, not to far from airport or downtown.
We would like a 5 bedroom 5 bathroom or 4 bathroom with basement or attic if possible.
Am I being to particular or should I just rebuild in Florida. Please give me all opinions.

Thanks,
K.
I think those are all good suggestions in this area -- there may be other options for you depending on which of your criteria are "must haves" vs. "wish list" Brookhaven is nice, but at this point is a little further away from shopping areas than the other communities you cited. (I say "at this point" because there is a lot of building going on near there, and it seems the retailers are following the new homes )

Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I think those are all good suggestions in this area -- there may be other options for you depending on which of your criteria are "must haves" vs. "wish list" Brookhaven is nice, but at this point is a little further away from shopping areas than the other communities you cited. (I say "at this point" because there is a lot of building going on near there, and it seems the retailers are following the new homes )

thank you for answering me. Out of the developments that I mentioned, which in your opinion has the best family life. Meaning things to do for the family? My lake view is nice but certainly not a necessity. Let me know any suggestion or things that I might not be considering.

Thanks,
K

Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post

Thank you for answering me. Actually, my acre lot on the water was beautiful, but I would forgoe that to have amenities and family life. The acre was really nice, but it was just a little big to walk to your neighbor's house. I think .25, .50 or .75 acres would even be better. I am just NOT interested in zero lot line. I here the Ballantyne area has everything right near there with a country club as well. Do you think that the Ballantyne area is better or is something like Marvin Creek or Brookhaven more preferred. Everytime I speak with someone, they seem to push or mention Brookhaven to me. What is the difference in your opinion between the Ballantyne Country Club Homes vs. Brookhaven vs. Marvin Creek. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
K

Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,172,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichman65 View Post
Thank you for answering me. Actually, my acre lot on the water was beautiful, but I would forgoe that to have amenities and family life. The acre was really nice, but it was just a little big to walk to your neighbor's house. I think .25, .50 or .75 acres would even be better. I am just NOT interested in zero lot line. I here the Ballantyne area has everything right near there with a country club as well. Do you think that the Ballantyne area is better or is something like Marvin Creek or Brookhaven more preferred. Everytime I speak with someone, they seem to push or mention Brookhaven to me. What is the difference in your opinion between the Ballantyne Country Club Homes vs. Brookhaven vs. Marvin Creek. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
K
Don't get me wrong, Brookhaven is beautiful -- there are still opportunities to build there (as in Marvin Creek). The builder there is John Wieland, who IMO builds a very nice house. It is just a little further out from the shopping areas, while Ballantyne and Marvin Creek are more convenient. In Ballantyne Country Club, you will likely have dues (type of dues run with the house, i.e. golf membership). HOA fees generally cover common area maintenance, pool maintenance, that sort of thing.) Feel free to PM me -- I can help you in your home search if you like. I can send you a relocation packet along with area maps, and/or pick up some brochures from the builders for you. Let me know and best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte