Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

LB - I moved from CT where my commute was 4 miles. I drive 33 miles one way to Lancaster, SC now. You gotta do what you gotta do. I would have driven to any of the companies in the University area from Fort Mill if I had to. Not only is that distance daunting, the traffic is horrific and gas is outrageous. But some cash flow is better than no cash flow, and no I am not a spring chicken either. I run into Procurement jobs all the time while searching for Finance. Maybe you should refine your search words when you look for jobs...Premier, Inc. for example has procurement jobs. Belk had some at one point. Black & Decker distribution center is here in Fort Mill near Westinghouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:48 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
After a person gets to a certain age, too long of a commute to work isn't good. I will be 59 next month and wife is already 60. In fact, my wife's job is relocating to Concord in Sept. Right now she drives 1 mile to work, but when they move it will be about 28 miles. She won't like the drive and may have to quit. If we end up moving out of the State, we do. I'm not ready to retire yet and really want to go back to work, but if my type of work isn't available here, we will have to do something else.
Another problem: When working in Purchasing, I didn't do any Contracts or Negociations; the Buyer had already done all of that with our vendors. And, I don't have a Degree or a Certificate for Purchasing and mosts jobs ask for both. Have the "ordering" and Inventory Management experience, just no Degree or Certification (for now). Am currently taking an on-line class for Distribution/Logistics so am hoping that will help. Have taken other classes for Purchasing also. Don't want to change careers b/c I love working in Purchasing/Materials/Inventory Control.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 PM

We have noticed a number of companys off of the 73 eastbound towards Concord, on WT Harris going eastbound and off of Statesville and WT Harris. I will "flood" these areas with my resume' before giving another thought about going down south. The above areas are much, much closer to us than Fort Mill or Westinghouse is.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Think out of the box, LoveB. Check the hospitals' websites...Presby and CMC. You never know. I believe Hunter Douglas has its corp HQ up there in Concord. AT&T has a hefty SCM group in Charlotte...off Arrowood, but you will have to travel to the different retail locations to make sure inventory is up to snuff. Good luck! Try to tailor your resumes to a targeted company instead of using a template one.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,008 times
What about Lowe's Home Improvement? They are up that way. Here's an old thread with some info that might help you.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...otte-area.html

Old 05-22-2008, 06:16 AM

I'm "picky" at what I want because my wife and I want me to be! Monday thru Friday only, day shift only, NO driving around (have an office in one location and stay there). I've spent previous years of driving and doing
"pick-ups and deliveries" or whatever.....don't want that anymore. I wouldn't mind going into a warehouse to check on inventory, but I'm an "office person" now and that is what I love. I like using my brain more than my back (lifting) now.
I do want a job, but can be more pitcular about what I take because my wife makes a very good salary as a Sr. Financial Analyst and she wants me to get what we both want me to have. I do love this lady!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Think out of the box, LoveB. Check the hospitals' websites...Presby and CMC. You never know. I believe Hunter Douglas has its corp HQ up there in Concord. AT&T has a hefty SCM group in Charlotte...off Arrowood, but you will have to travel to the different retail locations to make sure inventory is up to snuff. Good luck! Try to tailor your resumes to a targeted company instead of using a template one.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
What about contacting Ikea who are moving to the University area. They have just changte their despacting software I believe but you might be able to find out what they are using and up your skills in that particular software. Good luck

Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I'm "picky" at what I want because my wife and I want me to be! Monday thru Friday only, day shift only, NO driving around (have an office in one location and stay there). I've spent previous years of driving and doing
"pick-ups and deliveries" or whatever.....don't want that anymore. I wouldn't mind going into a warehouse to check on inventory, but I'm an "office person" now and that is what I love. I like using my brain more than my back (lifting) now.
I do want a job, but can be more pitcular about what I take because my wife makes a very good salary as a Sr. Financial Analyst and she wants me to get what we both want me to have. I do love this lady!!!
Well, sounds like you are not that serious about really finding work. No offense, LB, but you have complained about not having a job for months now. I have had to take contracts for months on end away from my family to do my job. So has my DH. I don't get the objection to some commuting time. If you need a job, you do what it takes.

So it sounds to me that you really do not want a job.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!! Just because I don't want the commute (and my wife agrees with that) doesn't mean I don't want to go back to work. If I can find a job closer to Huntersville, why in the heck should I be looking in South Charlotte or that area??? And, if I don't find a job close to here by the time our lease is up at this apartment, we may decide to move out of the State and go somewhere where we both can find a job. I do have a "special" situation because my wife is making a very nice salary right now, but I do want to go back to work. I just won't take any job/salary/location that comes along because I don't have to!! And, my wife agrees with this. Heck, all I need is her support, which I HAVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, sounds like you are not that serious about really finding work. No offense, LB, but you have complained about not having a job for months now. I have had to take contracts for months on end away from my family to do my job. So has my DH. I don't get the objection to some commuting time. If you need a job, you do what it takes.

So it sounds to me that you really do not want a job.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!! Just because I don't want the commute (and my wife agrees with that) doesn't mean I don't want to go back to work. If I can find a job closer to Huntersville, why in the heck should I be looking in South Charlotte or that area??? And, if I don't find a job close to here by the time our lease is up at this apartment, we may decide to move out of the State and go somewhere where we both can find a job. I do have a "special" situation because my wife is making a very nice salary right now, but I do want to go back to work. I just won't take any job/salary/location that comes along because I don't have to!! And, my wife agrees with this. Heck, all I need is her support, which I HAVE!!
Not trying to argue w/ you, LB. You are a fortunate person to have a caring spouse, so in no way am I disparaging that or the decisions you and your DW have made.

However, that being said, you have complained about not having a job for months, but the truth of the matter is - there are jobs out there but you are not interested - you have a very limited area you are willing to work in. I mean, what does that say to those of us who have tried to give you ideas and suggestions? It says . . . you really only want a job IF it is w/in a radius of - what? 3 miles? 5 miles? 8 miles? of your home.

So all this time you have been saying - things are so bad here, I can't get a job . . . the actual facts are . . . you are not even willing to LOOK AT a job that is not w/in xxx distance from your front door.

Your complaints seem disingenuous. There is a big difference between "I can't find a job - I am desperate - why won't someone help me find something" and "I want a job but only if it is less than 5 miles from my house."

The job market in Charlotte is not the problem. The problem is w/ your expectations and all the qualifiers you have put on WHERE you are willing to drive to secure employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte