Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times

Advertisements

Hi
Looking for some opinions about these 2 schools.
We have a house in LKN High district and are planning to live there eventually.
However I have heard a few things recently that made me think that it may not be the school for our Son.
Just interested to hear from people with opinions about either.
I know academically they are pretty similar, but I was thinking more socially.
He is very down to earth,quite young for his age and not at all trendy and hip at 13 years old! And of course he will have a funny accent too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
strange, I have heard absolutely nothing but great things about LKNHS.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
strange, I have heard absolutely nothing but great things about LKNHS.
Do you have children that attend the school?
I was perturbed to hear from the Mother of a pupil who was graduating that if the family couldn't afford to pay for the gown purchase (and some other fees I think) they would not be allowed to attend graduation.
Here in England they wouldn't be allowed to stipulate that as it would be seen as discriminatory.
Apprently most other high schools allow hire of graduation gowns.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,296 times
My son will be a Junior next year at Mooresville HS & I can't say enough good things about his experience there so far. He came from a small, Catholic school in NY (22 kids in his 8th grade graduation class) that he attended since PreK-3. He had no problem transitioning from so small a school to a class with 450 students in it. The kids at MHS are very sociable & accepting of who you are. All of the teachers that he's had so far have been very good. They have all been very accessible, professional & offered or had extra time after school & review classes for any student that might have needed them. Academically & socially, my son is doing VERY well at MHS. And yes, MHS does have it's share of problem students, teenage issues & drugs just like LKNHS, every school does.

My friend' son (who also attended the same school in NYgrades Pre K3-3rd) went to LKNHS for his freshman year while they rented & waited for their house to be built. She couldn't wait to get him out of there & into MHS. The teachers were not responsive to your questions or concerns and she felt the kids there were snobbish. Her son is much happier at MHS.

My advice would be to take a tour of both schools (any school for that matter) and see for yourself. We did & are very happy with our decision.

GOOD LUCK!! BxRosie

Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
My son will be a Junior next year at Mooresville HS & I can't say enough good things about his experience there so far. He came from a small, Catholic school in NY (22 kids in his 8th grade graduation class) that he attended since PreK-3. He had no problem transitioning from so small a school to a class with 450 students in it. The kids at MHS are very sociable & accepting of who you are. All of the teachers that he's had so far have been very good. They have all been very accessible, professional & offered or had extra time after school & review classes for any student that might have needed them. Academically & socially, my son is doing VERY well at MHS. And yes, MHS does have it's share of problem students, teenage issues & drugs just like LKNHS, every school does.

My friend' son (who also attended the same school in NYgrades Pre K3-3rd) went to LKNHS for his freshman year while they rented & waited for their house to be built. She couldn't wait to get him out of there & into MHS. The teachers were not responsive to your questions or concerns and she felt the kids there were snobbish. Her son is much happier at MHS.

My advice would be to take a tour of both schools (any school for that matter) and see for yourself. We did & are very happy with our decision.

GOOD LUCK!! BxRosie
Thanks so much. I will be interested to see if anyone counter-replies to your post.
We visited Brawley middle over a year ago when we first got job offers, but there is such a backlog for visas,he will probably be in high school by the time we get there!
Here we can chose from more than 1 high school. It may be that some of the schools offered are out of your own exact area.One of them would always be the nearest school.Would there be any way that a child in a catchment area for 1 high school could go to another over there? I guess transport would be a problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Do you have children that attend the school?
I was perturbed to hear from the Mother of a pupil who was graduating that if the family couldn't afford to pay for the gown purchase (and some other fees I think) they would not be allowed to attend graduation.
Here in England they wouldn't be allowed to stipulate that as it would be seen as discriminatory.
Apprently most other high schools allow hire of graduation gowns.
no, no children quite at that age yet. But I have friends in the area that attend and haven't heard anything bad?

The school I went to in FL was the same way. If you didn't have the gown, you couldn't ATTEND graduation. You could still graduate, but its like being invited to a black tie affair and showing up in shorts and a tank top, you aren't going to be allowed in.

I understand financial issues, but this is a graduation, i'd sell my blood to see my kids walk down that aisle. I would also check all resources for a second hand gown, maybe one from a previous senior that graduated, if possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: