Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM

9,017 posts, read 20,437,658 times

Advertisements

We moved here last Oct and I'm still without a job. My career has been in Purchasing and Inventory Control/Management. I don't have a Degree, but did attend a University Extension for a couple of years. I'm not "certified" in anything, but have/still am taking classes in Distribution/Logistics to become a CPM. I completely know how to use a computer and use Purchasing/Inventory type software. So, why am I having such a problem???
I was told that most of the people that work in these areas don't quit their jobs here in the Charlotte and surrounding areas. I've been looking in the north Charlotte/Huntersville and above area with basically no success. I'm too darn old and have way to much experience to go back and work in a warehouse.
Any suggestions/help?
Wife had a hard time finding a job here also, but finally got one in Accounting that pays fairly good money or we would be in a "World of do-do"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,620,490 times
Have you checked in SC? I have noticed a lot of what appear to be distribution centers S of CLT. I would check w/ everything from hospitals to furniture and parts manufacturers to food warehouses. Everyone needs inventory control.

Part of the problem is your age. Age discrimination exists and everyone I know who has had to find a job after 50 has had a problem - including execs. The only time I have known anyone who did NOT have a problem - they got a new job while they still had a job. For some reason, if you are over 50 and out of work, it is a strike against you. And, there are certain fields, such as w/ hospital jobs (nursing, rad tech, etc) and teaching (college - if you have the right degrees) that seem to hire after 50.

Rather than applying online, try to find out where to apply AT THE FACILITY. Sometimes, that can open doors.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM

870 posts, read 3,532,912 times
Don't look in the big distribution areas, warehousing, etc. Stick to smaller, more obscure businesses.
I remember a couple days back seeing that CMC Hospital was looking for a purchasing/inventory person. Don't know if that is still open.
Best if you show up in person rather than apply everywhere online. With as many resumes being submitted for jobs, the HR people do not look at them.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM

9,017 posts, read 20,437,658 times
One thing, nothing on my resume' tells my age of 59. Dates do tell late 40's, but that is it. Just don't want to drive all the way down to south Charlotte or beyond. I spent 4 1/2 years driving 28 miles to and from our house in Parker, CO to downtown Denver, CO. One of the reasons we had for moving here was to live close to Lake Norman for boating fun. We have seen property next to Lake Wyle and just don't like Lake Wyle or the property we've seen.
What I'm going to do is distribute my resume' to businesses along Sam Furr Road (toward Concord) and along WT Harris Blvd area. Then I going to go down to Tryon Street off of the 77 and see how that goes.
If the job searching doesn't get any better by Oct (apartment lease will be up), we might just have to move one more time......looking at Florida for that. One of the "boating Capitols of the U.S.!!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,612,745 times
Look into Lincoln County around the Lincoln Industrial Park for instance Crate & Barrel they are planning on expanding and also check Gaston county.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing, nothing on my resume' tells my age of 59. Dates do tell late 40's, but that is it. Just don't want to drive all the way down to south Charlotte or beyond. I spent 4 1/2 years driving 28 miles to and from our house in Parker, CO to downtown Denver, CO. One of the reasons we had for moving here was to live close to Lake Norman for boating fun. We have seen property next to Lake Wyle and just don't like Lake Wyle or the property we've seen.
What I'm going to do is distribute my resume' to businesses along Sam Furr Road (toward Concord) and along WT Harris Blvd area. Then I going to go down to Tryon Street off of the 77 and see how that goes.
If the job searching doesn't get any better by Oct (apartment lease will be up), we might just have to move one more time......looking at Florida for that. One of the "boating Capitols of the U.S.!!
Well, you can move . . . but it seems more logical - rather than pulling up and moving - that you take a job even w/ a commute - and then you can keep looking for another job closer to your place, I guess. Or get an apartment closer to your work. I mean - so you have to haul a boat to the lake . . . or you have to drive to work. You are really limiting yourself if you are not willing to commute 20 miles. Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 PM

22,413 posts, read 29,568,306 times
Love-where in FL are you thinking of moving to?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,811,332 times
Have you checked any of the warehouses on the NC/SC border? Westinghouse Blvd. area? Send me a DM and I can possibly help you.

Jake

Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Have you checked any of the warehouses on the NC/SC border? Westinghouse Blvd. area? Send me a DM and I can possibly help you.

Jake
He doesn't want to commute that far. I had mentioned that earlier - thinking the same thing you are, Jake. Seemed like a plan to me.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,757,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I spent 4 1/2 years driving 28 miles to and from our house in Parker, CO to downtown Denver, CO. !
Look, unless you don't have to work for a living, you have to bend a little....

If you like where you live, you might have to look a little further than "20 miles" possibly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte