Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:12 AM

195 posts, read 538,585 times

Advertisements

Hey Lottie-
Both of these neighborhoods are wonderful, just make sure if you buy a home there you get a broker that is familiar with the area. There are some streets that are better than others.
Loves is correct. I wouldn't worry at all about crime in Dilworth, the neighbors are only being pro-active in making sure it stays a solid, safe area.
Property values are historically fantastic and you can walk to just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,698 times
Yes LovesMountains is correct! There are a few houses in Elizabeth that were built at the turn of the century, especially on Clement. Dilworth and Elizabeth were the fashionable neighborhoods before Myers Park and Eastover were developed. The Elizabeth neighborhood that we know now, was basically five different developements (Highland Park, Rosemont, Elizabeth Heights, Piedmont Park and Oakhurst) that were built between the 1890's to the 1930's, which eventually merged into the Elizabeth neighborhood we know today. It is why the neighborhood has an interesting stock of architectural styles, ranging from the Late Victorian, classic American Square, Arts & Craft, Bungalow, and Cottage styles.

The two neighborhoods have a very dedicated neighborhood community associations that love their neighborhood and encourage a sense of commoradity between neighbors.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Strong View Post
Hey Lottie-
Both of these neighborhoods are wonderful, just make sure if you buy a home there you get a broker that is familiar with the area. There are some streets that are better than others.
Loves is correct. I wouldn't worry at all about crime in Dilworth, the neighbors are only being pro-active in making sure it stays a solid, safe area.
Property values are historically fantastic and you can walk to just about anywhere.
I wouldnt paint a picture that Dilworth is totally safe. There is crime in Dilworth and the neighbors can only do so much.
I recollect last year a woman had a stalker .
Moe's restaurant owner shot
and just last week My church was holding a funeral reception and while that was going on cars in the parking lot was being broke into.
I feel comfortable in Dilworth but I limit where I go at night and I would never leave any doors or windows open.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
SunnyKayak, no offense but most of the crimes you mention aren't really indicative of a "bad neighborhood. Moe's shooting was a disgruntled employee. A stalker can happen in ANY neighborhood. The car break-in thing happens all across town. So, I think Dilworth for the most part is fine. For some reason, though, that shell station at East and South always seems a little sketchy to me. Don't know why.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Just to add to the crime aspect, living anywhere so close to the city is going to subject you to more crime than being further out in the suburbs. In Dilworth (and most other near neighborhoods) the crime has typically been stuff stolen out of cars and minor property offenses. In the past year, there has been increased crime involving home Breaking and enterings and a few very scary incidents involving robberies of residents.

That said, the residents of Dilworth are VERY involved and proactive about protecting their wonderful neighborhood.

Dilworth is a fabulous place to live. Great people, beautiful old houses. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 PM

26 posts, read 85,296 times
I live in Dilworth and would be happy to answer any questions you have as you look into the area more.

I love, love, love the area. The neighborhood association is wonderful - they have several Dilworth events to bring the neighbors together (hosted in someone's house!). They are proactive about making Dilworth a good place to live and very family friendly. We have Latta and Freedom parks - which are great, many great restaurants and boutiques, great schools, are a few steps from Uptown - which means a lot of us are out walking all the time (we love the walkability!). Yes, it isn't cheap, that's a given.

As for the Moe's incident, like PP said, this was not a random act in an unsafe area. This was a mentally unstable, disgruntled employee who was fired after inappropriate behavior and had a target. Moe's was packed once it reopened as the community showed its support. We still love eating there - especially on Monday's clown night.

Yes, we have hired off duty police to patrol the area. MANY close-in neighborhoods/streets have as well...sections of Myers Park, Freedom Park, Eastover have as well. We are sending the message we do not tolerate any crime and we are going to make sure it's known. If you look on the CMPD website that details the major crimes, it is rare to find anything in Dilworth, espec compared to other areas.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,722 times
Default Dilworth or Elizabeth... they are both great!

I live in the edge of Dilworth in Forest Park and can vouch for it... everything is near by, I don't drive more than a 10 miles a day ... and I'm a real estate agent. Most of my clients love living around here too. My office is in Elizabeth and it is terrific. Great restaurants, coffee shops, great people... walk to lots of stuff...
Check out the website HipHoods.com of Charlotte, North Carolina there is a lot of info on Elizabeth and other intown neighborhoods. Here is a video about Elizabeth you might like to see.

YouTube - Elizabeth Neighborhood, Charlotte NC

Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
We moved to Dilworth in June, and love it so far. Yes, there are a couple of terrible examples of tear downs/McMansions on our street...but by and large, it's a very attractive and livable neighborhood. Love the convenience and walkability, and have met some great neighbors thus far. There are a ton of young couples and young families on our street.

We moved from a more urban/transitional neighborhood, so the crime thing seems a bit overblown to me. Haven't seen any clubs on cars, people leave bikes, nice porch furniture and other accessories out in plain sight, etc...Sure there are things you can do like better lighting, alarms, knowing your neighbors, etc...but it certainly doesn't feel like a neighborhood under siege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte