Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,718,240 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying a house in Charlotte for "me". "Me" is an out of state real estate investor and I would like to buy a house that I can have for my own personal use and become a part-time resident of Charlotte. But, here's what I have in mind and perhaps it's not doable.

I want a house VERY close to uptown. The closer the better.
I want a cottage type house that I can gut renovate. I have no concern for what it might look like now as I will completly renovate.
Parking on property for a least one car.Space for 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.
Budget--would not spend more than 100,000 and of course would like to spend less considering my renovation.
Additionally, if this could be a duplex-all the better as I would not be there full time I would like someone there and the extra bit of income.(and raise my budget price)

Is this possible and in what neighborhoods should I look?

Something just occured to me while typing--I would entertain the idea of splitting a duplex (as partners) if anyone was interested.
TIA
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,324,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I want a house VERY close to uptown. The closer the better. Budget--would not spend more than 100,000 and of course would like to spend less considering my renovation.
I am not sure this is possible even in Matthews, but will be interested in what others have to say.
Would love to pick up a half dozen fixer-uppers for that price in Dilworth/Elizabeth!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,657 times
If I was you I would join some of the Yahoo! groups and see if you could pick something up from a wholesaler. Metrolina REIA might be a good one. However normally there are not to many great deals to find. Anything in that price point will be in a "rougher" part of town and may not do to well being left vacant at periods of times especially if your leaving something of value inside.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
If I was you I would join some of the Yahoo! groups and see if you could pick something up from a wholesaler. Metrolina REIA might be a good one. However normally there are not to many great deals to find. Anything in that price point will be in a "rougher" part of town and may not do to well being left vacant at periods of times especially if your leaving something of value inside.
Yeah - and translate "something of value" to mean a stove, fridge, etc. LOL!!!

Do you need to be close in b/c of transportation?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 AM

...or the A/C unit outside. However people will make a cage and install it for you for $200. Johne482 how about a little further out from town.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
...or the A/C unit outside. However people will make a cage and install it for you for $200. Johne482 how about a little further out from town.
How far? where?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah - and translate "something of value" to mean a stove, fridge, etc. LOL!!!

Do you need to be close in b/c of transportation?
Ani---I'm thinking of a couple of reasons.I have never ever lived in the surburbs
number one. I like city life (like your uptown). Have mixed feeling about spending a nite in town and then travelling more than 10-15 minutes in a city I don't know well at night.

Of course, I don't need my ac and fridge taken while I am dilly dalling in NY.
(I guess the white wine will get warm?--No they will take that too.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
How far? where?
I guess it really depends on what your looking for, I think S.Charlotte would be ideal but still your not going to get much if anything for $100K. You could always get something around the North Lake Mall area which would be a quick drive to Uptown. Wait long enough and the light rail might show up

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
I am thinking of buying a house in Charlotte for "me". "Me" is an out of state real estate investor and I would like to buy a house that I can have for my own personal use and become a part-time resident of Charlotte. But, here's what I have in mind and perhaps it's not doable.

I want a house VERY close to uptown. The closer the better.
I want a cottage type house that I can gut renovate. I have no concern for what it might look like now as I will completly renovate.
Parking on property for a least one car.Space for 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.
Budget--would not spend more than 100,000 and of course would like to spend less considering my renovation.
Additionally, if this could be a duplex-all the better as I would not be there full time I would like someone there and the extra bit of income.(and raise my budget price)

Is this possible and in what neighborhoods should I look?

Something just occured to me while typing--I would entertain the idea of splitting a duplex (as partners) if anyone was interested.
TIA
John

That "VERY close to uptown" criteria will not get you within 5 miles of uptown in that price range without being in very challenged neighborhoods. The kind I wouldn't recommend to anyone, heck the people already living in them most likely wish they weren't stuck there. It would be one thing if you were going to gut and rennovate and then be there day in and day out - your property might be safer - but being a part-time resident? I just wouldn't advise this, sorry.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
How far? where?
Give us your distance range so we can tell you where, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte